Hop To
#6140132 02/06/12
L
lawnman Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
So now I am looking for another sleep bag how about the Big Agnes? Any experience? What do you think of there system of the sleeping pad slips into the bottom of the bag. Pros/Cons?

A man's got to know his limitations!
GB1

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I saw your review about the Cats Meow bag. I was in your same shoes a few years ago - looking for a bag that wouldn't break the bank or weigh me down. Something you are probably starting to see in your research is to shed a few good ounces on a bag, you have to spend a few more greenbacks. It can get pricey. I ended up purchasing a Big Agnes Lost Ranger bag, and I've been happy with my purchase.

Pros:
- For the price, you get a bag backed by a nice warranty and good construction. Its not Western Mountaneering, but its zippers, down fill and overall sturdyness are good.
- I like the pad sleeve. You don't roll off the bag. I use a insulated air core pad. Its not the lightest, and some have experienced leaks, but mine has performed flawlessly. Agian, Big Agnes backs up the stuff if something malfunctions.
- I think temp rating is pretty true. I slept in mine in WY this fall in temps down the the 20s. Wore light synthetic base layers (more as a way to keep body oils out of bag) and was plenty warm. Didn't wake up cold.
- Price is right.

Cons:
- Its cut a bit wider than I need. Tends to cause cold air pockets in the bag. Not a deal breaker, but I didn't want a mummy bag. Guess something in between would be ideal.
- Bag plus pad isn't lightweight. Not heavy, but not super light. Like I mentioned above - shaving those last few ounces gets expensive.

Overall, I'm pleased. Don't see myself needing anything else.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Pros:
-You stay on top of your pad
-You save a little inefficient weight by not putting any down in the bottom
Cons:
-Some pads are annoying to get in and out of pad sleeves
-Down does insulate when compressed, just not as well; obviously the "loftier" the down (i.e. 800 or 900 fill) the less it will insulate help when compressed
-If you use a hood and like to roll on your side (keeping your face at the opening) you're out of luck

I don't want one myself but BA has a good warranty and they generally make good stuff--maybe you'd like it. Hope this was helpful.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I started using the Big Agnes sleeping system this year and I love it. The best thing for me is that they make their bags a little wider than most mummy bags. Combined with the integrated pad it makes for a comfortable night for the guy who like to move around alot when he sleeps.

The only con is that after about 25 uses the pad started leaking. However, I have no doubt that BA will make it right.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a BA Lost Ranger, and like it a lot. It's not the lightest bag that money can buy, but in that price range I think it's as good as it gets.

The pad is a unique option that I had trouble wrapping my brain around at first. When I saw that there was NO insulation on the bottom of the bag I was shocked. But when a friend explained that the insulation is much more efficent when its not compressed below you it made sense, and I have found it to be true.

I use the insulated air core pad.

My only con would be in the event of a leak in your pad, you really have nothing to insulate you from the ground. It hasnt happened to me, but I do think about it.

Keep in mind a thermarest will slip into the slot just as nicely as a BA insulated pad.

IC B2

L
lawnman Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Thanks guys. Going to research the BA bags a little more. Outdoor Ag your right on with the fact that less weight = more money. That fact seems to be true of everything made for the outdoors. Have any of you used the Big Agnes bag without a pad in the back, say if you were sleeping in a camper or the wife gets the credit card bill for your latest purchases and you have to sleep on the couch! LOL

A man's got to know his limitations!
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D

They are a good value for the money. I like to roll around and the classic allows that. If it gets drafty I poke a poncho liner in there with me.

The zip together which is nice if you have company.

My wife uses hers without the pad if we are sleeping on something with a matress. I put a 3/8" foam pad in mine if I don't want to bother with the insulated air core. If we are car camping I just leave the pads in and roll them up that way.

We have the Park bags too but that is strictly a car camping deal.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Love them! Get a mystic 15-degree and you will have one of the best nights sleep away from home. I use both the Insulated and Dual-Core pads. The new NEO all season will fit as well and save some weight if it is a concern.

I liked the Cat's Meow until I nearly froze at 35-degrees, well felt like it anyway....

Good Shooting!
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
I have a Macpac bag, with a sleeve for the pad and love it. Keeps the bag nice and square, no waking up in the night tangled up in the bag. The only downside is that if staying in a hut with a bunk and mattress I still need to take the pad, other wise I end up cold, with the down on the bottom and the sleeve at the top.

F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
I have a BA Lost Ranger 15* bag, thier temp range is very optimistic. I start to feel cold at 25*. But other than that the bag is well made, roomy, and I like the pad in a sleave under me. The bag also compresses well if space is limited.
I do prefer my Marmot Helium bag for 15* temp.
BTW, I bought both bags on sale, the BA @$150 and the Marmot @ $75 at REI closeout.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Used a BA Encampment with insulated air core this year. Love the concept and not slipping off the pad like I usually do. Bottom line is that I slept better.
That said, I exchanged the 15 degree encampment for the zero degree farwell. I got cold at 25 and I never have been cold in a bag before.
Fact is that if the air pad goes bad you are in trouble. If mine goes bye bye I'll be putting a thermarest in the slot.
I'd recommend Big Agnes in a heartbeat.

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
I would get very cold in my lost ranger so I got the storm king 0 but kept the 15 degree pad. I was still cold so I got the exped 7 down matt and I know stay very warm in it. I do sleep cold so having a bag that roomy is hard for me to maintain heat in but a better insulating pad helped a lot.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Best tip for a bag thats too roomy - crawl in a liner. A few ounces and keeps you warmer.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I have a Lost Ranger and love it for sleeping. The only drawback I see is that you cannot sit up in it in the morning and assemble breakfast as the pad keeps the entire bag rigid. I can live without that but is one thing I've noticed.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (1Longbow, 17Fan, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 69 invisible), 2,930 guests, and 1,271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,112
Posts18,483,345
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.