Hop To
F
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
Hello All,
<br>
<br>I am an unrepentant fan of short action bolt actions rifles for their quick easy handling and
<br>portability due to their light weight, compact size, and short bolt throws. I have recently been
<br>searching for a capable big game cartridge that would fit in one of the Mini-Mausers. I had all but
<br>resigned to chambering one for one of the handgun silhouette cartridges as a woods companion
<br>rifle and staying with my 600 as the shortest that could handle a true game cartridge. The catalysts
<br>that provided the inspiration to take the next step and design the .416 The Americas Stalker, or
<br>.416 TAS, were the .416 Beartooth of Mr. Stanton and Mr. Gates and the Brockman .50
<br>Beowulf.
<br>
<br>First I want all to know that I am an absolute beginner at cartridge design with limited applicable
<br>background, thus "Wildcats 101 and Ballistics 201" advice and information are both needed and
<br>welcome. I am posting a similar message on several forums to gain information and opinions. A
<br>first time designer is also, I hope, allowed the indulgence of using his initials in his cartridge's
<br>name: TAS for Todd Anthony Servaes. The Americas Stalker was also chosen because it is very
<br>descriptive of what I believe the round can do. Because with a good stalk, which is aided by the
<br>handling qualities and portability of the rifles ( with some pressure cautions the 336ER and 94BB
<br>levers can also be chambered for it ) for which it was designed, the .416 TAS should prove very
<br>adequate to excellent for taking any game in the Americas.
<br>
<br>The .416 TAS is based on the .240 Weatherby case cut to 1.850" and necked for .416 bullets.
<br>This case length is the longest that allows a cartridge overall length with the Beartooth 375 grain
<br>bullet that can fit the magazines of some of the Mini-Mausers without modification. The .240
<br>Weatherby was chosen because of its' belt for head spacing this straight rimless case and because
<br>its' .473" head diameter is the largest any of these mini actions can handle well and without
<br>modification. A scaled drawing is attached. In short the .416 TAS can be thought of as a ninety
<br>percent scale .450 Marlin, since it is by measure or by weight essentially 9/10 the size and should
<br>provide 9/10 the performance, but will easily allow a twelve ounce lighter rifle wit only eighty-five
<br>percent of the recoil.
<br>
<br>Thanks,
<br>Todd, aka Fireplug
<br>
<br>

GB1

F
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
Update:
<br>I am looking at the first ever ".416 The Americas Stalker" cases as I type.
<br>TAS

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 1Longbow, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 60 invisible), 3,429 guests, and 1,255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,746
Posts18,535,447
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.