Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
Originally Posted by Kentucky_Windage

Anyway, just to stir the pot a little, I'm curious how many of you die-hard A-Frame and Partition fans (I'm a confessed Partition addict) have played around much with the XP3? I've only shot a few things with it thus far (some big hogs, mule deer and oryx) and have to say I've been impressed. Thus far, with an admittedly limited sample, it has put everything down just as hard as my beloved partitions.

About 3 years ago a buddy of mine decided to use the 180 gr. .30-06 XP3 during our elk hunt and was not pleased with the performance. He lung shot a large cow at about 150 yards and his second shot hit her in the upper left hind leg (ham) as she was moving away. The first shot hit no bone and was not recovered. I honestly don't remember if it passed through or we just didn't find it.

The leg shot bullet was recovered without penetrating the bone. It entered the ham and broke the bone but stopped there. The rear of the bullet looked like an expanded/bulged A-frame, and the front expanded also. The lack of any penetration surprised us since the bullet didn't hit the joint or pelvis. Go figure...

Ken

GB1

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Interesting... but I'd have trouble judging a bullet based solely on that ham shot. Everything I'd shot with it thus far was a heart/lung shot. I have yet to recover one (all pass throughs), but everything pretty much went bang flop.

If you're fixin' to put a hole in something,
make it a hole to remember.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by taz4570
I've yet to find a Partition in an elk, even those shot lengthwise.

Here's one, factory Federal 338WM, 210grn, the elk took a step and turned as I pulled the trigger, it hit him in the right rump and was found just under the left front shoulder skin, it now weighs 147grns, distance was a paced 96 yrds.
[Linked Image]

I asked one of the Nosler reps at the Redmond Sportsman's show about the separation of the front core, he said that "they're designed to do that", that's all I know, don't have any experience with the A-Frames.

ASE master certified engine machinist
Truck tech
REDNECK!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A quick phone call to Nosler, and they will tell you the same thing!

Ted

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Yukoner
A quick phone call to Nosler, and they will tell you the same thing!

Ted
What would anyone expect them to say?

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by taz4570
Somebody learned something today...

I've yet to find a Partition in an elk, even those shot lengthwise.

Taz I have some here recovered from elk....mostly 30 caliber. smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Die hard Nosler enthusiast here, although of course I've used other bullets too. Started using the Partition back in the 1970's, and still use the Partition (as well as the Ballistic Tip, Accubond and the defunct Solid Base) today. Here's a few photos of bullets I've collected.

Here's a shot of a pair of 350 gr bullets from a .45/70 at 20 yards, fired into one-gallon plastic water jugs. On the left is a Swift A-Frame, perhaps the most picture perfect mushroom I've ever seen. On the right is a 350 gr flat nose Hornady. Muzzle velocity was 2040 fps for the Swift and 2080 fps for the Hornady:

[Linked Image]

A Barnes TSX subjected to the same test, but only 100 grains at 3340 fps from a .25-06 rifle:
[Linked Image]

A .25 cal, 115 gr Berger VLD, before and after impact with a mule deer:
[Linked Image]

260 gr .375" Nosler Accubond, into the water jugs at 20 yards:
[Linked Image]

.30 cal 165 gr Nosler Partition into the jugs:
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

.25 cal, 115 gr Nosler Partition into the jugs:
[img]http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k129/GuyMiner/Loading/IMG_4787.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k129/GuyMiner/Loading/IMG_4786.jpg[/img]

People have criticized me because most of my recovered bullets come from water jugs not game. Mostly I shoot Nosler Partitions at game, and have yet to recover one from game - they always penetrate right on through. I kind of like that...

Regards, Guy

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have a .35 cal 225-gn recovered from a dink buck. smile

I like Partitions. I used them in my 7-08 on blacktails. They shot holes through them.

Accubonds leave a little messier wound channel, for better or worse, in my experience. Which is limited- let me get that out there up front.

I've never driven light NP's fast; how do they like speed? Bloodshot a lot of meat due to the soft front half?

The 210 NP in .338 is one of life's simple pleasures I've not yet experienced. Gotta rectify that.

Count me in the group of ingrates that would like a tipped Partition. grin

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Jeff_O

I've never driven light NP's fast; how do they like speed? Bloodshot a lot of meat due to the soft front half?

Count me in the group of ingrates that would like a tipped Partition. grin

Jeff it depends on what is "fast" but I have used the 140 7mm in the 7/08, 7x57,280,and 7 Rem mag, started at 2650 or so to 3300 fps;of course there is always damage, which is what kills but I recall only one large buck I shot through the ribs with the 7 mag load at about 70 yards...just ribs, lungs, and out...the off side looked like a bomb went off, not shredded but just a large area of blood shot trauma.Yes they will handle speed.

That's the only time I ever noticed a lot of blood shot,and BTW I have never recovered a 140 7mm, regardless of shot angle or impact velocity.....just the way it has worked out.

I don't get it as far as the tip is concerned....it will screw up a perfectly good design and add nothing to the performance of the bullet.

Last edited by BobinNH; 02/09/12.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
But it's a TIP. That's one more, idn't it?

(bonus points for movie reference)

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
IC B3

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
But it's a TIP. That's one more, idn't it?

(bonus points for movie reference)

This is Spinal Tap, aye?

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by vapodog
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Geez, apparently you're still not getting it. The Nosler Partition's front end was designed to fragment--whether totally or partially is irrelevant, just as it's irrelevant whether an A-Frame loses 7%, 10% or 14% of its weight.

It's even irrelevant whether a Barnes TSX loses any petals. In fact, the GS Custom is very similar to a TSX--except for being designed to lose its petals, at least most of the time. And just like the Partition, it was designed that way.

Further it was stated that the Partition was designed to shed the front core....this is not supported by wording presented in this thread.....rather it's designed to "erode" during penetration....but in many cases it simply is shed in total.

Might I ask the obvious here: what is the difference between erode and fragment during penetration?

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Might I ask the obvious here: what is the difference between erode and fragment during penetration?

My post is not to differentiate between erode and fragment....it's the difference between erode/fragment and total core separation/shedding...

Here's an excellent photo of an eroded core from a previous post

[Linked Image]

Here is a good photo of a jacket that has totally shed it's core

[Linked Image]

Last edited by vapodog; 02/09/12.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by vapodog

My post is not to differentiate between erode and fragment....it's the difference between erode/fragment and total core separation/shedding...

Here's an excellent photo of an eroded core from a previous post

[Linked Image]

Here is a good photo of a jacket that has totally shed it's core

[Linked Image]

I think you may be having a little trouble here seeing the forest through the trees.

Do you really think any animal will be able to tell you the difference between a shedding core versus an eroding core when hit with a Partition?

Do you really think any animal will be able to tell you the difference of being hit with a Nosler Partition versus a Swift A-Frame?

If you come up with any answer other than "NO," you are putting WAAAYYYY too much thought into this.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Well, you might split hairs and say that eroding is small, incremental losses, while fragment is coming off in somewhat larger pieces - but ultimately, what the heck is the difference? Partitions work great, everyone seems to agree. SAF are good as well, they tend to not penetrate quite as far and I would agree with that although I have more experience with TBBC than the SAF, they both seem to expand a bit more and penetrate slightly less, but I have only recovered one TBBC from game, even game the size of moose.

N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
Shedding? Eroding? Repeat after me; S...E...M...A...N...T...I...C...S.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I find this thread very interesting without being being terribly informative. Admittedly, a few people with industry contacts shed some light on the issue, and a few more with extensive experience with one or both bullets pretty much confirmed the conventional wisdom. FWIW, I am an avid Nosler fan, using BTs, SBs, PTs and ABs in a variety of rifles and cartridges.

That said, I use 180 Scirocco IIs in my semi-custom Vanguard in .300 Wby and 225 A-Frames in my custom .338 Win Mag because they group better in those rifles than anything else that I have tried. I have never recovered a Scirocco and only one A-Frame from an elk, and have had nothing but one-shot kills with either. I try a few of the Barnes offerings every now and then, but have yet to use any on game because other bullets shoot better in my rifles.

I have seen just enough failures with conventional cup and core bullets at higher impact velocities that I just pony up the extra for the so-called "premium" bullets for use on game larger than whitetails or mule deer.

Last edited by mudhen; 02/09/12.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well, back when I could not get Nosler Partitions, there was a shortage back in 1997. I bought some 140 gr Swift A Fames, loaded them for a 7 x 57 and went to Alaska. They shot well enough, and It took just one to fill a moose tag. Could not find the bullet so I don't know what shape it was in, I do know that the tenderloin was very good that night. I still have a bunch of them left from that purchase. I thought it was going to be my new bullet of choice, then the Noslers became available again and well why fix what is not broke?

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wow..good info on both sides, but I've kilt a lot with a Partition and hope to continue...

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
vd - could you do me a favor and weigh all those bullets you showed? I'd bet they all lost the same % of weight. I'd also bet when nuances aremeasured the "fragmented" bullets have more retained weight than the eroded bullet..........

Last edited by bwinters; 02/09/12.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (219DW, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 204guy, 1beaver_shooter, 10Glocks, 64 invisible), 2,672 guests, and 1,186 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,480
Posts18,529,651
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.