Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
U
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
U
You walk into a shop where you're not known, strike up a conversation, look at few guns, etc. You've been there 20-30 minutes and have decided you like the place, do you find yourself buying something small that you don't especially need? What might that be?

"If I'm already on my way down
I might as well just work the crowd"

GB1

C
CLB Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I have several joints "I like", but I'm not gonna spend money just 'cause...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Great excuse to pick up a box of 22's, perhaps a pound of powder if they have something....in stock....I have an interest in. Have bought a couple of boresnakes this way.
I do think we need to support small shops however we can.
I have noticed that it's pretty common to see folks in small shops, including gunsmiths, that seem to think nothing of taking up the owners time for no good reason.

Imagine your grave on a windy winter night. You've been dead for 70 years.
It's been 50 since a visitor last paused at your tombstone.....
Now explain why you're in a pissy mood today.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Box of .22's, bore cleaning products, reloading items. Something small but useful.

Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool !!

"Keep your booger hook off the bang switch until your sights are on the target".

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I enjoy browsing gun shops when I travel. I usually have a "Needs/Wants" list in my shirt pocket to refer to. If I can't find something on my list I will try to buy a box of bullets that I use, or a brick of .22s. I always try to buy something, unless the shop folks are total jerks, even if it's just a bag of cleaning patches.

Nifty-250

"If you don't know where you're going, you may wind up somewhere else".
Yogi Berra
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bottle of pop, stick of jerky, brick of primers, box of bullets, pound of powder, Lee trim gauge and holder, set of dies and shellholder, bag of brass, lenspen, sling, maps, flashlight, camping doodads, knife, and whatever used loading components happen to be laying around as long as they're my caliber.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yeah, I usually buy components, a little ammo or maybe some small reloading tool--though on occasion I've also been known to buy a rifle!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good camping doodads include a match safe, magnesium fire starter, compass, and fluorescent glo sticks (for the kids to play with while I'm trying to sleep in the tent). There's all kinds of neat toys in the camping department.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Not too many nice small shops around anymore.Walmart,Gander Mt.,Scheels,Fleet Farm have put a hurtin on them.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That is exactly why we need to support the small shops as much as we can. At least the ones that deserve it.

Nifty-250

"If you don't know where you're going, you may wind up somewhere else".
Yogi Berra
IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
If it is a small shop, and I can say I "feel good" about the place I will find something to buy.

edited to add...

The larger chain stores, I have no problem leaving without buying something, I usually don't get the same "feeling" in these places anyway.

Last edited by bubbajay; 02/20/12.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yeah, those are the places that I pick up odds and ends that I forget when I make a mad dash to the big city with a laundry list that doesn't include some of the small essentials. Those kinds of places often have a pound of powder, a box of bullets or some other item that are always out of stock in the bigger stores.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Urban_Redneck
You walk into a shop where you're not known, strike up a conversation, look at few guns, etc. You've been there 20-30 minutes and have decided you like the place, do you find yourself buying something small that you don't especially need? What might that be?

No.

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
If I see something I want and the price is right, I'll buy it. If I don't like the place (and we've discussed this in other threads), unless the price is a real bargain, I'll pass.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I have done it many times, I figure the conversation and such is worth the dollar or two I would save going to one of the box stores

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by fyshbum
Box of .22's, bore cleaning products, reloading items. Something small but useful.

Yup, for me the other day it was a can of Wipe Out.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by CLB
I have several joints "I like", but I'm not gonna spend money just 'cause...

I hope one isn't Hoffmans

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

The gunsmith I use is a old timer who also owns a classic old-time gunshop A small little shop stuffed to the ceiling with merchandise--but his merchandise ain't cheap. He is also a classic oldtime grumpy curmudgeon gunsmith/gun shop owner......if he takes dislike to you, ya' may as well give it up.......

I went to pains to develop a good working relationship with him--so yeah, I stop in for "face time" on occasion, and be sure to buy a pound of powder, or maybe some cleaning stuff. He also had primers on hand during the primer hoarding era. He would only sell a couple hundred at a time, that way he took care of his regular customers--including me when I ran out of one brand of small rifle primers!

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

No

I would buy something I needed like cleaning patches or solvent or brushes.

Snake

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I worked in a gun store, and saw no end of people that thought they owed nothing for the time they took away from clerks, nor the fact that the inventory, rent, taxes, insurance, utilities and more don't get paid by "Just looking."

Knowing that, I ALWAYS buy something, thank them for their time and smile when I leave.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

544 members (1OntarioJim, 222Sako, 06hunter59, 204guy, 12344mag, 219DW, 67 invisible), 2,414 guests, and 1,220 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,302
Posts18,487,100
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.