Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#617010 10/22/05
S
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
S
Trying to decide on what to buy for Ketchikan. I haven't been around them in 5 years. I used a BIG Polaris last time there and I am thinking smaller is better.

Any suggestions, I will just be using it as a vehicle to get from point A to point B on the logging roads. Maybe carry a deer. No off road, mud, etc, etc.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
GB1

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
For the "use" you are after. Take a look at the Kawasaki Mule, Yamaha Rhino, Arctic Cat has one also (which is new, and supposed to be the best). Basicly, they are "Golf Carts on steroids"... Side by side seating, Steering wheel, 4x4, a dump bed, winch, big wheel kits, a roof, etc.

They run a couple thousand more $, than a 4-wheeler.

Jay

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I think most of the indepedent suspension 4X4's with automatic transmissions are all pretty good. My personal choice was the 660 Grizzly mostly due to a better price than Honda or Arctic Cat (the 650 Cat my cousin bought had a lot of power...it would stand straight up when you hit the gas and hang the tires in the air for quite a distance). The Grizzly is a power/work horse and will do close to 70 MPH should some young punk on a racing model challenge your camo 4X4!!! I don't think I would go smaller than a 500 but again that is my personal preference on having the power there in case you need it.
[img][image]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y186/375matt/moose-04.jpg[/img][/image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Dang Matt, I would have never figured on tying that rope off to the rear rack, seems like tying it to the ball hitch would keep the center of gravity lower and be stouter for the pull.
Either way gotta love machinery when there's a moose to be processed, limited experience as most of mine have been shanks mare, and sharp blades. But there's definitely something to be said for chainsaws, 4 wheelers or a front end loader.

"This ain't dress rehearsal....it's the life you get to live, make it a good one."

TEAMWORK = a bunch of people doing what I say
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The polaris rangers are nice but with the cost aproaching a new car i'd go with a smaller atv. I've personally got the Yamaha Kodiak 400. It works well for what i use it for. Haven't ever had it lacking for power and it rides nice. I've carried a Caribou and a Black bear on mine (different times).
I'm assuming you'll be using your truck to transport the ATV in? if so then the Two seater jobs wont fit in the bed.

Paul

I can't spell... Deal with it...
IC B2

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
The group that I hunt with has used Yamaha, Honda, Suzuki, Polaris and Bombardier 4X4's. The ones with the 400 - 500cc engines have all been gas pigs, making it impossible to take extended trips without additional fuel.
For pulling moose out of the thick stuff I (Personal Choice) prefer the Suzuki 250's with the high and low range. The bikes are light enough to push around trees and logs while the moose is hooked up. The Suzuki also has good fuel economy. The down side of Suzuki is the parts seem to be more expensive than the other makes.
We had a 500 Polaris burn it's belt off while pulling out a good size bull and we didn't have a spare belt with us. That was not a good experience.
One more thing about the Polaris and the Bombardier models with the belts. They are noisier than bikes with gear type transmissions.

Mike D.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'll agree that the smaller ones are nice for manuvering around/picking up, The 400cc yamaha i have is light enough for me to pick up by myself. That was one consideration in the purchase. Also, I'm a yamaha guy.

As for the gas thing, i've been on extended trips on mine (40 miles one way) with no problems. i did take extra fuel cause we were camping out for a week caribou hunting. Used less than a tank round trip pulling a trailer with camping gear on the way in and a recently deceased caribou on the way out.

They have gotten better in that regard. One thing that i would like to have is a LOW gear setting. I've got a newer Kodiak without the Low gear. I'm still able to go anywere i want, just go too dang fast some times.

Paul

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Oh, The belt thing is a REAL issue! I've seen more polaris's on the side of the trail broke down with Belt problems than all other manufactures combined! only yamaha i've seen had a Rim break off, owners stupidity and have Never seen a honda broken!

Just my .05
Paul

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
One of my friends tied him off...he figured it would be easier to deal with when I snag him up. Yes, machinery is always a nice option!!! Some other items I would consider:
Secondary starting such as a pull start or kick start. Some of the Polaris models were coming with only electric start.
Warranty time, most used to be 6 months but they are starting to increase the periods now.
The only problems I have seen with the Grizzlies are snapping axles or bearing collars in full diff lock. Did mine trying to pull a large tree in full diff lock with reverse rev limiter bypassed WFO. You can fill the belt case with water if you get in too deep. This can be cured by pulling two drain plugs while you have a smoke!!!

S
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
S
Yep, I am in the "lighter" camp. It will not be carried in my truck, just used as a vehicle on gravel roads.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd probably look for a foot shift model 400cc or less.. They tend to weigh less. My kodiak weighs 480+- dry, i can't dead lift the thing but i don't have any problems lifting one end at a time. If your going to use it where i think, i'd get a 250-350cc one. easier to get on and off the transport vehicle.. i've seen 250's that wieghed less than 350lbs.

Paul

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Look for a Used Rokon, they are small and can ride into places nothing else would even think of. These are two wheel drive. The front wheel is driven with a chain drive just like the rear wheel is. Actually both wheels and chains are the same so they can be interchanged.

[Linked Image]

This was a 170 lb wild hog loaded up on mine. I have since replaced the spoke wheels with the hollow aluminum drum wheels. I can now carry 3 gallons of fuel in each wheel plus the 2.5 gallon tank. That gives it something like 600 miles range. The Marines just bought a whole lot of them for the search for bin laden in Afganistan. Also the Jordainian military has just purchased like 100 of them because of the range in the desert. With my little trailer to haul gear this is a clever machine.

The Rokon has a fully automatic transmission with three selectable ranges. The low range will slowly crawl up any hill you have the nerve to try. The high range has a top speed of about 28mph on mine with the 12 wheels. The Rokon's with the 15" wheels are a bit faster maybe 32mph. I prefer the torque so I wanted the 12 inch wheels.

They are hella expensive new but used they are probably just as good. Just be sure to buy one with a 4 stroke Kohler engine. Not the 2 stroke, the 2 stroke is LOUD! the 4 stroke is probably the quietest ATV engine used today, and very stingy with fuel too.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
S
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
S
I have looked at the Rokon and actually toyed with the idea. But as I have grown older I seem to remember a broken leg or two because of me on 2 wheeled vehicles.

I am BETTER served with 4 wheels.

Yep Paul, it is going to be used where you think. I was thinking no more than 350 myself.

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Paul,

You are mistaken. The two-seater jobs "DO" fit in the bed of a pick-up.

As for 4-wheelers.. I own a '05 Honda Rubicon and a '96 King Quad. Belt drive wheelers are "banned" where we go.. They're not worth the effort to get them in. Belt drives (Polaris) don't handle the deep river crossings very well. The Grizzlies don't do so well either. If you're set on just getting a light, utility machine, Get a Honda..

Jay

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'll have to check when i go back to work on monday. I've got three rangers and 3 mules that i maintain. I'll mesure them to see if i can get them in the back of a pickup. Never tried, they just looked too big to me.

Paul

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've been toying with the idea of bringing mine there too. We'll have to talk when you get here.

Paul

BW Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Jim,

How do you get the fuel from the wheels to the tank?

Brian

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
For the price, I would get a Honda with a motor no smaller than 400cc. I'm currently riding a '04 Arctic Cat 650 LE with 27" Outlaw tires and, to say the least, this four-wheeler has dominated any terrain that has been put infront it. The power is insane.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Now that I know you have quality equipment we may have to go for a ride sometime!!!

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
There's been some good info on here for sure. I've been doing the 4 wheelers since they came out in the 80's starting with the Honda. I am pretty much a Yamaha guy. There 450 is very nice. As has already been stated Low Range is a very important feature, IMHO, some of the others are, having a good winch. I wouldn't own one with out that. Hot grips are GREAT when it gets cold or when you are trying to stay warm from the rain and get your gloves dried out. I like a rear rack extension for gear. Right now I have an older Grizzly and 2 Kawasaki 650's. They do have the power. the Kawasakies and the 450 Yamaha all have diff lock and is very nice if where you are going is MUDDY. I also have the more agressive 27" tires on all of mine. I just won't get a machine without them. One of the things I like about the Kawi's is the wet brake system in the back I have been using them for awhile and they still have breaks. If you ride in the mud one of the first things to go is your breaks then the break cables become an issue and you just get used to having little to no brakes.
I agree with what has already been said (no bashing) Polaris is one machine I just won't get. They just seem to be higher maintenance than all the others combined and we ride with a lot of different people. Belts burning up are FREQUENTLY driver related and how they run their machines as well as not using low range. Low range is your gearing. Just like with snowmachines they use belts. Two people can use the same model and one will go through the belts and the other won't even know there's a problem. I like the geared machines but I think over all the CVT is a better way to go esp, if you are climbing. If you get stuck DON'T try to power out get off and USE YOUR WINCH. YMMV

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

76 members (boatboy, Bluethunder8, BALLISTIK, Akhutr, 14 invisible), 1,227 guests, and 908 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,995
Posts18,481,148
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.