R

grizz head shot with an arrow.

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
GB1

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
The World Record Brown Bear for years was taken with a .308 bullet,the same as yes,the 30-30.

Some people read to much and scare themselves to death!

Jayco

E
eyeball Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Yea, real hunters only need a bow. I've killed a few with mine, alone and no bait or dogs. Weeelll, they were blackies.

Funny, I asked Tim Wells about that grizz and the head shot. He was man enough to admit that was not done on purpose, but his adrenaline was pumping and he was focused on the head to see if the bear saw him before he shot. Instinct put it where he was looking. I probably woulda shot a high limb.

Last edited by eyeball; 02/12/12.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Steve_NO
yep....which makes one wonder....have we been bamboozled by the hook and bullet press, are animals way tougher than they were a century ago, or were legions of our forefathers consumed by predators after pinking them with puny lever actions? Quien sabe?

Most of 'em got a lot closer than most of us do nowadays.But they didn't think so.I remember a few of them old guys talking about killing deer awaaaay off...... maybe a hunnerd yards.But most of 'em never set foot on a football field,and "a hunnerd yards" was not a common measurement for anything they dealt with.

They were just honestly mistaken.

And........ head shooting was a preferred method of dispatch.I knew two old hunters -make it three- who were born around the turn of the century and hunted into the late eighties and they still shot every critter,hog or deer,right in the head.

Miles Preston was born in 1902 or 1903 and he took me huntin' many times in the fifties and sixties in South Jack County where he lived.Only rifles he owned was a single-shot 22 and a '94 Win in 30 30.I saw him hit a running armadillo at around 75 yards with the first shot from the '94.

And we ate the armadillo for supper.grin

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by eyeball
Originally Posted by levrluvr
Oh well, times have changed. You no longer can catch fish with a Zebco either..... grin
Oh you can hang them on that 33, but as sorry as the metal is now, you just can't crank them in.

A 33 is mighty fancy stuff- I was thinking more along the lines of a minnow scale-encrusted 202.... grin
My 7 year-old daughter keeps reminding me how bad they are, every time she out-fishes me with hers.

IC B2

E
eyeball Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Head shot? wink

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Steve_NO
yep....which makes one wonder....have we been bamboozled by the hook and bullet press,

Does the sun rise in the East?

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
E
eyeball Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I'm kidding Cur. I've related a woodsman of east Texas hitting deer in the head with a 30-30 and it through the timber and ahead of the hounds.

The bear killer Ben Lilly could supposedly empty his on a falling buzzard and never miss a shot. He was the man responsible for cleaning the bear out of La, ark, and Texas and learned to wade in with his hounds and knife the bear. Later he got most the grizz in New Mexico and ran the hounds for TRs infamous bear hunt. There is a very interesting book bout him.

Last edited by eyeball; 02/12/12.

E
eyeball Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Many died years ago behind bullets that came apart on men and critter. I've read of a lawmen killed in a prison breakout when the Peters bullet stuck in the prisoners leather belt, etc.

E
eyeball Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
E
In WW 1 the Germans never forgave the Jews for supposedly saving money and reducing the powder loads in the rifle cartridges which resulted in many bullets stuck in barrels during battle.

IC B3

E
eyeball Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Well, I always wondered if those 33s I picked up for my son at a gun show years ago might have been counterfeits from china. When they first came out with them I did great with them and that newfangled monofilament the fish couldn't see.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Ben liked 30-30 for lion,33win for bear.

E
eyeball Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I was just wondering what he used and couldn't remember. He spent time in your an Ltpowells area too.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'm kidding Cur. I've related a woodsman of east Texas hitting deer in the head with a 30-30 and it through the timber and ahead of the hounds.

The bear killer Ben Lilly could supposedly empty his on a falling buzzard and never miss a shot. He was the man responsible for cleaning the bear out of La, ark, and Texas and learned to wade in with his hounds and knife the bear. Later he got most the grizz in New Mexico and ran the hounds for TRs infamous bear hunt. There is a very interesting book bout him.

I've worked over an '86 in .45-90 that belonged to Lily.
Just squared it away to function. The bore was TRASHED. There was some half completed "Engraving" started on it, obviously "Way back When" , cause it was aged, and scarred to match the rest of the Patina,....

Story was that Ben Lily got tired of waiting for the engraver , and paid him for what was done,.....never made it back.

I repeat,....a LETTERED Winchester, in .45-90,....not a "30-30"

Pretty amazing how little that rifle was being bought,....re-sold for, not all that long ago.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

E
eyeball Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Unreal Cross. I would dearly love to touch that gun.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by cutNshoot
Ben liked 30-30 for lion,33win for bear.

I believe he also ran a .35 Win in a '95.

Nice plaque on a boulder a few miles north of Silver City about old Ben.

Sycamore

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
E
eyeball Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Thanks W4B. Hope you are doing ok in all that snow and cold.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Unreal Cross. I would dearly love to touch that gun.
'

'Jim Clark had it, than sold it with a compendium of other assorted Lilly related plunder,....letters, original first edition books, tools, etc.

as noted, on reflection, this sorta', stuff does NOT bring all that much $$$ jingles.

The '86 discussed had been rode hard, and put away wet,....I'd be pretty sure that it was replaced, and passed into other hands,....

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

E
eyeball Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Be great to know the story behind it.

Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

525 members (1minute, 1badf350, 1OntarioJim, 06hunter59, 10Glocks, 160user, 71 invisible), 2,426 guests, and 1,167 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,704
Posts18,513,823
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.