Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I didn't say the church condoned it. I'm saying that there is a lot of it going on and the church knows it.
I don't know Romney's stance on it. Publicly, he'll be strongly against it no matter what his real stance.

You are just plain wrong on that point. If the church knew about it, those people would be excommunicated. I don't even believe that there are "active" mormons who practice polygamy that are able to hide that aspect of their lives from the church. If they are "active" they are going to church with their kids, their kids are going to activities, people from the church are coming over and visiting them. Something like an extra wife or two would not go unnoticed.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I'm saying that there is a lot of it going on and the church knows it.

Rock Chuck,

That is untrue. If members of the LDS Church are known to be practicing polygamy they are excommunicated.

There may be folks who claim to be members and there are several off shoots of the LDS church that practice it, but please do not confuse them with us.

I realize you have differences with the LDS faith, but please don't spread untruths about it.

I'm not a big Romney fan, but I will vote for him.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I trust most everything the mormon folks on this site say about Mormon's, especially rNr, having met him, he is one stand up guy, and he and his wife are good honest folk. If Mitt is the GOP candidate, that's where my vote for President will go, his religion is not effecting that in any way shape of form.

Back in the heartland, Thank God!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I believe Mitt Romney is a "high priest" of the Mormon church; do you think he would be able to choose country over religion? I ask, because I think it's relevant. After all this is a church whose former prophet, Joseph Smith, declared himself King, and ordered the destruction of a private printing enterprise that was about to publish revelations about his personal indiscretions.

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I know what I see.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by watch4bear
I believe Mitt Romney is a "high priest" of the Mormon church; do you think he would be able to choose country over religion? I ask, because I think it's relevant. After all this is a church whose former prophet, Joseph Smith, declared himself King, and ordered the destruction of a private printing enterprise that was about to publish revelations about his personal indiscretions.

Pretty much everyone over the age of 40 or so is a High Priest in the LDS church.

First of all, you are distorting the facts in regards to Joseph Smith. BUT, let's assume that what you say is totally accurate, let me ask this.

Can we trust a devout Catholic? After all, Catholic popes ordered the murder and torture of thousands of people during the inquisition.

I say that to make a point, I don't actually believe that way. Somehow, you think that slandering someone who died (murdered actually) 2 centuries ago is somehow relevant to Mitt Romney? I'm not a Romney fan, but his faith should not be an issue.

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
i agree, faith should not be an issue. but, there's lot's of folks who believe differently than you and i.

on sister wives the tv show, they were really against child abuse, etc. the Protestants diaagree amongst themselves. i suspect the Catholics also have disagreements amongst themselves.

and likely, the Baptists also disagree amongst themselves.

if the bigamy laws in Utah are successfully brought down, then the world changes again.

just how many Mormon groups are there? we know there's at least three, according to sister wives TV program, right?

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Joseph Smith, declared himself King, and ordered the destruction of a private printing enterprise that was about to publish revelations about his personal indiscretions.

Made up, silly nonsense again.

Last edited by denton; 02/06/12.

Be not weary in well doing.
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by Gus
i agree, faith should not be an issue. but, there's lot's of folks who believe differently than you and i.

on sister wives the tv show, they were really against child abuse, etc. the Protestants diaagree amongst themselves. i suspect the Catholics also have disagreements amongst themselves.

and likely, the Baptists also disagree amongst themselves.

if the bigamy laws in Utah are successfully brought down, then the world changes again.

just how many Mormon groups are there? we know there's at least three, according to sister wives TV program, right?

It would be hard to say how many "Mormon" groups there are. There is the main group: The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (The right one ;)). They are the ones that send out missionaries with black name tags and they number about 14 million.

Then there are several more (All break offs occurred shortly after Joseph Smith's death). There are the FLDS (fundamental LDS) who practice polygamy and dress in pioneer clothes and live in compounds (think Warren Jeffs).

Then there are other ones that practice polygamy but live otherwise normal lives. Think Sister Wives.

Then there are the RLDS (reorganized LDS) and who are more recently called the Community of Christ. They don't practice polygamy.

I would guess the combined membership of all off-shoots to be around 250,000-300,000. There is no intermingling of the churches though. We (mainstream mormons)think of them just as different (if not more different in the case of FLDS) as any other religion. Again, any member practicing polygamy is excommunicated.

Edit to add- These are not "disagreements between themselves". It's not like "well I believe the creation literally happened in 7 days and they don't" type thing. It's more of a "They follow Muhammed and we follow Christ" difference.

Last edited by c86man3; 02/06/12.
G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by denton
Joseph Smith, declared himself King, and ordered the destruction of a private printing enterprise that was about to publish revelations about his personal indiscretions.

heh, friend, just to further clarify, for the readership, you have attributed a post to me that i didn't make. sorry, off-topic.

i've been illegally mis-quoted before, by the masses, so no problem there. grin

so, what difference does it make, if we're of the Native American Spirituality, Mormon, Catholic, Baptist, follwers of Ganesh, etc, etc?

what are the requirements for a President of the USA in 2012?

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Somehow, you think that slandering someone who died (murdered actually) 2 centuries ago is somehow relevant to Mitt Romney? I'm not a Romney fan, but his faith should not be an issue.

Of course his faith is an issue. Where exactly is he on capitol punishment, and abortion? Could he order the launch of nuclear weapons if needed? Don't question his faith indeedgrin

Where is his loyalty to church or country? What does the mormon church teach on these subjects?

I only have history to go by...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Short_Creek_raid

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utah_War

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mountain_Meadows_massacre

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Nauvoo,_Illinois#The_.22Mormon_War_in_Illinois.22_and_the_Mormon_Exodus

MOLON LABE

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by Gus
Originally Posted by denton

heh, friend, just to further clarify, for the readership, you have attributed a post to me that i didn't make. sorry, off-topic.

i've been illegally mis-quoted before, by the masses, so no problem there. grin

so, what difference does it make, if we're of the Native American Spirituality, Mormon, Catholic, Baptist, follwers of Ganesh, etc, etc?

what are the requirements for a President of the USA in 2012?

My only requirement is strict adherence to the constitution. Which Romney fails at. So I understand not liking him for that, but people are bigots for not liking Romney for his religion. I would take a Muslim over a Mormon (I am mormon) if he/she followed the constitution.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
My only requirement is strict adherence to the constitution. Which Romney fails at.

Is that to say, Mormons put country and constitution before their religous beliefes, but Mitt Romney does not? Is he another sect of mormonism?

MOLON LABE

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Somehow, you think that slandering someone who died (murdered actually) 2 centuries ago is somehow relevant to Mitt Romney? I'm not a Romney fan, but his faith should not be an issue.

Of course his faith is an issue. Where exactly is he on capitol punishment, and abortion? Could he order the launch of nuclear weapons if needed? Don't question his faith indeedgrin

Where is his loyalty to church or country? What does the mormon church teach on these subjects?

You act like there is going to be some horrendous event where Romney will have to choose between church and country. "Ok, Romney, we have to kill the U.S. or the Mormon church, which one are we gonna kill?"

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Some of the fringe offshoots of the Morman community are spooky.

There are some seriously spooky "offshoots" of the Christian faith as well. No "macro" religious group is without its faults.

As to the statements (not yours luv2) that "it may not be condoned, but it's common knowledge" in regards to polygamy, what about kiddy-touching priests in several major Christian faiths (not simply isolated to Catholics). It was damn sure common knowledge, but not condoned.

There's enough reasons to dislike Romney, IMHO. I'm not concerned in the least with his Mormon faith.

George

Last edited by NH K9; 02/06/12.

οΏ½Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.οΏ½
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You act like there is going to be some horrendous event where Romney will have to choose between church and country.

Get a clue, he's already waffled on abortion. Is Mittsy a mormon or not?

MOLON LABE

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
My only requirement is strict adherence to the constitution. Which Romney fails at.

Is that to say, Mormons put country and constitution before their religous beliefes, but Mitt Romney does not? Is he another sect of mormonism?

If you have any doubt about how the Mormon church feels about the U.S.A. please read this: Proper role of government

Now, I know it is hard for you to grasp, but the Church doesn't control the views and actions of it's members (see Harry Reid). So there are strict constitutionalists and there are liberals and everything in between in the church.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
You act like there is going to be some horrendous event where Romney will have to choose between church and country.

Get a clue, he's already waffled on abortion. Is Mittsy a mormon or not?

What are you trying to get at? If I say he is, you will say "Well then he isn't a good mormon then." In which case your worries about him choosing mormonism over country should be dissolved.

If I say he isn't a mormon then the same outcome occurs.

I believe he is a mormon though...So make whatever conclusion you wish.

Last edited by c86man3; 02/06/12.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
the Church doesn't control the views and actions of it's members (see Harry Reid).

Isn't that what excommunication is about?

MOLON LABE

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Isn't that what excommunication is about?

No.

With the exception of actively working against the church, members are pretty much free to follow whatever course of action they choose, especially in politics.

Last edited by denton; 02/06/12.

Be not weary in well doing.
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (1minute, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 1936M71, 63 invisible), 2,345 guests, and 1,143 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,707
Posts18,513,889
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.