-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Who here likes them? I'm assuming their main use is for hunting in harsh conditions with gloves, am I right? Didn't Wild West Guns popularize them before Marlin/Remington started cataloging them?

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a DRC on my Guide Gun. It was installed solely for using gloves, not aesthetics. It allowed the gloves to fit without being too large. I simply don't like the looks of the overly large levers, but of course, others may think different.

In my opinion, the original levers are the best looking, but are not as useful in cold weather.

The first large levers I recall seeing were, in fact, the Wild West product.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
When I had Grizzly Custom Guns (Columbia Falls, Montana) create my 1895s, I specifically ordered standard pistol grip levers. I use them without issue while wearing mittens OVER gloves. What those preferring oversized levers apparently overlook is that very few hunters are caught unawares for the first shot - that is, one hunts with lever hand more or less in position. And once there, lever size becomes a non-issue. In fact, a more hand-fitting lever improves the surety of lever cycling when one is under stress (aka "buck fever").

Hope this helps.

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act. George Orwell
B
B
I have oversized hands where I have to try all extra large gloves on to see if they fit. I have my grand fathers hands they say( baseball mitts lol). My 4 fingers do not fit loosly in the length of the standard loop. I have a hard time with my standard loop levers with gloves and just got a GBL for Christmas and shot it out back with little problem cycling the action, I am Happy now and I have a 45/70 also, life is good.

Last edited by boondocker; 01/26/12.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I got a NIB .32 Spec Win Wrangler with the big hoop lever a few years back. It is a great shooter and is handy with the 16" barrel. I thought that the big hoop was the pits. I replaced it with a standard, before the Marlin sized glove lever was around. I might have looked for a Marlin sized if I had of known of them, but I have never been sorry for my swap. I use this Molle shotgun scabbord. Perfect fit.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/molle-shoulder-shotgun-scabbard.aspx?a=562602

IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
hate the looks of them but if you got big meat hooks or hunt in subarctic conditions with giant gloves i can see where they would be useful. my hands are pretty big but i wear single layer GI wool glove inserts in cold weather so i have no problem with the lever. and besides, who needs a second shot?

My diploma is a DD214
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I made one just to see if I could....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Took a few iterations before I got the geometry I wanted. At first I was going after the John Wayne big loop style. That proved mostly useless...Ended up settling on something close to WWG loop.

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
The John Wayne fan in me likes the looks of the big loops but my practical hunter side hates the damn things. My hands don't get cold easily and I never wear more than light cotton gloves when hunting so the standard lever works better for me.

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by Deerwhacker444

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Took a few iterations before I got the geometry I wanted. At first I was going after the John Wayne big loop style. That proved mostly useless...Ended up settling on something close to WWG loop.

[Linked Image]

I think I'd spring for a mag extenstion before I spent the $$ on a bigger loop but you did a GREAT job on that loop design! I love straight-gripped marlins and that would definitely be nice for running the lever with heavy gloves....

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I like the way they look, so I see no negative with them. I mean really, who doesn't want to be like Chuck Connors? Being able to wear heavy gloves late in the year is key.

I am an N.R.A. Life Member,you should be to.

IC B3

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
I like the loop as issued on my SBL. Looks good, I can wear gloves......what's not to like?

George

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va
I have a DRC on my Guide Gun. It was installed solely for using gloves, not aesthetics. It allowed the gloves to fit without being too large. I simply don't like the looks of the overly large levers, but of course, others may think different.

In my opinion, the original levers are the best looking, but are not as useful in cold weather.

Same here and I like the DRC's rounded edges. I have big hands and the stock Marlin hurt to shoot.

[Linked Image]

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
The DRC and SBL levers are "oversized" but not truly "big loop" levers like on the Winchester Wrangler. I might could get along OK with one of the DRC or SBL levers. The real "big loop" levers like on the old Winchester Wranglers are too sloppy and slow lever manipulation for me.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That's kinda the way I looked at it. I wanted my gloves to fit in without resorting to a shoehorn, but I wonder about overly large and the benefits, or lack of.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Nice touch with the trigger stop. I like it.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by eh76
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va

Same here and I like the DRC's rounded edges. I have big hands and the stock Marlin hurt to shoot.

[Linked Image]

I would like that loop with my XLR

Snake

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide

You're the first person to notice that. I had to leave it long and file to fit. It really feels nice....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide

You're the first person to notice that. I had to leave it long and file to fit. It really feels nice....

First too comment...

That is great thought and execution.

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I will be totally honest since I live in a moderate climate. I like them cause they are COOL----like the TV westerns I used to watch!!!

cavey

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

288 members (204guy, 16penny, 219 Wasp, 17CalFan, 257robertsimp, 1_deuce, 38 invisible), 2,323 guests, and 1,221 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,240
Posts18,485,869
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.