Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
I have an interest in buying an autoloader.

So many claims of "fastest cycle time" and "best recoil reduction"

Any real tests out there?

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There might be but the only tests I've seen are the manufacturer "testing" their own gun, for what that's worth.

You didn't ask but if you want less recoil get a gas semiauto. As far as cycle time I've owned my share of semiautos and never had one that didn't cycle fast enough for hunting or clay target sports.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Fastest cycle time? Guessing they're all faster than it takes to come out of recoil and get back on target.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I just saw a Beretta Extrema2 infomercial and it promised low to no kick and extreme fast cycling, don't know if you can get it in camo but it looked like a great shotgun.

J
J
I own a Maxus and Super Vinci and used a SBE2, SX3, and an Extrema 2. Between these $1,000+ semi's I honestly can not tell the difference as far as cycle time. As far as recoil goes the newer gas guns do recoil a tiny bit less compared to the inertia guns but the gas gets dirty more.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've got a Maxus that I use for some upland, and the recoil's no problem with std. low base upland hunting loads. One of the reasons I got it was because it's light, a little under 7 lbs. When you start using the heavier loads though you'll feel it with a light gun, even the gas guns.

Last edited by 43Shooter; 02/07/12.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I really like the lower recoil of my beretta gas auto. I have judged a few multi-state skeet tournaments over the years and only know of a few individuals that said the auto didnt cycle quick enough for them. FWIW, the two I remember were top tier shooters using O\U guns. Maybe THEY could realize the difference in cycle time. I dont know that I could.
I have time behind gas auto's and inertia driven systems. Both work well and reduce recoil considerably. I favor the gas auto, but could easily get accustomed to the inertia without problem. Little different, but not necessarily negatively.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Give the Beretta 390 a look. You can still find them new in many places. Recoil is mild and cycles fast. My Beretta tends to make me look better than I deserve in the flooded timber.

O
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
O
I've owned 2 Benellis, a SBE and a M1. All I can say is that they were the most expensive single shots I've ever owned. I have been shooting a Franchi AL 48 20 ga. since the 70's and highly recommend one if you are getting it for upland hunting. It weighs around 5.5 pounds. The AL 48 is recoil operated so it might have a little more kick which is no issue in the 20 ga. Benelli now owns Franchi now. As far as cycle time, it may not be the fastest, but it will shoot faster than you can keep it on target. IMHO cycle time is a sales pitch.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I own a Benelli M-2, a Winchester Super-X M-1, a Browning A-5, and used to own a Remington Sportsman 58 and an American Browning A-5 - every single one has been reliable as hell. I keep my guns clean, properly adjusted, and am obviously lucky too! I think all this hype about softest shooting comparing one semi-auto to another is pure BS - there are differences, but they are marginal. I have shot everything from light 1 oz. loads to 3" magnum loads in mine; the light loads kick less, the magnum loads kick more (the most being 2 ounce turkey loads fired through XXF tubes). None kick as hard as the pumps I have owned and fired with similar loads, but they are not all that different. Buy the shotgun that fits you and that appeals to you most - a shotgun will kick, just like a rifle (one of Newton's laws).

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Fast cycle time dosent mean much IMO unless you are trick shooting. Like all other shotguns its all about fit. The softest shooting gun will kick like a mule if it does not fit.

So start with fit and go from there, even the slowest cycling gun is fast enough for any clay target/hunting shooting you will do. Dont buy into the hype....

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

243 members (260Remguy, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 204guy, 2500HD, 43 invisible), 2,233 guests, and 1,020 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,650
Posts18,512,604
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.