Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
hardway Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
I asked about this awhile back but finally decided to do something about it. I sent my factory TG to Campfire member CVMW.... Maker of the super nice aluminum TG's for Rem 600's. He is currently writing a program to copy the factory TG in aluminum. I should have the first prototype shortly. I stand to make no money from this deal but as a favor to him I thought I'd post this and try to guage some interest in this product. We all know Brad thinks the Kimber Montana is light enough as is so hopefully he can spare us smile

These are for the Kimber Montanas only, Not sure on total weight reduction but I would think at least 2oz's..... And 2oz's from behind the front action screw which would only help the balance. Not sure on price either (that will be up to CVMW)but considering the affordability of his rem600 units which require much more machining I think they can be made relativley cheap. Anyways... Who wants one?

HR IC

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I will take a couple based on price and the look of the protype>

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
+1

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Interested.

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
interested also

MOLON LABE
IC B2

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I'd like to see the final product. Count me as intrigued.

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Count me in. Question, will they be blasted, tumbled or will they have a polished finish? I would want to match the current finish as close as possible. Maybe Cerakote?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by hardway
Anyways... Who wants one?

Kimber is making their own Aluminum TG's now so I guess I don't see the point... will likely be a simple matter to order one direct. If a guy want's to strip the finish, a light bead-blast will work.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
hardway Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by hardway
Anyways... Who wants one?

Kimber is making their own Aluminum TG's now so I guess I don't see the point... will likely be a simple matter to order one direct. If a guy want's to strip the finish, a light bead-blast will work.

True, I only had to wait 5 months for my 1911.

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
...or, could do our business with another guy here, not have to wait for Kimber to make them available nor have to strip it...

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
"I will take a couple based on price and the look of the protype>"

Interested in two also ...depending on the above

Jerry

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I would be very interested in one!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
interested in one thanks.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Great addition to the 84M Montana, which will give it more weight up front which I lust. But Kimber could just install a 24" tube to fix this....... wink

The L Montana does not need this. Balance is slightly barrel heavy, which will make the shot on the down that much sweeter. But of course it depends on the scope, mounts & the way you fancy things....... smile

Taking my rifle for a walk
KDK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Interested, if the 84Ms are the same as the 8400WSM.

Originally Posted by ingwe
This is a shooting forum, there is no place here for logic.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I am interested. Had a buddy that was going to make me one at the shop he works at.But the owner said probably $125 and he is to busy now to make them to sell. So I told him no a that price

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by prm
...or, could do our business with another guy here, not have to wait for Kimber to make them available nor have to strip it...

Seems that sound business practice is to make something not available from the factory... marketing to a handful of rifle nuts on 24hr is a great way to lose money IMO.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by prm

Seems that sound business practice is to make something not available from the factory... marketing to a handful of rifle nuts on 24hr is a great way to lose money IMO.

Don't think CNC machining a few items constitutes a business. Just making a few items at cost, nothing more, nothing less. Clearly that 'cost' will determine whether it's viable. CNC machining can enable certain items to be produced very quickly and reasonably inexpensively. If I thought the trigger guards would be available from Kimber in a timely and affordable manner I'd get one. Not holding my breath. Happy to be surprised though.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by prm

Don't think CNC machining a few items constitutes a business. Just making a few items at cost, nothing more, nothing less. Clearly that 'cost' will determine whether it's viable. CNC machining can enable certain items to be produced very quickly and reasonably inexpensively. If I thought the trigger guards would be available from Kimber in a timely and affordable manner I'd get one. Not holding my breath. Happy to be surprised though.

If true I'd agree with that. Not wanting to rain on anyone's parade, just interjecting a different line of thinking...

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
So has anyone actually been in touch with Kimber to find out if the alloy guards will be made available aftermarket and if yes at what price point?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

540 members (12344mag, 2500HD, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 1234, 65 invisible), 2,820 guests, and 1,152 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,315
Posts18,487,290
Members73,968
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.