Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I've asked several questions on this forum. And have been doing my research. I'm ready to buy a new rifle in 338 win mag. As a pistol and shotgun guy I have very little experience with different rifle manufacturers. I love my savage accu trigger in my model 212 shotgun. I like the Winchester model 70. And the Ruger m77. So how do you decide what hunting rifle you will buy? I like stainless and synthetic stocks. Please give me your point of view. Thanks. Ryan.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I prefer an accurate rifle. That's why I buy a Remington 700 when I need a new one.

"If what I say offends you, you should hear what I don't say."
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Finish of the rifle and it's fit to me. If it doesn't fit and feel right, I'll never shoot it accurately in the field.

Stop by your favorite gun outfit and tell the guy at the counter that you want to try on everything on the rack. If he looks annoyed try the next dude unit you find one that is really interested in helping. Have him lay out as many as possible on the counter. Look closely at the fit and finish of metal and wood. You may have to look at several samples of each manufacturer. Try each in your hands and at your shoulder until you find one that comes to your shoulder easily and right to your eye. Have the counter guy take all away that don't pass.

After and hour or so you will start to focus in on one or two that may make your grade. Beware that some stores push some brands more than others. Don't be pushed if they try to sell one over the other, remind them that it's your choice. If they don't respect that, leave.

I used to work at a Sportsman's Warehouse for several years. I liked to lay out everything I had and let the guy try them and make his choice. I only offered opinions when asked.

Enjoy your search. It's what keeps the off season bearable.

"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."
Henry Ford

If it's tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
F
F
Taz4570 has sound advice. I also recommend looking at the warranty and customer service.

I am a proponent for the Montana Rifle, which is very similar to the pre-64 Winchester Model 70, with added features, and recommend looking at their Production Rifles.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Between a model 70 and a Ruger there is no bad choice. Since you said stainless and synthetic is what you like I think the M70 EW is a fine choice. I personally own a Ruger MKII stainless with the older "boat paddle" or "skeleton" stock.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Between a model 70 and a Ruger there is no bad choice. Since you said stainless and synthetic is what you like I think the M70 EW is a fine choice. I personally own a Ruger MKII stainless with the older "boat paddle" or "skeleton" stock.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rbodenburg529
I've asked several questions on this forum. And have been doing my research. I'm ready to buy a new rifle in 338 win mag. As a pistol and shotgun guy I have very little experience with different rifle manufacturers. I love my savage accu trigger in my model 212 shotgun. I like the Winchester model 70. And the Ruger m77. So how do you decide what hunting rifle you will buy? I like stainless and synthetic stocks. Please give me your point of view. Thanks. Ryan.

Sounds like you already know what you like,..trigger, stock, stainless. Just keep going down the road you're on, you'll find the one you like.

If possible go to a store and handle them, put them up against your shoulder. IMO, the differences in stock design make some rifles point like an extension of your arm, (winchester, savage, ruger) and some rifles just feel like a 15lb war club (remington) Pick the one that fits you best.

They should all shoot well unless you get the proverbial lemon, which can't be helped.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
How much do you want to spend?? Rem 700 is not easy to find in 338 although I sold a nice BDL recently. I don't think you could go wrong with a Win 70 or a Ruger 77/Hawkeye.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
If you like the accutrigger, you could do a lot worse than a Savage 16/116 Weather Warrior/Bear Hunter....

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
R
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I'm thinking I'll spend 6-7-800 on the rifle alone. I've handled and shot win 70's. There nice. I own that savage 212 and it fits well and I like the trigger but I'm not overly impressed with the action, but it is a 12guage shotgun. I've only handled a few of the rugers and I like the fit and feel. The local gun shop spent some time with me yesterday and they quoted $615 on a new m77 stainless synthetic.
I need to test drive all these rifles at a range. Anyone know where they will let ya shoot before you buy? Lol. Thanks for your input.

IC B3

R
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I think I've narrowed it to the Winchester ultimate shadow. They have gone back to the pre 64 style crf action? Anyone have any input on the new rifle using the original style actions?

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

599 members (160user, 16penny, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 54 invisible), 2,426 guests, and 1,351 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,633
Posts18,474,383
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.