Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
V
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
V
The wife and I are much enjoying our new digs. Early 1900s home, FAR better neighborhood than before, much more room...

But, as with all old homes it will develop problems from time to time.

This morning's was/is a plumbing leak that is coming from the tub when it's in operation. Not huge, but something that needs to get fixed. Of course, the source of the leak is a damned mystery, and the problem will most likely be solved by removing a section of ceiling beneath the tub, fixing the leak, and then patching with sheetrock (as opposed to the plaster-and-lathe that's currently there).

Anyway, whilst exploring the problem area this morning, I removed the trap door in the bathroom linen closet. Hmmm... what's this? Drain cleaner? YIKES...

Yeah, this stuff will clean your pipes:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Now, what to do with it?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
grinMake a battery???? grin Check the Anarchists Cookbook to see its practical applications???? grin

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
V
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
V
laughing...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
grin Youa asked for it!! grin

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
ET is right on target! smile smile smile

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That is some heavy duty stuff!

Your local household hazardous waste station should take it.

Love the skull and crossbones!

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
Keep it. Just the ticket for 2 legged pest control or making a batch of gun cotton.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Piss off a tree-hugger/democrap and make like you are dumping it in the storm drain in front of your house.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
V
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
V
By far not the most "interesting" or potentially lethal stuff I've ever found in old houses.

My Dad and I cleaned out his parent's place after his worthless brother finally died. The garage was a cornucopia of stuff. Including a gallon glass pickle jar 3/4 full of strychnine. shocked

Or, the one that I helped clean out in Vermont; an old barn and farmstead that had been bought and set for renovations. 2/3 case of OLD dynamite.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I know some meth. cooks who could probably chemically tone it down and use it to put a little zing in their meth. smile

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well, if the pipes are metal, and someone actually used that sulfuric acid base cleaner I can give you a guess as to why the pipes are leaking. shocked

Cleaners these days are usually lye based and not nearly as corrosive.

Concentrated sulfuric will react violently, and exothermically, with just about anything including water. I've used it in the lab that was so concentrated that is was as thick as syrup. You could let a drop of water drip on it and it would pop as the water drop burst into steam.

Some areas have a hazardous household chemical turn in program. Maybe you could give the waste disposal folks a call. Or maybe dilute it and use it in your car battery? (just kiddin')

In any case be careful. That's some mighty nasty stuff.

=====================
Boots were made for walking
Winds were blowing change
Boys fall in the jungle
As I Came of Age

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Different world today for sure.

You can't even buy decent cold medicine anymore without ID, finger prints, DNA sample, retinal scan.............

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
V
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by hunter1960
I know some meth. cooks who could probably chemically tone it down and use it to put a little zing in their meth. smile

I'd rather people like that just take a shotglass of it straight.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
VA, is that a plastic bottle or glass?

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
V
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by ScoutmasterRick
Well, if the pipes are metal, and someone actually used that sulfuric acid base cleaner I can give you a guess as to why the pipes are leaking. shocked

Cleaners these days are usually lye based and not nearly as corrosive.

Concentrated sulfuric will react violently, and exothermically, with just about anything including water. I've used it in the lab that was so concentrated that is was as thick as syrup. You could let a drop of water drip on it and it would pop as the water drop burst into steam.

Some areas have a hazardous household chemical turn in program. Maybe you could give the waste disposal folks a call. Or maybe dilute it and use it in your car battery? (just kiddin')

In any case be careful. That's some mighty nasty stuff.

Yep, as soon as I found this (there's a little bit missing from the bottle), the idea as to WHY there is a leak was there. WHERE is the next issue. Cast iron tub, and pipes of various eras and compositions (bronze, copper, iron, probably some lead somewhere...), basically what you'd expect of a house built in the early 1900s and updated throughout the years as need be.

V
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by RS308MX

Plastic.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The solution to pollution is dilution. Slowly pour it a few cap fulls at a time into your toilet bowl and flush or get some of the alkaline drain cleaner and mix in open air to bring pH up from 1 of sulphuric acid to 7 of neutral.

If you are in an area that has a lot of calcium carbonate rock mix the acid in water and put in a few shovels full of white rock and the add more water. pH will rise and the problem will be solved.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by VAnimrod
Originally Posted by RS308MX

Plastic.

rut roh frown

you probably know this already, but plastic can turn brittle with age, so I think the first task is to gently get it into an overpack container, so if it starts to leak the acid stays contained.

One of our helpers in the shop was cleaning the bathroom, when he grabs some toilet bowl cleaner and decides to use it at full strength. He eventually realized the fumes were way too strong, and gets out. The boss and I take turns grabbing a breath outside, running in to dilute the cleaner with water, and then running back outside, trying to minimize our exposure. We eventually get it cleaned up with no harm done. I look up the cleaner and realize it's 25% Hydrochloric acid sick

Last edited by tex_n_cal; 02/10/12.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've seen that container before,it's a one of my huntin pard's coffee thermos.. eek

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
V
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by FlyboyFlem
I've seen that container before,it's a one of my huntin pard's coffee thermos.. eek

Betcha he ain't ever got a problem with constipation...

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

540 members (007FJ, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 160user, 12344mag, 49 invisible), 2,032 guests, and 1,359 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,763
Posts18,495,552
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.