Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by UPhiker
Originally Posted by TWR
The MIL SPEC receiver extension is stronger than commercial and few quality stocks come in commercial size. It does make a difference.
In the real world, does it really? As the other thread asked, has anyone ever had an AR fail on them?

I agree with with both Liliysdad and Uphiker. The military does make some good stuff. But it's because they expect equipment to meet a standard. I have walked a long way in military boots, and stayed very warm in a military sleep systems. That's not to say better options do not exist.

As far as the AR goes, I have had issues with the stock. My G.I. AR stock got some heavy use, but the only thing that needed replacing was the plastic stock. The buffer tube held up. Whether or not you need something that durable depends on what you're doing..

As far as having other issues with an AR: I had issues with the trigger pins on my G.I. AR. They were thrown out of speck, not allowing the trigger to reset.

Again, both of those issues were on my G.I. AR. Heavy use = broken parts. That statement holds true, with very few exceptions, no matter who made them. But generally speaking, the Military has put a lot of money into the R&D on these things. They prefer to purchase things once.

That being said, I agree with anyone who says: "evaluate what you'll be doing, and choose an appropriate tool." If industrial strength (IE: Mil Spec) isn't something you've ever worried about before, then maybe it's not something you need to worry about now..

"Jack of all trades, master of none, though oftentimes better than master of one" -Geffray Mynshul
GB1

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by TWR
The MIL SPEC receiver extension is stronger than commercial and few quality stocks come in commercial size. It does make a difference.
In the real world, does it really? As the other thread asked, has anyone ever had an AR fail on them?

I've seen one broken, a Bushmaster factory patrol rifle/carbean. The officer who brought it in to be fixed acted like it mattered to him... and he was just at the range doing drills.

It doesn't matter what anyone else uses to me but answer me this, if MIL SPEC is just a standard, why do so many companies take shortcuts and not measure up to the standard? Especially when they are now priced in the same ballpark as say a Colt.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by TWR
Originally Posted by TWR

I've seen one broken, a Bushmaster factory patrol rifle/carbean. The officer who brought it in to be fixed acted like it mattered to him... and he was just at the range doing drills.

It doesn't matter what anyone else uses to me but answer me this, if MIL SPEC is just a standard, why do so many companies take shortcuts and not measure up to the standard? Especially when they are now priced in the same ballpark as say a Colt.

Well, it IS a standard. But I would argue that it's a standard for a reason. That's all.

As for companies cutting corners, that's nothing new. A Business is in business to make money. Period.

Last edited by Skivvy; 10/24/11.

"Jack of all trades, master of none, though oftentimes better than master of one" -Geffray Mynshul
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
one broken out of how many have you seen? We can find examples of broken mil spec guns too.

Unless its actual combat, I personally just don't see it being an issue. And i'm not easy with my weapons, I am not anal about cleaning or not nicking or scratching them, they are simply a tool to me and I'll lay em down in the dirt to do something else for a bit without a worry.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by liliysdad
....That being said, when you can buy a Colt, BCM, or LMT for roughly the same money, I dont see the attraction.

CAn you please tell me where I can buy a LMT 308 for $1400? Does Colt make a 308? I fail to see where $1400 for a LAR-8 is about the same money as a $2500 LMT or a colt rifle that isn't even made.

I don't drink or Smoke. I spend my money on gunpowder and gasoline.
IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by dmsbandit
....That being said, when you can buy a Colt, BCM, or LMT for roughly the same money, I dont see the attraction.

CAn you please tell me where I can buy a LMT 308 for $1400? Does Colt make a 308? I fail to see where $1400 for a LAR-8 is about the same money as a $2500 LMT or a colt rifle that isn't even made.

Sure, I'll help you out. Go back to the very top post, click on that link and you'll find its a 5.56/223 rifle only. No one was talking 308 etc.... Thats why you can't find what you are after, you are on the wrong subject. I do chit like that at times too.

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by rost495
one broken out of how many have you seen? We can find examples of broken mil spec guns too.

Unless its actual combat, I personally just don't see it being an issue. And i'm not easy with my weapons, I am not anal about cleaning or not nicking or scratching them, they are simply a tool to me and I'll lay em down in the dirt to do something else for a bit without a worry.

Seen Used? Hundreds. Maybe more? (So 1 in 100+) Those weren't all used by me of course..

Rost, I agree with you 100%. Simply put: even the "Mil Spec" GI ARs have issues related to hard use. For the gov't, that�s business as usual. For the rest of us, it's a balance of use vs cost.

Last edited by Skivvy; 10/24/11.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Sure, I'll help you out. Go back to the very top post, click on that link and you'll find its a 5.56/223 rifle only. No one was talking 308 etc.... Thats why you can't find what you are after, you are on the wrong subject. I do chit like that at times too.

Jeff

thanks Jeff. I didn't click on the link when I started reading the thread, but I have still yet to see a Colt or LMT .223 within $500 of that RRA price. Usually to beat the $1000 price, you have to buy a S&W or some other plain jane AR.

I don't drink or Smoke. I spend my money on gunpowder and gasoline.
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=6920

They come in batches so if it's not in stock now, it'll be before too long.

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
I still don't understand why some wholesalers sell to the general public for the same price that they sell to dealers.

IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
G&R is a dealer, not a wholesaler.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
was pretty sure you could find Colt for 1000 here and there.......
Originally Posted by TWR
http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=6920

They come in batches so if it's not in stock now, it'll be before too long.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

Jeff

thanks Jeff. I didn't click on the link when I started reading the thread, but I have still yet to see a Colt or LMT .223 within $500 of that RRA price. Usually to beat the $1000 price, you have to buy a S&W or some other plain jane AR.

BTW plain jane ARs have done in many a target, 4 legged, 2 legged, paper etc....

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by Hound_va
G&R is a dealer, not a wholesaler.
Their prices are within $20 of what the major wholesalers (Acusport, Ellett Bros, etc) charge for the same gun.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Grant ain't giving them away I can promise you that.

If you're a dealer then you might need to work a better deal but if you're going by dealer prices, most have a little cushion built in.

Bud's also had the same price a month or so ago...

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by TWR
Grant ain't giving them away I can promise you that.

If you're a dealer then you might need to work a better deal but if you're going by dealer prices, most have a little cushion built in.

Bud's also had the same price a month or so ago...

I gotta agree. He's the best price around (from what I've seen), but I have to imagine that Colt stocking dealers get a bit more price break than your kitchen table variety.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
They are on sale right now so there is some profit in there. I was not able to find the price on the site but I could get you one for $950 shipped and be happy.

NRA Life Member
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
What is the average accuracy you can expect from a 6920 at 100yds?

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
depends on the ammunition I would think. I get about an inch and a half with my 6720 using a 10 power scope with 65 grain Sierra game kings over 25 grains of varget in WW cases and fed 205 primers. Thats for 3, I don't think it would be good for more than that as its got a pencil barrel.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

213 members (300_savage, 16penny, 280shooter, 29aholic, 204guy, 2ndwind, 31 invisible), 2,324 guests, and 1,162 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,367
Posts18,488,253
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.