Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Elmer shot dog-shidt bullets...in some cases, that's all he had....

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
a grizzly hit properly with a 270 and a good bullet is a "goner"....

wink

Yah

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Elmer shot dog-shidt bullets...in some cases, that's all he had....
He had a habit of poking quite a few of them into guts or other non vital areas too.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
a grizzly hit properly with a 270 and a good bullet is a "goner"....

wink

Yah

Yah, one of the posters on the 'fire, I think it's BearinFairbanks, uses the .270 with 150-grain Partitions for everything and has done so for about 40 years.

Keep your gun-hand ready and your eyes peeled.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by siskiyous6
Better choice than a 270 - Just saying....

Funny stuff as always on here.....a grizzly hit properly with a 270 and a good bullet is a "goner"....

Research may disclose...at one time anyway, the World Record grizzly was killed with a 30-30;the story showing up in Outdoor Life in the good old days.....and the World Record Polar Bear, with a 270 Winchester.

I'm also pretty sure the record brown bear fell to a 30/06...I guess these folks were not scared of bears like many internet posters....

Look it up.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Just a few comments on this,

The Grizzly shot with a .30-.30 in BC that was the "world record" for some time, was killed by Jack Turner of Lonesome Lake, BC, when it was harassing him on the farm he and his wife, Trudy Edwards, had there. This, happened in May, 1965 and Jack shot the bear because he had to, not because he wanted to or was hunting them; Trudy had told him to not shoot a bear as it is so much work to deal with one.

Jack is a legendary bushman here and was mauled by four yearling Grizzlies one evening just outside of his cabin at Hagensborg, BC while in his early 70s. He survived and is still, I think, alive at about 80.

He is the son-in-law of the famous "Crusoe of Lonesome Lake", the late Ralph Edwards, O.C., who amost singlehandedly, saved the "Trumpeter Swans" who wintered near his pioneer homestead and ended his days at Oona River off Prince Rupert, BC. I knew Jack's brother-in-law, Ralph's eldest son, the late Stan Edwards, at Ocean Falls, BC, more than 40 years ago and they were quite the family of a kind now vanished from BC...to our great loss.

As to the .270 Win. and Grizzlies, I witnessed a fair sized Grizzly killed with a .270 in the East Kootenays of BC in the late '60s and it worked just fine with a "double lung" shot. Within reason, there are lots of cartridge-bullet combos that have been used on Grizzlies successfully.

The ubiquitous .30-.30 was NOT the rifle choice of oldtimers and indians here in Canada's Grizzly country as some have stated here that it was/is. The usual choice from the 1890s on to quite recently was the .303 British and the .30-.40 USArmy and the .30-06 and relatively few kept their old blackpowder rifles of any sort once Winny 1895s in .30-40 and '06 became available.

My first lessons in outdoor sports, some 60 years ago, were from men who lived and worked here in BC in the 1890s and my early training in bush work was by slightly younger men, who had started before "The Great War". I know from these men what the popular guns, etc., were among the oldtimers and, btw, the term "Sourdough" was/is not one widely used in Canada, it refers specifically to particpants in "The Klondike Goldrush" and not to those pioneers here in BC at the same time.

IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
When I started reading the post I recalled this story from long ago. She was squirrel hunting & the bear began stalking her. She climbed some sort of mound & fired at the grizzly. When the bear staggered or fell I can't remember which she reloaded again & again & continued to shoot. I also remember the story of a guy in Canada tending his garden with a 30-30 slung over his back. A grizzly tore through his small fence & attacked. Not sure how many shots were fired, but he killed the grizzly. While there are obviously better choices with premium bullets I see no reason why a grizzly couldn't be shot with a 30-30. I do agree there is no justification for a stunt like this. I rarely watch these TV hunting shows. I especially dislike when the hunter hugs his guide with tears in his eyes after shooting a trophy. Try hugging any of the guides I have hunted with & you would have a black eye to go with your trophy. Must be a California thing.

Life Members SCI & NRA. NRA Instructor & RSO. What have YOU done to support hunting & gun rights?
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
Kutenay, What a surprise to see you posting here again. Good to have you back my friend. laugh

Sam......

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by tbear
When I started reading the post I recalled this story from long ago. She was squirrel hunting & the bear began stalking her. She climbed some sort of mound & fired at the grizzly. When the bear staggered or fell I can't remember which she reloaded again & again & continued to shoot. I also remember the story of a guy in Canada tending his garden with a 30-30 slung over his back. A grizzly tore through his small fence & attacked. Not sure how many shots were fired, but he killed the grizzly. While there are obviously better choices with premium bullets I see no reason why a grizzly couldn't be shot with a 30-30. I do agree there is no justification for a stunt like this. I rarely watch these TV hunting shows. I especially dislike when the hunter hugs his guide with tears in his eyes after shooting a trophy. Try hugging any of the guides I have hunted with & you would have a black eye to go with your trophy. Must be a California thing.

F/O

laugh

[Linked Image]

Proud NRA Life Member
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Blackheart
I also remember reading the story of a huge Grizzly killed by an Inuit woman with one shot from a .22 rimfire in Outdoor Life.

If I not mistaken, the last known wild grizzly bear in New Mexico was killed by a young boy with a single shot .22,

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost....
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
CB Shorts......better'n BB Caps any day.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

IC B3

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by viking
Clint Walker? Night of the Grizzly? Perhaps.
Clint Walker was great in The Dirty Dozen. One of the first huge, body builder, major actors.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Just about ANY hi power round will work when being mauled by a grizzel.
Just remember to put it in your temple or in your mouth angled up to the top of your skull

The pain will end quickly.

"wanna hear God laugh? Tell Him you have complete control now!"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by websterparish47
I was saddened to read that Clint died recently.

He wasn't killed by a grizzly by any chance, was he? grin

According to Alive or Dead, he's still with us as of Feb 12, 2012.

Last edited by natman; 02/12/12.
E
eyeball Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by AKHntr
22 LR is the best caliber for grizzlies. They don't feel death coming on. Three well placed rounds and wait five minutes and get to skinning. Holes sew up with two stiches each.
My problem is, i'd have a rough time out running a Griz in rough country for five minutes at my age.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
E
eyeball Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Too bad we won't hear the stories of those found at times past where that little bullet wasn't a lucky (or great) shot to the cns.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think it is considerate of DD to preface his B.S. posts with a disclaimer:

"It is said that more Grizzlies have been dropped by a 170 grain 30-30 than any other round."

That good ol' "It is said" serves as fair warning that B.S. follows.Of course,in some instances,you can just look at the poster's name.... .grin

Osbourne Russel,in "Journal of a Trapper" relates shooting his first Grizzly with a muzzleloader and then following it into a thicket and finishing it off when it charged him.He admits that it was pure luck that he hit the bear in the head and allowed he would never follow one into thick cover!.

According to him the Mountain Men preferred Grizzly meat to just about any other kind and killed 'em regularly with round ball and BP.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Kutenay: "Jack Turner".....that's the guy.....thanks for jogging an old memory......and that is what I recall...he shot the bear because he "had to"....

I went on line last night.....looks like the current world record polar ear was killed with a 30/06,and the one before that with a 270....

Some of this makes sense I guess because traveling hunters frequently use bigger rifles than locals or natives,who use more common stuff.Since a great many world record animals are not killed by globe trotting trophy hunters, but more so by local folks,these animals get shot with what they had at their disposal....and not with what some think to be "ideal".

Ballistic gack tends to soften ballistics but the bottom line is that anyone armed with a 30/06 or 270 has a very effective and lethal weapon in his hands....not really much to fear.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Does anyone make a belt-fed .30-30? If not, I don't think I'd care for trying to jump 15 greyhound buses on a motorcycle, or taking on a Grizz with my Marlin or my Winchester. Both have been done, but it seems that the potential for getting busted up, is very high.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by shrapnel

30-30...Too much gun, a 25-35 is all you need, once between the eyes...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Either it was self defense or you were young and foolish, or a combination thereof. Either way I'd like to hear the story behind that.

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Any animal that can weigh in excess of 800 pounds, can run 35 MPH and has an attitude that is possessed by a Griz will get a little more respect than a 30-30 from me. And if I were a native to the country where they and their kin are found on a regular basis I would invest in an appropriate gun and caliber. I have an 06' that I load stoutly for black bear. I'm sure it would do but if I were living in Alaska I may think seriously of investing in a 338WM or a 375 H&H to settle arguments quickly.

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

556 members (1badf350, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 1936M71, 1minute, 65 invisible), 2,348 guests, and 1,182 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,706
Posts18,513,879
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.