Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Canon Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Not sure if this has been discussed here before. A chap I know is doing this to all his Rem 700's, in the same manner as the Weatherby's.
<br>
<br>I believe he is putting three 1/8 " holes, just above the ejection port.
<br>
<br>Good idea ? If no why not ?

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That action/bolt combo is reknowned(sp) for it's gas handling characteristics...so unless he is a trained, knowledgeable, gunsmith I would stay away, far away from that idea.. that's just my .02 though.
<br>
<br>Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Shouldn't hurt anything and can only help disperse gas that blows thru the firing pin hole when a primer or a case is ruptured.The Rem 700 does not have a bolt shroud that prevents gas from blowing out between the bolt plug and the cocking piece.I know,I've felt it on a couple of occasions,the last time it was a blown case in a 223,if there had been holes in the bolt I may not have felt the gas hit my face.Luckily I was wearing glasses.Most gas vent holes in bolts are directed down into the magazine well.This may be purely esthetic in that the holes are not visible when the bolt is closed. Gas that blows thru the lug raceways should be deflected by the bolt plug.

"after the bullet leaves the barrel it doesn't care what headstamp was on the case"
"The 221 Fireball is what the Hornet could have been had it stayed in school"
Canon Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
The reason this guy is doing his , is he had a lot of Win.primers with thin cups.These ones had dimples in the centre from the factory, and a couple rifles with dead centre firing pins would pierce them.
<br>
<br>He had debris blow back at him. He chambers his own rifles so is more than qualified to perform the task. He also likes to load his cartridges with a full belly, so the fact Remington is one of the few that don't vent the bolt, is why he is doing it. After considering this, I'm considering doing my own, including a Sako 75, which doesn't have any venting in front reciever ring either. I was just curious if there is any adverse effects to drilling out the bolts, or reciever ring.
<br>
<br>Even though I take extreme care in keeping masking tape over my muzzle when hunting, and try to stay a little under max loads, one always runs the risk of missing a brass with a weakened ring in front of the web, or barrel obstruction.
<br>
<br>If Steyr, Weatherby, Mauser, Howa etc. vent theirs, I shouldn't forsee any weakening effects by drilling some holes, but thought maybe someone here might know of a reason not to. Thanks

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There is an artical in the latest Rifle magazine, that shows a Kifaru rifle, with plenty of lightening holes on the bottom portion of the bolt.
<br>These holes are either just dimples, or clean through the bolt bottom. The artical says the Kifaru maker stays clear of the lug area, and drills these holes so the dimples are near the lug area, and holes further away. This way the strength of the lug area is retained. This alos provides plenty of venting, directing gas into the magazine. ~~~Suluuq

IC B2

Canon Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks fellas; picked up a couple centre drills, so the next free day I have , my Rems and Sako go into surgery. Just have to keep in mind the partition wall near front of bolt.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Canon- Be careful, we like having you around![Linked Image]
<br>
<br>Mike

NRA Endowment Member

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Suluuq, I saw that article, and couldn't believe that anyone would allow pictures to be taken and published of that kind of metal butchery. Someone needs to take that guys mill away from him.
<br>
<br>Canon, I believe that the effectiveness of those three small holes is open to debate, and by drilling them you'll significantly reduce the value of that particular rifle. Why not keep your loads reasonable, and worry about other things?
<br>
<br>Scott

Canon Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Not to worry Mike. This will only improve the safety capabilities .
<br>
<br>I've never had a blown primer or case separation YET [knock on wood] Should either of these occur on a stock Rem, the gas can go back through the firing pin hole ,right into the face. For the few minutes of time it takes to vent the bolt, why risk it ?
<br>
<br>I heard a horror story of someone getting lanced to the bone by gas venting out of a revolver cylinder, when they tried to hold the gun steady with the free hand.
<br>60-65000 psi out of a rifle could hurt

Canon Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Good point Scott.
<br>
<br>The holes in my Weatherby or Steyr aren't displeasing to look at.
<br>
<br>One could drill them on bolt bottom, but if they ever come into effect, such as a case rupture, I'm not sure I'd like the gas jetting at live rounds in the mag.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Canon I know what you mean about that BC Gap gas...I hunt with a contender now because I was afraid to prop on my knee with a revolver[Linked Image] My lose some meat or something..
<br>
<br>Mike

NRA Endowment Member

Canon Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Mike ; I got a little careless laying back shootin at the rams with my 44 mag. The hole in my jeans and the big scortch mark on my boot top
<br>made me REAL gratefull I wasn't wearing runners.[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Youch! I never have mastered the creedmoor position...My silhouette experience has all been NRA reduced at 100M.
<br>
<br>Mike

NRA Endowment Member

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

479 members (19rabbit52, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 160user, 163bc, 1lesfox, 43 invisible), 2,793 guests, and 1,134 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,656
Posts18,533,887
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.