Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
I've never seen this asked, so I need to do it myself.

I'd like to try bow hunting, but have I a problem. I'm right handed, and lost the sight of my right eye. It wasn't that hard to switch to shooting a gun left handed, but i have a problem doing that with a bow. I've got a bum left shoulder. It could never pull the string back. I'm sure I could shoot from my right side though. The problem of course is I can't aim from the right side, and that is my question.

Is there any way to shoot from the right side, and aim with my left eye?

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
GB1

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Awkward but anything is possible.

I used to have an arrow (15 or yrs ago) that only had 1 fletching....it was the most accurate arrow I had of the bunch that still had all their fletchings.

M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
I'm thinking of a compound with sights, but maybe I can go another way.

I've read a bit and watched videos of instinctive shooting. Do you think I could do that from the right side with just a left eye. Would my brain compensate and hit the target with tons of practice?

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
With lots of practice I would think so.

I also would think your form would be more critical than one using right eye right hand etc.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Do yourself a favor and shoot get a left handed bow and shoot left handed. It will be a bit akward at first but you'll get it. Then you can use your good eye, have good alignment/form and will be better off in the long run.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Mauser_Hunter
I've never seen this asked, so I need to do it myself.

I'd like to try bow hunting, but have I a problem. I'm right handed, and lost the sight of my right eye. It wasn't that hard to switch to shooting a gun left handed, but i have a problem doing that with a bow. I've got a bum left shoulder. It could never pull the string back. I'm sure I could shoot from my right side though. The problem of course is I can't aim from the right side, and that is my question.

Is there any way to shoot from the right side, and aim with my left eye?
Not a strange question.

I have the same situation. Shoot right and my right eye has an artificial lens. I'm correctable to 20/60 thanks to Vanderbilt University Medical Center.

However, I cannot see the pins on my bowsite. I opted for a Laser Aim cradle sighting device. I have it fixed at approx 25 yards shooting distance. The device is legal in my state.

It comes back to not having to be concerned so much with kisser alignment and all the hoo-ha. I can just draw my bow and lay the dot in the kill zone and thwack!

hope this helps

I didn't have the patience to learn to shoot a 70lb draw on another shoulder. It was just too awkward. Try using a computer mouse with you other hand. It sucks.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
When shooting instinctively you use both eyes. The basics of instinctual archery is to draw and align and achieve anchor point and release. I've shot instinctively the past 45 years or so and it's altogether different than shooting with an aiming sight, which merely requires but one eye.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
You have quite a prediciment. I'd say go xbow. Most states allow it if you have a physical reason why you can't go vertical. Also with the speed of vertical bows now days you don't need much over 40 lbs to kill a deer at 20 yds or so.

Long

M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by longwinters
You have quite a prediciment. I'd say go xbow. Most states allow it if you have a physical reason why you can't go vertical. Also with the speed of vertical bows now days you don't need much over 40 lbs to kill a deer at 20 yds or so.

Long

I actually have a special licence that will allow me to use a crossbow with a scope during bow season here. I never asked for it. It was just sent to me along with being able to use a scope during muzzleloader season. I couldn't bring myself to use either one. If I can't hunt like everybody else. I'll stop hunting.
I've been exercising my lame shoulder trying to build it up. I'll wait to see how that turns out.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I shot left handed one year when I dislocated my r shoulder. Bought a used left handed compound bow set at45 lbs and shot instinctive. Shot fine out to 30 yds. Very doable with practice and have to admit challenging and fun

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Most folks are shooting a bit too heavy of bows. Try to borrow a lightweight lefty draw bow and see if your shoulder can handle it. Work your way up and rock on.

Originally Posted by Mauser_Hunter
Originally Posted by longwinters

Long

I actually have a special licence that will allow me to use a crossbow with a scope during bow season here. I never asked for it. It was just sent to me along with being able to use a scope during muzzleloader season. I couldn't bring myself to use either one. If I can't hunt like everybody else. I'll stop hunting.
I've been exercising my lame shoulder trying to build it up. I'll wait to see how that turns out.
I use a cross bow and don't care what anyone thinks. Had one person make a little comment and after he had his heart attack guess what was in his hands. I enjoy hunting too much to be worried about what everyone else does or thinks.

M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
I never mentioned caring what others think.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I'd say x bow also. Save that shoulder for later years. Parts wear out quick these days it seems.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by centershot
Do yourself a favor and shoot get a left handed bow and shoot left handed. It will be a bit akward at first but you'll get it. Then you can use your good eye, have good alignment/form and will be better off in the long run.

Very good advice , I have a friend that shoots this way because of bum shoulder and he can shoot real well , kills deer every year and does good with 3D.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by 30338
Most folks are shooting a bit too heavy of bows. Try to borrow a lightweight lefty draw bow and see if your shoulder can handle it. Work your way up and rock on.

What he said, maybe get some physical therapy to help as well and exercise to build up the muscle in your left side again. I understand your thinking about not wanting to ruin your hunting as you know it by using a different method such as a X bow but don't rule it out so quickly.

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

521 members (22250rem, 3040Krag, 12344mag, 270cowboy, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 54 invisible), 1,681 guests, and 1,229 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,129
Posts18,523,107
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.