-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I wouldn't call an exact replica of Robert E. Lee's hat gay...but then I don't post while drunk.

"If what I say offends you, you should hear what I don't say."
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You could have Christie Brinkley on your head and you'd still look gay...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
At least I didn't vote for Obama like you did. Are you proud of that?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Swampman1

If that's the best you can come up with, don't even bother..

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

that's deranged,....just plumb deranged.

UHhhh, I take it you don't know the gent ?

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I know him well....

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by E Blair
Wow, I am not sure what I started here! I had been looking at the C. Sharps and the Shiloh Sharps sights and was thinking of getting a cartridge rifle to shoot at the range and maybe do some hunting with. There was a C. Sharps '74 in a local gun shop and that is about the only one I've seen, so maybe I need to get out to Big Timber and take a look at the rifles. Or get out to a BPCR shoot. Any big ones coming up on the east coast?
I agree with Otter. You didn't start anything.

As to Sharps, I'm not as experienced as some. I have owned two of the older type "1874" replicas made in Italy, a real 1859 Cavalry Conversion Carbine, two 1874 newer Pedersolis and a Shiloh. The first two aren't even exact replicas. The two newer Pedersolis are nice weapons. The old, antique Sharps was what it was. The Shiloh is best of all, better even than the antique-of course it was nearly new and the antique was very old.

The Shiloh I got shot hunting groups right after I got it home with non-tailored ammo that probably has bullets too short for the twist. Longer, heavier ones will probably dial it in even better when I get to that. Point-being, they are accurate guns with great potential. These aren't even handloads tailored to the rifle.

The Pedersolis are okay but not in the class of a Shiloh. IMO they are too high for what they are. A Quigley model which has some upgrades, is probably $1500 new whereas you can probably spend $700 more and get a Shiloh. To me, it's not worth the savings to fool with the Italian gun, plus you get an heirloom that was made here by people here with the Shiloh. I don't think you could find a $600 Pedersoli now that was one of the newer, desirable ones.

I tailored loads and shot my little carbine too. It was fun with real black and 500 grain homemade bullets. The old guns are old guns though and a carbine is not the same as an 1874 hunter, buffalo, target, silhouette or whatever gun.

I wouldn't have one of the early Italian guns. One of mine wouldn't even fire though it was brand-new, just out of the box. Those guns show up quite a bit and don't even look right.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I know him well....

Tell you what there, ace, next time I go to NPA to visit the In-Laws, I'll stop by Mary Esther and we can discuss how well you know me, Mr. Lewis...

Oh, your last retort was SO stinging and original, I'm having a hard time coping with your put down...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ignore swampbooger and his limp wristed hat and talk about the attributes of single shots. Did I mention that Hepburn�s Rule!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
LOL...why did you start this if you don't like it? Just another campfire bully.... confused

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by nathanial
Ignore swampbooger and his limp wristed hat and talk about the attributes of single shots. Did I mention that Hepburn�s Rule!

Yep, the "Flush Handle Kingdom" is a happy and prosperous land. grin

Just teasing, outside of those stupid trapdoors, I pretty much love em' all. Even a trapdoor can become a thing of beauty, properly worked over.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Now that flush handle shooter subject came up I have a Question for you that shoot one.
In the past I have had rolling blocks and just never could warm up to them because of the stock configuration, to low in the heal.
This works fine for hunting situations shooting off hand or leaning against a tree, but shooting long range past 600 yards I cant get the cheek weld I want with out curling my fingers over the comb.
I have shot the original Hepburn and they aren't any better.
How are you that shoot the Hepburn's getting along with them at long range? can the tangs be bent a little or will this screw up the trigger bar to much?
I have the opportunity to get a original in the .44-100 straight complete with the heal sight mount and sights.

Kurt

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Being that I think Hepburns are the best looking single shots I will be the first to admit they are not the best for the long range game. I do however enjoy shooting them and have been able to shoot them well at long range. Scores are deffintly better out to 1K with my Sharps rifles though.

An original Hep in 44-100 is a dandy to own, have one and a Roller in 44-90. Both are shooters and do extremly well.

If you pass on buying it let me know if you would, I can be interested in it. Also interested any original Rolling Block sporters and target rifles.

Last edited by nathanial; 02/15/12.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Trapdoors are an aquired taste and are fun to shoot but a pain to clean. Have been looking for a cadet rifle for years but have always been one step behind when it came to a nice one.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Take a Midol Swamp-homo, I just wanted to let you know I can stop by anytime and we can discuss things. No threat intended or implied, but given how "popular" you are here I can see where you could get nervous.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Kurt have you asked Dick about how he gets along with his CSA hepburn?
I know he shot it at one of the Alliance shoots, but can't remember which one...

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
nathenial.

This sale is not cut in stone. Been trying to get this rifle now for several years and his mind has changed every time when it came down to the "OK"
He is a good friend and his Rem. collection is large.
Like I said I never could get warmed up to the drop in the stock they have but I sure would like to have one. It wont get away from me if I hear the "OK"

I have two trap doors one is a Montana rifle and the other is a Pennsylvania that has been cut down but who ever did it done a fine job and the bore is flawless and a good hunting rifle.

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Originally Posted by Ranch13
Kurt have you asked Dick about how he gets along with his CSA hepburn?
I know he shot it at one of the Alliance shoots, but can't remember which one...

Don,

I didn't know he had one. Must be holding out on me.

I want an original one Don.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yeh the one he's got is in 40-65 and it was one of the first if not the first CSA shipped. He got sidetracked by that Wesson rifle, then fell head over heels in love with the matched pair of 110's from CSA.... Think he said he shot that Hepburn the other day with some patched bullets, and was getting some good results,,, or maybe it was the Wesson... Heck I can't remember the boy's got more rifles than you do...

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Man I didn't think anyone had more then me LOL

Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

534 members (219 Wasp, 222Sako, 1eyedmule, 06hunter59, 1_deuce, 12344mag, 62 invisible), 2,586 guests, and 1,314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,570
Posts18,473,264
Members73,940
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.