Hop To
B
BMT Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Gentlemen:

Me and a buddy are thinking about the cheapest way to get the most meat from a hunt. BC most comes to mind. A drive of 8-10 hours up i-5 and maybe a Do it yourself or guided hunt.

No big chalets, fine dinners, or loose women needed.

Just a tent, tags (guide if required) and a high probability chance for meat (no antlers required.)

Thoughts?

Looking at hunting in 2013.

BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
GB1

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
You cannot hunt in BC unless you are guided by a licenced "Guide-Outfitter" in a specific territory legally assigned only to that GO. There are NO provisions for "do it yourself" hunting here for other Canadians and none for foreign nationals.

A guided moose hunt will cost you, with "2 on 1" guiding, from about 5 grand each up to however much you wish to spend and the more costly hunts tend to have a greater success factor. You need to thoroughly research the GOs to find the hunt you want and then check all references carefully.

You MUST retrieve the antlers of any animal you kill and while there are some cow moose hunts, they are few and not always available. A "meat bull hunt" is your best bet and some of BC's best outfitters offer these, hunting from a riverboat and this is probably your best option.

I would contact the Fish and Wildlife Branch in Victoria and ask them for a list of GOs who guide for moose, then call all of these people and ask for brochures, now usually just e-mails and work from there.

If, I go guided in my home province as I may well do given my age and my hunting pards both having two young kids each and wives that tend to think that they should be home more than out hunting with some ornery old baztard like me, I would first choose these outfitters.

Skinnercreekguestranch.... Doug Mcmann

Tuchodi Outfitters....Larry Warren and this is one of BC's top outfits in the game-rich NE region of this province. Stones, moose, elk, G-bears, Mtn. Goats and the whole enchilada....high end, superb REAL wilderness country and a trip of a lifetime.

Drinkalls is another, can't recall his outfit name and there are many other good outfits and some scumbags to avoid, even among the highend outfits. So, do your research carefully.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
BMT,
If both you and your friend have relatives in B.C. you might look into a "Permit to Accompany" hunt..
www.env.gov.bc.ca/pasb/applications.html

It's a great life if you don't weaken..
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Originally Posted by Nrut
BMT,
If both you and your friend have relatives in B.C. you might look into a "Permit to Accompany" hunt..

Not in BC, only Canadians can get Permit to Accompany.

Cheers

SS

If you shoot it on your own, they will cook it
If you don't, they will feed you something they shot.
Which is like having another man change your tire on your truck, NOT GOOD
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
BMT

PM sent

Cheers

SS

IC B2

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Some relative categories of "non-resident aliens" are legally entitled to hunt with a BC resident hunter with the appropriate "Permit to Accompany". The details are clearly set forth in the "BC Hunting and Trapping Regulations Synopsis" and, as I indicated, obtaining a copy thereof is the best first step toward getting exactly the hunt anyone wishes.

If, for example, an American has a sister married to a BC resident hunter he can have his brother-in-law apply for and receive a "Permit to Accompany" for certain species not on L.E.H. and thus would be able to hunt moose, for example, in some regions by this method.

Wild sheep, Grizzlies and other rare game are not available under this regulation and are not likely to be in the forseeable future.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by Sitkaspruce
Originally Posted by Nrut
BMT,

Not in BC, only Canadians can get Permit to Accompany.

Cheers

SS

Right out of the regs. page 9:

A non-resident who is not a resident of Canada and is not a Canadian citizen, may also be eligible under the "Permit to Accompany" providing they qualify under one of the required relationship categories (ie. if accompanied by a father, brother, son, uncle nephew, grandson ,grandfather, mother , sister daughter, aunt, niece, granddaughter, grandmother, spouse, father-in-law, mother-in-law, son-in-law, daughter-in-law, brother-in-law, or sister-in-law, but excludes cousins).

Old neighbors brother-in-law use to come up from Oregon to moose hunt back in the 90's and may still for all I know..

It's a great life if you don't weaken..
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Yup

But that is a real long shot and I was thinking that would not apply to the OP.

Just did not want to have the wrong info out there, but glad you brought it up.

Cheers

SS

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by kutenay
Some relative categories of "non-resident aliens" are legally entitled to hunt with a BC resident hunter with the appropriate "Permit to Accompany". The details are clearly set forth in the "BC Hunting and Trapping Regulations Synopsis" and, as I indicated, obtaining a copy thereof is the best first step toward getting exactly the hunt anyone wishes.

If, for example, an American has a sister married to a BC resident hunter he can have his brother-in-law apply for and receive a "Permit to Accompany" for certain species not on L.E.H. and thus would be able to hunt moose, for example, in some regions by this method.

Wild sheep, Grizzlies and other rare game are not available under this regulation and are not likely to be in the forseeable future.

And if your American Native Indian [citizen of USA]there are ways to hunt BC also.

B
BMT Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Thanks for all of the information guys.

SitkaSpruce PM'd me with an answer that is dead nuts on what I wanted to do.

BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Congratulations! Let us know how things turn out for you.

B
BMT Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
will do. (in about 18 Months)

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BMT
will do. (in about 18 Months)

Roger that.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think ones best bet is to continue up the road to Alaska, and pay a flying service to get one out into the bush.

1Minute
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 1minute
I think ones best bet is to continue up the road to Alaska, and pay a flying service to get one out into the bush.

That is a mighty long "continuation"! laugh

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes it is, but there is more view property on the way, than any other route I've traveled. Not quite a tough of a trip though if one stops in the Tok area.

1Minute
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Alaska

Pretty tough to keep the meat in good shape. It can be done, but it will be tough, especially in Sept.

Cheers

SS

D
DZG Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
BMT, I was following your thread with interest and curious what you came up with? Care to share what you discovered from SitkaSpruce? PM me if you would like. DZG

Hunting is about everything you do before you pull the trigger.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

399 members (17CalFan, 160user, 163bc, 12344mag, 1Longbow, 1lesfox, 36 invisible), 1,992 guests, and 1,117 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,245
Posts18,486,114
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.