Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
I am watching Gunsmoke and the are converting a M70 from a 7mag to a 458 lot. They are trying to get the barrel off the action and put a torch to it to heat it up becuase they cant get it off.

RELIEF CUT

GB1

E
EWY Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
I saw my first and only episode of the show today. They made a cannon and had a 22/45 painted. The owner was annoying and the 'smiths were peckerheads.

Ernie

George Washington - �Labour to keep alive in your breast that little spark of celestial fire,�conscience.�

God save the Republic
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
How about holding the .458 Lott in their hand to testfire????? Didn't want to damage the stock should something go wrong, guess the dumbass gunsmith considers his hand expendable. Removing the barrel from tha action was good for giggles & grins, the bozos were totally clueless how to go about it. Didn't think they were gunsmiths from that point on and they didn't prove me wrong. Letting the owner testfire the finished product shooting at a safe packed with explosives was the icing on the cake however.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I "USED TO" hand hold barreled actions to test fire various calibers up to and including 375 H&H Ackley Improved. Customers would ship their stuff without stocks and if I didn't have a stock that would fit on hand... well, you get the idea. There's an art to doing it. grin It's certainly not for the recoil shy, or, the timid.

Lock, Stock and Barrel gunworks
SLC, Ut
USMC 69-73

"This is my rifle, there are many like it but this one is mine. My rifle is my best friend, it is my life."
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I watched that show today too.Seemed like we are supposed to believe that this shop is a top notch custom builder of fine guns. I guess I wasn't impressed.

Everything I say to you is a lie , and that is the truth.
IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Malm
I "USED TO" hand hold barreled actions to test fire various calibers up to and including 375 H&H Ackley Improved. Customers would ship their stuff without stocks and if I didn't have a stock that would fit on hand... well, you get the idea. There's an art to doing it. grin It's certainly not for the recoil shy, or, the timid.
I'll pass, thank you..

When I don't have a stock I have a way of anchoring the action on my shooting bench by using 4X4" wood blocks clamped on the table - the action weighed down by 2 bags of shot - and I stand 5 feet back with a cord attached to the trigger.. I've used that method up to .416Rem and it's worked just fine..

After watching a couple of these so-called 'gunsmith' shows on TV I've come to the conclusion that they really should be shown on the 'comedy' channels..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The owner, Rich Wyatt, strikes me as a pompous horse's ass. But, you've got to remember that this is TV, mostly scripted, so you really don't know what parts are "real" and what parts were "manufactured" by script writers. Seriously, how many gun shops have you been in where the clerks were women wearing skimpy tops that showed a lot of cleavage like Rich's wife, Renee, and daughter, Paige, do?

Add to that, how many fathers would be excited about their teenage daughters wears some of the skimpy tops that Paige does? Rich and Renee get low parenting grades in my book. But, before too long, Paige will be off to college, if she can find a college that will let her carry her "accessory sized" lap dog with her everywhere she goes. She must think that she is celebrity in the Paris Hilton vain.

Jeff

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Whew, glad I'm not the only one to be appalled on one hand and amused on the other. The whole cast is clueless, or arrogant, or both.

Sadly I wonder if these "gunsmithing reality shows" aren't a backhanded attempt by the producers of said shows to further smear the image of legitimate gun owners in the minds of those who aren't? We aren't all blustery, arrogant, snobbish, ignorant buffoons as these shows would have you believe.

I guess a show about an average competent gunsmith walking a customer through a custom build and then the careful development of loads for it afterward wouldn't get a very high Nielsen Rating. Not unless there were a profusion of explosions, full auto fire, and big-breasted cute jail baits to hold the public's attention.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by gnoahhh

Sadly I wonder if these "gunsmithing reality shows" aren't a backhanded attempt by the producers of said shows to further smear the image of legitimate gun owners in the minds of those who aren't?

I don't think so, people like these are Legends in their Own Minds . As far as heating the actions to get the barrel off , it isn't a bad idea as long as you don't over do it. Remington uses a thread locker on their barrel and a little bit of heat will soften it and make the barrel come off much easier, just don't over do the heat just enough to see the locker start to bubble and then screw it off. Less chance of damaging the action by putting to much pressure on it from the action wrench.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I would watch if they showed the daughter a little more, the nonsense a little less.

I guess she is only 17 so I rescind that lecherous statement.

Last edited by supercrewd; 02/20/12.

NRA Life Member
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
what day and time does this program air? Is it on the Outdoor Channel?

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Sounds like you were watching "America's Funniest Home Videos of People Getting hurt".

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Discovery Channel. Can't tell you when. I stumble onto it when channel surfing.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Redneck
Originally Posted by Malm
I'll pass, thank you..

When I don't have a stock I have a way of anchoring the action on my shooting bench by using 4X4" wood blocks clamped on the table - the action weighed down by 2 bags of shot - and I stand 5 feet back with a cord attached to the trigger.. I've used that method up to .416Rem and it's worked just fine..

After watching a couple of these so-called 'gunsmith' shows on TV I've come to the conclusion that they really should be shown on the 'comedy' channels..

I like tying a barreled action to an old tire with a judicious amount of cotton rope along with the trigger string method of ignition. Pretty high tech! grin

One man with courage makes a majority....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
The owner, Rich, screwed me and about 50 others out of $200 bucks each. I was attending CST in 1998 and signed up for one of his CCW classes. The class was 2 evenings. We all showed up for the 2nd night and he didnt show. Tried to get my money back, or finish the course but no one could track him down.

The antics on his show don't surprise me at all!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Is he the guy that takes a fire arm from a customer and assumes it is unloaded. Never does he check a chamber for a chambered round. My dad taught me and I taught my son that all guns are loaded until you prove they are unloaded. This Lothario never learned this safety rule.

AdmiralZummie
Nuclear Grade U.B.C. Ret.
NRA Lifer

"For God so loved the world he didn't send a committee!"

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

529 members (222Sako, 2500HD, 257 roberts, 12344mag, 22250rem, 160user, 62 invisible), 2,285 guests, and 1,243 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,495
Posts18,509,124
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.