Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
C
cdb Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I have a 700 ADL .270 synthetic stock I bought new for $325.00 in 2004 at Cabela's. It came with a cheap Pine Ridge 3x9 scope. It also had open sights which you can't hardly get on a rifle anymore and I like them. Anyway the ADL was incredible accurate out of the box. I zeroed it to shoot 1" high at 100 yards and would shoot a cloverleaf. My brother-in-law has a Weatherby Mark V and a Winchester Model 70 with expensive Leupold and Nikon scopes, and when we shot together the ADL blew away his rifles in the accuracy dept. But things have changed. After experiencing a nightmare with Marlin over a new 30-30 I bought for my son I will not purchase a Remlin again. I think they are crap. After taking the Marlin apart, putting in a happy trigger and using 800 and 1200 grit paper on just about every part of the rifle it is a very nice rifle. Factor in the cost of the trigger and all of the man hours put in to it, it is not worth it. After comparing Vanguards side by side with Remingtons we purchased the Weatherby. Worse case scenario is I will have to drop a Timney in it which I feel confident I can do after installing a happy trigger in the Marlin. Then we will have a very fine rifle that in my opinion is a good as many rifles costing twice as much. By the way the Vanguard looks like it has controlled round feed as opposed to push feed. Is that true?

Thanks for all the responses.

Don't roll those bloodshot eyes at me.
BP-B6

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
vanguard is push feed

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by cdb
I have a 700 ADL .270 synthetic stock I bought new for $325.00 in 2004 at Cabela's. It came with a cheap Pine Ridge 3x9 scope. It also had open sights which you can't hardly get on a rifle anymore and I like them. Anyway the ADL was incredible accurate out of the box. I zeroed it to shoot 1" high at 100 yards and would shoot a cloverleaf. My brother-in-law has a Weatherby Mark V and a Winchester Model 70 with expensive Leupold and Nikon scopes, and when we shot together the ADL blew away his rifles in the accuracy dept. But things have changed. After experiencing a nightmare with Marlin over a new 30-30 I bought for my son I will not purchase a Remlin again. I think they are crap. After taking the Marlin apart, putting in a happy trigger and using 800 and 1200 grit paper on just about every part of the rifle it is a very nice rifle. Factor in the cost of the trigger and all of the man hours put in to it, it is not worth it. After comparing Vanguards side by side with Remingtons we purchased the Weatherby. Worse case scenario is I will have to drop a Timney in it which I feel confident I can do after installing a happy trigger in the Marlin. Then we will have a very fine rifle that in my opinion is a good as many rifles costing twice as much. By the way the Vanguard looks like it has controlled round feed as opposed to push feed. Is that true?

Thanks for all the responses.

It has a M16 extractor. I think the vanguard has higher quality control then any Remington probably ever built. It does weigh substantially more and the options to customize it are limited compared to a 700. Previously the Vanguard trigger left a lot to be desired but theyhave improved it. .

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I,m very happy with my Weathery Vanguard S2 in 270 Winchester
it,s also Stainless. Shoots tighter groups than the 3 Model
70,s I own. Likes 140gr Gamekings or Accubonds behind RL22.
I got to order some 150gr bullets to give them a try. Has
a Nikon 2X8X32 monarch scope on it.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I purchased a Vanguard Stainless 30.06 it never shot great but it was acceptable. My remington ADL outshot it. I just purchased a Rem ADL stainless 30.06 and haven't shot it so can't say but heard the x mark pro triggers break so may have to replace it, guess time will tell? One thing I noticed on the Vanguards is that the bolt opens is two stepped? It opens at a point and sounds like it is unlatched but requires it to move up another 1/4 of inch to open it? I could see myself in a hurry for a second shot and possible short stroke it?

IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Vanguard 2, all the way

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
My Vanguard is not the series II so I don't know about their weight. But I give the edge to Vanguard for quality of manufacture but mine is noticeably heavier feeling than a 700 ADL.

So,if light weight matters get the ADL.
Also, your daughter may have a preference in the stock designs. Both good rifles for the money.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
844 members (10Glocks, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 117LBS, 007FJ, 73 invisible), 2,769 guests, and 1,020 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,186,216
Posts18,371,001
Members73,764
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.