Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Kenneth Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
First couple a runs here with new Lee trimmers,and case lengths are longer than should be.

30'06 comes out .004 longer than minimum book trim length,

.300 wsm comes out .005 longer than minimum book length,

Is this normal? Are the Lee trimmers not known for cutting down to minimun length?

I guess consistency is the key here, long or short.

HR IC

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have 3 different cartridges in them but have not used them yet, You can email Lee directly, they get back in the same day if not over the weekend.
http://leeprecision.com/home.php?

Thanks,
Bob
Too many calibers and not enough time for the working man to hunt with them all.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I use them exclusively and am fixing to order one to fit my 7mm Mashburn.I never like to go below minimum and .004-.005 is a very small amount.What I really like about the system is it cuts the mouth perfectly square.Leave it as is.Just check them w/your caliper after firing and trim if needed.You're still .oo6 and .oo5 too short and that is a good place to be. powdr

Last edited by powdr; 02/08/12.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If your cases are too long, you can file or sand down the end of the pin that sets the length to whatever you'd like. You can tune it to exactly what you want.

Tom

Regards,

Tom
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
There is no magic in the trim-to lenght, it's just an arbitrary 10 thou less than SAAMI max case length but most chambers are cut 15 thou and more deeper than minimum - so even longer - than SAAMI so case length is not normally a problem. How tight we screw in the Lee length pilot can easily make 2-6 thou difference but your extra 4-5 thou is meaningless.

IC B2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Don't worry about it. I actually prefer them between saami max and .010" trim length. Yours sounds perfect and they will all be identical which is all that matters. When I used to use a lyman trimmer I'd set it to cut a bit longer than "trim-to" length.

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
I have found that shortening the pin does not help with the Lee trimmer because the pin protrudes out the flashhole. You would have to shorten the main arbor instead. pita.

However, I've had great luck by using the Lyman flash hole de-burring tool to flatten the punched hole from the inside of the case. This has the same result as shortening the arbor on the trimmer. Once deburred, the Lee trimmer usually trims to the exact length desired.

Dennis53

L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
I've got a Redding bolted to the bench but never use it. The Lee is soooo easy to use and gives consistent results.

Ken

RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The pin controls case trim length, without the pin a guy could make some serious brass shavings on the table.

Dave

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
They are the slickest tool out there. I had a 100 dollar RCBS case trimmer and it was a piece of junk.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
IC B3

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have found that shortening the pin does not help with the Lee trimmer because the pin protrudes out the flashhole.

?????

Shorten the pin, and you shorten the finished brass by exactly the same amount.

The pin rests against the same steel flat that the base of the case rests on, and the distance from that steel flat to the cutter is exactly the finished length of the brass.

Be not weary in well doing.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Do you have the shaft screwed all the way into the cutter? Sometimes it takes a bit of effort to seat it all the way.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Do you have the shaft screwed all the way into the cutter? Sometimes it takes a bit of effort to seat it all the way.

+1

But I wouldn't want to trim to minimum anyway.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I hold my cutter up to a bright light and tighten the case length gauge until the light disappears. The cutter will dig into a case length if you tighten it too much.

Dave

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I think that as long as case length is within reason, the main requirement is that the cases all be very close to the same length if you're using a roll crimp.

In my own situation, I like to trim an entire lot of brass to minimum length and then keep that brass together through several reloads. That way each case grows at about the same rate, and the cases keep nearly equal lengths.

Be not weary in well doing.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Why would you not want to trim to minimum length or a little past? I hate trimming - I truly enjoy almost every other aspect of reloading, but I hate trimming. Just curious?

"Blessed is the man whose wife is his best friend - especially if she likes to HUNT!"

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength, and love your neighbor as yourself. There is no commandment greater than these."
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
If you don't like trimming you should get a set of these:
http://www.sinclairintl.com/.aspx/pid=32925/Product/Sinclair-Chamber-Length-Gage

I have them in just about every caliber I own. You'll be surprised how much room most guns have. Many of my guns have another .020-.025" trim room than saami specs. Many times I never have to trim a piece of brass for the life ofthe brass....especially magnums.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I have found that this is a very handy tool to have, for headspace and length...

http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/case-prep/rifle-headspace-gauges.php

"To anger a conservative, lie to him. To anger a liberal, tell him the truth." �Theodore Roosevelt

The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. "
--Thomas Jefferson
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Maxidiesel
I have found that this is a very handy tool to have, for headspace and length...

http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/case-prep/rifle-headspace-gauges.php

This is even more handy.....
http://www.hornady.com/store/Headspace-Gauge-Kits/

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
It may be very handy...but the thread was about case length. The tool I "linked" takes a couple seconds to dump the case in, and as fast as you can look, you can see if the case is in the acceptable length range...and if the headspace is right...at the same time. If you were sorting out 1000 cases at a sitting...your calipers would be getting "old". The tool that I referenced costs half as much as yours...and does 2 things. Not trying to upstage you...

"To anger a conservative, lie to him. To anger a liberal, tell him the truth." �Theodore Roosevelt

The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. "
--Thomas Jefferson

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

509 members (1lessdog, 160user, 1234, 219 Wasp, 10ring1, 204guy, 37 invisible), 2,315 guests, and 1,143 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,855
Posts18,517,658
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.