Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Heresy, heresy! Stone him, stone him! All you have to do is make some minor dickaroundisms with the hanger.

Last edited by 5sdad; 02/09/12.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
AMT Auto Mag ll's. Semi Auto 22WMR pistols. I bought and tried THREE of them to try to get one that worked right and was reliable. Spent a fair amount of money on one at a gunsmiths shop who tried to tweak it every which way. I wanted SO badly for one to be a good one I could taste it. Great idea, not well executed. SO very glad that Kel Tech now has thier PMR30. A hit.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Ruger 77 Mk II RL in .257 Roberts.

My first NIB .257 was the same gun only w/ a tang safety. Had a little struggle to get it to shoot, but eventually it rocked.

10-ish years later, I got the Mk II version. What a TURD. 4" groups were about as well as it would do. I sent it back to the factory to see what they could do for it. It came back better, it'd shoot 3-1/2 inch groups sometimes. frown frown

Another one that stunk it up bad was a Remington "enhanced" 700 sporter in .22-250. The only bullet it'd shoot under 2 MOA was the 35 grain VMAX. That was interesting but not what I bought a .22-250 for.

Actually, guess I've had a couple other bad Remingtons. A SS .25-'06 Sendero I never could get to shoot well. It had a big bubble inside the stock in the forend, sort of wrecked the stock's stiffness. I has a 700 XCR in .375 H&H with a bad (oval) chamber. I had two Sevens, one in .350, one in .308, both had bad problems.

That said, I've had really good accuracy from other Ruger and Remington rifles. I think once in a while, a turd slips past QC.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Where shall I begin:
Kimber #1 in 300WSM patterned like a shot gun-back to factory-they replaced barrel-patterns tightened to 4 inches-wouldn't feed factory ammo. Traded for Kimber #2

Kimber #2 in 30-06-worse than kimber #1

Remington 700 Special edition in 308-bedded-recrowned-trigger adjusted-4" groups-traded

There was a pair of Rem 673 in 6.5Rem and 350Rem-heavy and shotgun patterns.

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A Howa in .270 WSM that I could never get to shoot sub-moa - there was always a single flyer out of a 3-shot group that went out over an inch-and-a-half. Fine for hunting, really, but just bugged the hell out of me.

�That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.� George Orwell
IC B2

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Back when comic books were comic books, they often had the most intriguing ads in them. Mattel ran a full-page ad featuring their various western combinations. I was smitten with the one that provided the "Colt" revolver, which included the German SS belt-buckle gun in its holster, and a Remington rolling-block rifle, each weapon firing the spring-driven, greenie-capped cartridges that released a gray plastic bullet. Appropriate discussions were held, and the anticipating leading up to Christmas was nearly unbearable. When the wrapping paper finally gave up its treasures, that rolling block was my greatest disappointment. The bullet rattled down the barrel, expending all of its energy against its walls, and barely pooped out of the muzzle. The little derringer, which could be removed from the buckle, spat out its bullet with enough energy to knock over toy soldiers and leve dents in Mom's pilgrim candles from Thanksgiving. The revolver was not much better than the rifle.

was the little pilgrim gun a short flared barrel with a flintlock , kinda?
It had a pan you put a stick'em cap in and closed over it and the hammer smashed it down to fire it?

Mine was way cool.
Until I filled it with firecracker powder...

That pretty much did it in!

"wanna hear God laugh? Tell Him you have complete control now!"
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Years ago when i was a kid my first rifle was a new Winchester
model 100. Worked ok for about 2 years or a hundred rounds.
Became a single shot after that. Wouldn,t cock internal hammer or reset trigger for 2nd shot.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Back in the mid 90's I bought a Ruger 10-22 new. It was a special model, stainless with a gray laminated stock. Beautiful rifle with a wonderful trigger. At 50 yards off sandbags it had a hard time staying inside 6 inches with about 10 different types of ammo including Eley Tenex. Sent it back to Ruger, they sent it back a month later saying nothing wrong. They hadn't cleaned it and forgot to put the Ruger monogrammed sling back in the box. I got a full refund on that one.

The critters have to win every time, I only have to win once. www.swanspointoutfitters.com
www.lazybar-t.com outfitters
65-43-22-5
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by justin10mm
Remington 597 .22 LR. Jam-o-matic from day one.

I loved the accuracy but yes jamed up alot and the cheap mags wouldn't feed

�The constitution of the United States asserts that all power is inherent in the people, that they may exercise it by themselves, that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed!� � Thomas Jefferson
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
forgot to mention a remington 7400 jamomatic.

My idea of being organic is taking a dump in the woods.

IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
Herritage rough rider .22lr/.22mag. 100% [bleep]. Never right from the word go. It is so bad I can't even sell it.

Remington 700 in .260. First .260 I could find. One factory load available at the time, and with that load it was a 3" gun. Sold it for a loss.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Henry Mini-bolt single shot bolt action .22.

Bought on the Henry name and the review in NRA magazine.

Gun was cheaply constructed and the front sight was mounted so cock-eyed on the barrel that to get it to hit anywhere near the center, you had to drift the rear sight almost until it fell out of the dovetail.

Sent it back and Henry sent me a Golden Boy .22 rifle in return -- Not a fair trade since the Mini-Bolt had a retail of @ $299 and the Golden Boy was going for @ $219 or something like that, but I took it. Never even took delivery of the Golden Boy, had my FFL dealer put it right up for sale as new once it arrived since I never papered it or even touched it.

Henry was good to deal with, but I wouldn't buy another one of their products, US made or not, sad to say.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
pedersoli 72 cal BP double rifle, sent that no regulating POS back to Cabelas, should have known better.

Gunner

Trump Won!
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Sadly, too many to mention them all but just a few off the top of my head....

Browning Nomad .22 auto whose slide cut my hand everytime I fired it.

A long sad series of Ruger No. 1's that I never could get to shoot. An early .22-250 1B that struggled to get under 3" no matter how I played around with the hanger and bedding. Then there was a a 1B .243 with a slim 22" barrel with a chamber so tight it would not chamber my full length sized reloads nor, as it worked out, some brands of factory ammo. I'll be charitable and say it did keep all its shot on paper as long as the paper wis big enough. Then there is the .375 No.1 that graces my gun safe as we speak. I love the rifle and the way it holds, but getting it to shoot continues to be a challenge.( I have a .458 by the way that shoots like a target rifle...and I have seen others that shoot very, very well.)Or how about a recent purchase a 1A in .30-06 whose smallest groups so far is 4 inches. It seems I just can't leave a No. 1 in the rack if I see one at a local shop. It's a sickness...

Oh, and there was a Remington African Plains Rifle in .270 that had a 7mm barrel....or maybe it was a .280 that was mismarked as a .270. With a barrel .007 larger than normal you can imagine how it shot.Remington made it right but I lost interest and sold it for a thousand dollar profit.

And , O dear Lord, there have been others, lot's of them.

You can fool all the people some of the time and some of the people all the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ColsPaul
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Back when comic books were comic books, they often had the most intriguing ads in them. Mattel ran a full-page ad featuring their various western combinations. I was smitten with the one that provided the "Colt" revolver, which included the German SS belt-buckle gun in its holster, and a Remington rolling-block rifle, each weapon firing the spring-driven, greenie-capped cartridges that released a gray plastic bullet. Appropriate discussions were held, and the anticipating leading up to Christmas was nearly unbearable. When the wrapping paper finally gave up its treasures, that rolling block was my greatest disappointment. The bullet rattled down the barrel, expending all of its energy against its walls, and barely pooped out of the muzzle. The little derringer, which could be removed from the buckle, spat out its bullet with enough energy to knock over toy soldiers and leve dents in Mom's pilgrim candles from Thanksgiving. The revolver was not much better than the rifle.

was the little pilgrim gun a short flared barrel with a flintlock , kinda?
It had a pan you put a stick'em cap in and closed over it and the hammer smashed it down to fire it?

Mine was way cool.
Until I filled it with firecracker powder...

That pretty much did it in!

No, but I had that one also. I remember that my trigger finger would get hit with the residue from the cap being fired and would eventually turn a silver/black like I had rubbed it with graphite. It really hummed its little red bullet out of the barrel.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
A Bushmaster carbon 15 in 9x19 that blew up in my hands on about the 300th round (all factory rounds). Most discomfiting. Bushy stood behind it, tho, they offered me another one and I respectfully declined.

Si vis pacem para bellum
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
My only lemon is and has been a Ruger MK II SS boat paddle in 260.

I bought it new and had it fitted with an NECG aperture sight and front blade as well as a trigger job. I had high expectations. I free floated the barrel, Acra-glassed the action. Reshimmed the barrel with varying amounts of pressure. Groups ran from 1.75 to 3.5 moa with a 4-12X Bushnell Trophy no matter what I did.

I sent the barreled action back to Ruger and had them fit a laminate stock to it and check the barrel for accuracy. They threw my tuned trigger into the garbage can and I payed for them to replace it with an LC-6 trigger assembly.

They told me the barrel met factory specifications.

With the new laminate stock, it still grouped just a poorly as before. Once again, I went through the acra-glass routine. I sanded the pressure point out of the stock, which dropped the poi 10 inches at 132 yds, but did nothing to reduce group size.

I recently had the gun out at the bench with a new Bushnell 4200 3-9x40. The thing did not get any better, for sitting in the safe several years

My son also has a MK II boat paddle in 260. I think I will swap triggers with him and put the original stock back on mine, then sell it to someone who only wants to shoot it with the open sights and kill a deer out to a couple hundred yards..

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by GotAmmo
What gun did you just have to buy only later to be totally disappointed with it?

It's a tie for last place -
Ruger Mini-14 and Ruger #1

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much" Teddy Roosevelt
V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Mine was a Ruger M77 in 280. Couldn't keep shots in an 8.5 x 11 sheet of paper at 100 yards. Also, the stock checkering was fuzzy and cut deeper on the right side of the fore arm. Ruger did take it back and replaced the barrel and stock and sent a 50 yard target that measured 3/4" with 3 shots and stated that this met their accuracy standards. I have owned and shot several Ruger 10/22s and have never been impressed with their accuracy either.

"SUPPORT OUR RIGHT TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS"

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Hotload
Originally Posted by GotAmmo
What gun did you just have to buy only later to be totally disappointed with it?

It's a tie for last place -
Ruger Mini-14 and Ruger #1

Oh yeah, forgot my Mini-14 Stainless synthetic model.

Shot about 200 rounds from it, it was good, I liked it. Accurate, etc. Took home, cleaned waited for next time.

Partway into the first 500 rounds, bolt started sticking shut, to the point I had to kick it open. Gun started patterning, rather than grouping. Tended to string upwards.

This was Federal mil-spec ammo. Sold it. Really wanted to like it, but got burned by the Mini as so many others have.

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

591 members (10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 1OntarioJim, 1lessdog, 160user, 007FJ, 72 invisible), 2,431 guests, and 1,339 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,151
Posts18,484,245
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.