Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I used to wear moccasins while bowhunting in SOME areas. The problem is that leather's as slick as snot on a doorknob. They're terrible in the steep stuff and on grass they're like ice skates. If you're hunting in flat land, though, they're as quiet as anything I've ever worn.

I've always wondered how the human race survived and thrived wearing slick soled moccasins......I would think most people would've broke their necks before they hit adulthood.........

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I used to wear moccasins while bowhunting in SOME areas. The problem is that leather's as slick as snot on a doorknob. They're terrible in the steep stuff and on grass they're like ice skates. If you're hunting in flat land, though, they're as quiet as anything I've ever worn.

I've always wondered how the human race survived and thrived wearing slick soled moccasins......I would think most people would've broke their necks before they hit adulthood.........

Casey

I'm not sure how they did it either? I wear moccacins in the dry and fairly level ground. I fell too many times to wear them when it's wet.
I did try some spikes that slip over the mocs, but then I wasn't quiet anymore, so I might as well wear boots and be dry.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've been successful at it a number of times.

It has just as much to do with recognizing likely habitat and hidey-holes as the stalking itself.
You have to know when to do it and plan for the area you are moving into.

Breeze and snow cover can make it pretty easy.
Dry conditions can make it impossible.

I like the fact that when successful there is a good feeling of fair chase accomplishment (i.e., that it was earned) and that the kills tend to be fast and clean.

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
If they are at any real elevation I have no chance to quick hunt. smirk

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
50% of my archery elk kills were from still hunting. About 30% of my rifle elk kills were from still hunting. Elk are not that hard to sneak up on.

[Linked Image]
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
How I elk hunt depends on which side of my state I'm hunting and what weapon I choose to use.

On the east side of the state we have private access on some wheat fields about a 1/4 mile from state timber land. The elk on any given day will at some point either willingly feed out onto the fingers and fields or be pushed out by hunters. For that I typically set my butt down on a likely looking finger and camp out. If the elk come out further away then I feel confident shooting I will try to spot and stalk. With all the rolling fingers on that land it works well.

On the west side of the state it is mostly dense thick timber land although I do have some dairy fields I hunt as above. More often then not it's set on a field for the first few hours hoping the elk come out to feed. If all works they will feed where we can get a shot or use the terrain to get closer. If that doesnt pan out as it rarely does, then it is still hunting quietly through the timber trying to find bedded elk before they bust out.

I manage to get my elk most every year I choose to buy the tag it just matters what terrain I choose to hunt that day whether I'm spot and stalking or still hunting.

This year I decided to bow hunt the west side timber and had my inital goal going into the season set as a decent 5x5 bull or better. I passed on multiple cows and several smaller bulls the first 3 days of the season and unfortunately due to the hot weather most of the private timber lands got locked down for fire damage.

Late season I was busy with work and only got out once but watched a herd of about 30 cows cross a clear cut at about 450 yds and head into the timber. I gave them about a half hour to settle in, looped above them into the timber and found the herd bedded in some hellaciously thick timber at the base of a small ridge. Snuck in as close as i dared and after about a 45 minute wait i ended up shooting a nice cow as she rose from her bed at 26 yds. Nothing super glorious and not my first bow elk but certainly one of my most memorable on several fronts.

Last edited by MallardAddict; 02/08/12.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by SteelyEyes
50% of my archery elk kills were from still hunting. About 30% of my rifle elk kills were from still hunting. Elk are not that hard to sneak up on.

Why wouldn't you do it 100% of the time if it's easy?

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Mauser_Hunter
Originally Posted by SteelyEyes

Why wouldn't you do it 100% of the time if it's easy?
Are you off your med's again? Or maybe back on them? Tough to tell the difference.

Turn me loose, set me free, somewhere in the middle of Montana!
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
No meds, but I get annoyed when someone tells me still hunting is easy.

Sitting on your butt is a tree is easy.

Glassing and taking 300yd shots is easy.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Maybe you're not sneeky enough? Elmer Fudd has some wonderful tutorials on sneeking thru the woods. You have to be vewy vewy quiet!

Turn me loose, set me free, somewhere in the middle of Montana!
IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Colorado is noisier than Montana.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Does walking up to (less than 15 yards), of a sleeping "spike" count? Stalking conditions were ideal, light snow during night, melting early making for very quiet movement!! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
[Linked Image]

370" from Saskatchewan.

DF

Wow, that's a big one. Is that 370 SCI or 370 B&C? SCI doesn't care if you shoot them in a high fence, sure-bet area. And "still-hunting" doesn't apply as they are TAME like a happy black lab puppy.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I just made it a bit harder for myself. I'll be using a flintlock and a PRB from now on.

I have no option but to get close now. Cool. smile

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

551 members (1minute, 1234, 1badf350, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 10Glocks, 57 invisible), 2,488 guests, and 1,249 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,560
Posts18,491,767
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.