Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
cowman Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Feb 5 is a date I won't forget anytime soon. I had some cattle to check and I hopped on a quad to run out to the field and wanted to be back in time to catch the start of the Super Bowl. Finished with the inspection of cattle, I headed back towards the house and began to cross a terrace in the field with the Artic Cat. As I crossed the wheels of the quad stuck in a large snowbank on the off side of the terrace. I catapulted over the handle bars and flew some 10 feet ahead and landed on my belly. I began to roll to my left because I knew the quad would follow..I was in my first roll with my left leg extended when the quad came upside down directly on my leg and savagely smashed it down and then bounced off and shut off. I remember thinking how quiet it was and knowing I was hurt badly. My golden retriever crawled up to my face and laid down beside me( the emts later had to drag her away so they could move me). I had my cell phone in my pocket and pulled it out to call for help, because I didn't know if I would pass out soon or not. I called my bro-in-law and then my wife. They beat the emergency crews by a few minutes...I remember telling my wife I had bad underwear on grinwhich I don't think she thought was funny. The response time of the fire and rescue squad was amazing, my wife said there were 3 ambulances, a fire truck, two sheriff deputies, city policeman and about 40 emts and fireman in our field. They put me on a board and slid me into an ambulance(that and the ride out of the field was the most pain I've ever experienced) The ER visit was brief as a chopper was waiting to take me to Sioux Falls. I remember them cutting most of my clothes off and being able to say goodbye to my kids before they put me on the helicopter. The flight was very quick and smooth, my wife was allowed to ride up front with the pilot. After being wheeled into the ER the rest of my clothes were cut off and I was mercifully then put under while they put my hip back into place. I remember waking up as they were doing a series of CT scans determing the damage to my hip. I then was wheeled to a room and ended up seeing the last quarter of the Super Bowl.
The diagnosis was an acetabuler fracture, with my femur effectively blowing out the back of the hip socket and then being displaced on the side of my hip. Surgery was scheduled 4 days later to repair the hip(this allowed the trauma around the socket to calm down and make the repair easier) Surgery went very well, with plenty of stainless hardware added to beef up my hip. I was very blessed to have the surgeon I did, one of the best in the nation for repairs like mine.
I am now home with a walker and need at least 8 weeks off my hip, with a total recovery time of 3-4 months. This will be very tough for me as I am used to being very active. On the bright side, I am alive and have an excellent chance of a full recovery. I will have lots of time to spend with my family(and catch up on the campfire :)) [Linked Image]Picture of left hip show incision area [Linked Image]Pic showing swelling of left leg and old man's walker

Last edited by cowman; 02/18/12.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
DAMN! it hurt just reading that. I wish you a speedy and complete recovery. don't push it! might be a good time to start a new hobby to keep yourself busy, but not so active smile

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Sorry to hear it happened; glad to hear it is going well. Will throw in a prayer for continued smooth recovery. (Best be careful of those kind of pictures - might wind up getting the thread moved down to Talk to the Webmaster. smile )

Last edited by 5sdad; 02/18/12.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Man,..that's the Blues..

Glad they were able to fix it. I expect you'll make a recovery quicker than they anticipate.

On the bright side,..that's one less hip you'll have to worry about down the road.!

L
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
L
Thank God for modern surgery. May you have a full recovery.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Surely glad to hear it turned out as well as it did considering how bad the outcome could have been.
Take it easy, as if you had a choice.

Quando Omni Moritati
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Ouch. Hope your recuperation time goes quickly and you are back up and going soon.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
cowman,

I prayed for your complete recovery. Sorry you got hurt.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dude......Happy it wasn't your head that got squished!

A good friend is rehabbing from a spiral fracture of his femur. It takes time, he's five months in and doing well now without a cane.

Someone here had mentioned raw oats as being beneficial to healing bones? Scott F I think?

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Ouch!

Hang in there, stay active as you can and ward off the doggone blood clots that sometimes seem to form after trauma like that.

I read your post aloud, and my wife laughed when I got to the part about underwear - she said "see, you should always wear it." Oooops.

Hang in there - healing will happen - it just slows a guy down for a while.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
should have took a horse theys generally safer then those new fangled machines they got out now :)stay safe and follow docs orders
norm

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good to hear that things went well. Hang in there- Denny

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
The good news is that you're young and keep yourself up, thus I expect you'll make a full recovery. I see quite a few of these at my work and most end up with excellent outcomes, even the 350 pounders which you are definitley not. You probably know this already but I have to say it...Don't fart around and do stuff you should not, don't push it. The easier you are on this the better and stronger the knit will be.

Si vis pacem para bellum
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The best to you and a speedy recovery.

Wayne

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Joatmon
The good news is that you're young and keep yourself up, thus I expect you'll make a full recovery. I see quite a few of these at my work and most end up with excellent outcomes, even the 350 pounders which you are definitley not. You probably know this already but I have to say it...Don't fart around and do stuff you should not, don't push it. The easier you are on this the better and stronger the knit will be.

What he said...

Prayers for your full recover! BTW, before this happened, you didn't happen to pray for patience, did you!?! laugh

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
ATVs are a menace. smile Get well soon.

It's all in the reflexes.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
One of the most painful injuries that one can have. Similar injury several years ago along with fractured pelvis and cracked socket. Pain was a 10+ Three foot ladder fall, glad it wasn't four foot or I wouldn't be around to antagonize the wife. GW

If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. MACHIAVELLI
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Good luck an speedy recovery

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've been hurt ALMOST as badly, years ago.A foot, both legs, ......about a full year in reconstructive surgeries, Bone Fusions, etc.

Keeping your spirits up can be a bit of a challenge, it goes with that territory.

NUTRITION focused on "Bone Healing" is worth a look, I'm convinced it contributed to my 'Walking Away' from injuries that were supposed to leave me "Disabled". Silly stuff like a coupla' drops of Organic Iodine in one's coffee, daily, and the like. I'm not going to be a missionary for holistic Mineral and Vitamin supplemental therapy here, will only say that in my case, combined with Modern Surgical miracles, it left me in FAR better shape than anyone expected.

Your on a prayer list here, my friend, ...Strength and Healing !

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That just sucks! If you can find a way to come North again we could find a way for you to sit and fish...

Then again, sitting might not be the best plan, either?

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

549 members (160user, 1minute, 10ring1, 1234, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 62 invisible), 2,391 guests, and 1,359 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,162
Posts18,484,348
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.