Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
This seems a bit much...

[b][color:#3333FF]Link and newsreel...![/color][/b]

JEFFERSON COUNTY, Colo. (CBS4) � A Jefferson County man was held in jail after refusing to get a license for his dog. Now he and his wife are fighting the fine in court.

4 On Your Side Investigator Rick Sallinger wanted to know how many others don�t have licenses and face the possibility of arrest.

Matthew Townsend and his dog Wolfie fought with the law and got bit. In unincorporated Jefferson County all dogs must have a license � Wolfie did not.

�He�s a service animal for my autistic daughter,� Townsend explained. �So I didn�t feel it was necessary to pay fees; it�s a waste of my time and theirs.�

One day Wolfie and the family�s other dog got out and the Townsends were issued a $50 ticket for not having a license. The county�s animal control unit says it doesn�t actively go looking for violators, but in Townsend�s case deputies arrived to repossess some furniture and happened to discover Matthew missed his day in court, so they proceeded to arrest him.

�Did they handcuff you?� Sallinger asked. �Yes sir, they put me in incarceration � I was afraid they would shoot my dog. I spent 7 hours down there.� Townsend replied.

Seven hours in jail for not having a dog license?

Sallinger asked the Jefferson County Sheriff�s Department how many other dog owners face this possibility. CBS4 found 495 summons were issued last year for failure to have a dog license � 50 of those face arrest for failure to appear.

Jacki Kelley, a spokesperson for the Jefferson County Sheriff�s Office explained, �If they like to roll the dice and ignore the summons issued by animal control, their name is run it will show a warrant and they can be arrested.�

CBS4 asked various dog owners and many weren�t aware they needed a license, and didn�t seem too concerned about it. In fact only 28 percent of dog owners bother to license their dog in all of Jefferson County.

The county say the animal licenses are needed to fund the new $10 million Foothills Animal Shelter. The license is a little star or circle that the dog is supposed to wear and help get it returned if lost.

By CBS4′s figures, Jefferson County and other governments are missing out on a lot money for non-compliance on dog licenses. Jefferson County misses more than $2.5 million a year in uncollected license fees. Denver has 19 percent of its dog owners and 1 percent of its cat owners with licenses, missing out on nearly $3.5 million in money it could collect. In Aurora under 9 percent of dogs and only 1 percent of cats are licensed, missing out on $2.5 million in revenue.

By fighting the fee Townsend and his wife April Mearsha are now in a kind of double jeopardy as she got a ticket as well.

�After they arrested Townsend they came back and gave me a second ticket for a $100 this time,� Mearsha said.

Despite the arrest and risk of fines and court costs, they are not giving up, hoping the law�s bite is not as bad as its bark.

In most communities CBS4 checked, less than 20 percent of the dogs are licensed, meaning in some case they are missing out on millions of dollars a year in revenue.

In Jefferson County it�s $30 to license a dog, $15 if neutered. The Townsends� fight continues.

GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Gee, that gives me an idea for a part time job. I can roam the back yards all over town, report the unlicensed dogs and get a percentage of the proceeds.

Oh wait, my dog doesn't comply with this garbage either. When will the birds, hamsters, etc. get taxed? How about a $1.00 tag for each tropical fish?

Article says Jefferson County has a new $10 million dollar shelter! My town has recently built a muti-million dollar shelter also. Those stray animals are living better than many of the human residents around here.

What a bunch of greedy #^%$#@ ! Is there any end in sight to out of control governments?

"An open message for all Democrats; "Look you are nothing and your work is worthless. Anyone who chooses you is detestable."
Isaiah 41:24 (HCSB)

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
This was an interesting bit...

"By CBS4's figures, Jefferson County and other governments are missing out on a lot money for non-compliance on dog licenses. Jefferson County misses more than $2.5 million a year in uncollected license fees. Denver has 19 percent of its dog owners and 1 percent of its cat owners with licenses, missing out on nearly $3.5 million in money it could collect. In Aurora under 9 percent of dogs and only 1 percent of cats are licensed, missing out on $2.5 million in revenue."

Coming soon as a revenue builder to a city near you....

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Have to have a county license for cats here as well as dogs. $25.00 un-fixed $20.00 fixed.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Seems like he got arrested for not appearing rather than no dog license.

The LEO does not care what brought it on.You have an arrest warrant,they take you in.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
This: " The county say the animal licenses are needed to fund the new $10 million Foothills Animal Shelter." Speaks volumes..
The license is a little star or circle that the dog is supposed to wear and help get it returned if lost.
Small chips inserted under the skin do a better job..

Notice that it's only a 'dog' license.. Why only dogs? Why not a CAT license, a RABBIT license, a BIRD license, etc., etc.??? All this is just another way to obtain revenue from the masses to fund liberal agendas.. Gov't can NEVER glean enough money from folks.. NEVER..

IIRC, someone in the San Fran area some years back fought that (dog licenses) in court - and won..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by T LEE
Have to have a county license for cats here as well as dogs. $25.00 un-fixed $20.00 fixed.
Good lord.. That must cost you 2-3 Benjamins a year. laugh laugh

Total BS...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Nope down to 2 cats these days and the vets are required to report how many you bring in for shots as most are kept inside and would never be spotted otherwise.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Aurora being less than 9% doesn't surprise me. When we lived there several years ago, the fees for dog licenses were doubled for "agressive breeds". Some of the breeds that they considered aggressive I got a laugh out of. If I remember right it was the usual suspects of Pit Bull (before they banned them within the city limits), Rottweiler, German Shephard, Akita, etc. Then they also listed the Siberian Husky and a couple of others that made absolutely no sense at all.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Seems like he got arrested for not appearing rather than no dog license.

The LEO does not care what brought it on.You have an arrest warrant,they take you in.

Exactly, the issue was the citizen being FTA, not the dog license. That's a pretty good Judge that issues a Capias on FTA for a dog license. smile

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
So, if someone disagrees with a fee of some sort, they should just not pay it and get a walk?

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Redneck
This: " The county say the animal licenses are needed to fund the new $10 million Foothills Animal Shelter." Speaks volumes..
The license is a little star or circle that the dog is supposed to wear and help get it returned if lost.
Small chips inserted under the skin do a better job..

Notice that it's only a 'dog' license.. Why only dogs? Why not a CAT license, a RABBIT license, a BIRD license, etc., etc.??? All this is just another way to obtain revenue from the masses to fund liberal agendas.. Gov't can NEVER glean enough money from folks.. NEVER..

IIRC, someone in the San Fran area some years back fought that (dog licenses) in court - and won..

Yah, but he was married to the dog so he got a "spousal accomodation" ruling.

Keep your gun-hand ready and your eyes peeled.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

348 members (160user, 1lesfox, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 1badf350, 35 invisible), 1,964 guests, and 931 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,659
Posts18,512,792
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.