Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
I
isaac Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I
I think I'll spend some time looking into this a bit further. No real dog in the fight other than intellectual curiosity.

Anyways,here goes:

Are laws making Polygamy illegal,unconstitutional?

Take a stab at it without researching the issue and see if we get there on our own understanding of the constitution.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It two queers can marry, why can't a guy have more than 1 wife if'n he can support them, personally, one is WAY more than enough to me, who could take the incessant bitchin that you would get. shocked

Back in the heartland, Thank God!

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
WOW! You earn the title of Supreme Exhalted Pot-Stirrer with Clusters!

Is this being adjudicated somewhere?

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by isaac
I think I'll spend some time looking into this a bit further. No real dog in the fight other than intellectual curiosity.

Anyways,here goes:

Are laws making Polygamy illegal,unconstitutional?

Take a stab at it without researching the issue and see if we get there on our own understanding of the constitution.

At first blush, I would say "yes".

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It like the homo stuff is legitimately a "States Rights" issue, not federal IMHO.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

IC B2

I
isaac Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I
Me too,Sean. That's what made me post it. There was a segment on FOX as to this debate and, while I did not hear the discussion, I saw the question byline on the screen when I came back to my computer. I thought I could quickly come up with a reason or two why the illegality should survived constitutional muster but I got stuck thinking in through.

I'll say I did hear the words due process and gay from the guests.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Me too,Sean. That's what made me post it. There was a segment on FOX as to this debate and, while I did not hear the discussion, I saw the question byline on the screen when I came back to my computer. I thought I could quickly come up with a reason or two why the illegality should survived constitutional muster but I got stuck thinking in through.

Of course you would....

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Here is your answer and the extent of the reasoning done on the subject. No, it is not unconstitutional because right now, Mormans and other religious whackos are way less popular than queers.

I
isaac Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I
My gut takes me more towards the "equal protection" argument side of things.

William Arthur Ward

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Basically there are more women than men so yes a man should have more women. Every woman I know wants a man so why should they be deprived.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A man wanting more than one wife is demonstrably insane and thus is is subject to being made a ward of the State.
So...there is no constitutional question involved. grin

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AKHntr
Every woman I know wants a man so why should they be deprived.

Astutely noting that you are unable to provide this service?

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Then how about two sisters, or brothers, on and on?

I
isaac Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I
Law against in-breeding would certainly withstand constitutional muster,imo.

Last edited by isaac; 02/07/12.

William Arthur Ward

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by MOCoyote

Or a horse, dog, or rock?

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

I
isaac Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I
Originally Posted by watch4bear
Originally Posted by MOCoyote

Or a horse, dog, or rock?

===========

Now you got akhntr's attention.

William Arthur Ward

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I'll take the other side. I say they are Constitutional, as long as in application, they're facially neutral.

War Damn Eagle!

A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Good thread opener Isaac. smile

My first (and layman's) thought to, Are laws making Polygamy illegal,unconstitutional? , would be yes.

Have women ever been defined as "property" in past constitutional cases?

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
who is government to stand in the way of love? and why draw the line at humans? who are we to say it's wrong for a man to really love his dog? wink

But, seriously, the fact that all these things were crimes.....some of them capital....at the time of the founding should be a pretty fair indicator that, at best, the founders certainly did not intend the states to be prohibited from outlawing them by any provision of the federal constitution.

homosexual sodomy, incest, polygamy and bestiality were also still all crimes when the 14th amendment was adopted, so that doesn't get you there.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by Steve_NO
who is government to stand in the way of love? and why draw the line at humans? who are we to say it's wrong for a man to really love his dog?

Just a hunch that one would have to be a Florida case....

the fact that all these things were crimes.....some of them capital....at the time of the founding should be a pretty fair indicator that, at best, the founders certainly did not intend the states to be prohibited from outlawing them by any provision of the federal constitution.

There were a few felony, and perhaps capital, crimes involving slaves at the time of the Founding as well. Just saying...

homosexual sodomy, incest, polygamy and bestiality were also still all crimes when the 14th amendment was adopted, so that doesn't get you there.

So was blacks voting, or women, or women holding office, or property.... Again, just saying.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

521 members (1_deuce, 1minute, 10gaugemag, 219DW, 1badf350, 06hunter59, 65 invisible), 2,453 guests, and 1,162 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,689
Posts18,513,578
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.