Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
H
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
H
Just curious about them - I'm running a MR now and am happy (and most likely not changing anything) but always trying to pay attention to what else is out there.

Fit, durability, etc.

Thanks in advance.

GB1

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Fit is great and comfortable to pack. I have the Icon 3000 that I use as my all around pack. Two and a half pounds lighter than my old day pack. rides close to your back and holds my tripod and big eyes nicely in the outside pocket.
I really like having the extra room for game cameras or meat if successful.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Save your money...

[Linked Image]

That was straight up painful. 100 Lbs there, and it sucked bad

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
I have a 3000. It was quite comfortable up to about 75 or 80 lbs. I didn't get to go above that. It's like any other pack, you gotta try it your self. Everyone is different.

IC B2

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Just an observation but the picture of the guy putting the pack on above does not appear to have it adjusted very well. Looks to me like everything is too low and too far back.
Took me a bit to get it adjusted so it fit correctly. Pretty hard to put on someone else's pack and throw 100 pounds in it and expect it to fit and perform correctly.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Squirrelduster
Just an observation but the picture of the guy putting the pack on above does not appear to have it adjusted very well. Looks to me like everything is too low and too far back.
Took me a bit to get it adjusted so it fit correctly. Pretty hard to put on someone else's pack and throw 100 pounds in it and expect it to fit and perform correctly.

That was my pack that Dan was putting on in the picture above, its sitting low because he was still putting the pack on. After owning MR, Kuiu, and Kifaru, the Kuiu is junk compared to the other two. When I put that pack on with the same 100# and adjusted most of the weight to my hips the frame compressed so badly that there was a 4" gap between my back and the pack frame. It was very comfortable with 30# and horrendous with 100#. The frame simply was not stiff enough to handle that kind of weight, like it was billed to be able to. Not to mention the fear that the carbon-fiber frame might explode at any second. Just one former owners opinion.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I always wondered what forums you hung out on. We had some good times that weekend for sure.

Squirrelduster, my findings on 204's pack are pretty much the same. I obviously couldn't see what the pack looked like on me, but I couldn't get the weight on my hips to feel right. It felt like the whole waist belt was trying to up-end. It felt very unbalanced and top heavy, like it was falling away.

I was very unimpressed with their pack. I like some of their clothing, but I'm a bowhunter smile

I'm Irish...

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
[bleep] honesty...love it

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well if it isn't SW Wyoming's favorite milkman laugh

I'm Irish...

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I haven't heard many good things about the pack from my buddies that wear packs a bunch. I've heard that the clothes are awesome and the packs are crap

H
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
H

Thanks Brad, I appreciate it - I did a search and didn't find this but I'm sure it was user error (obviously it exists and you found it).

Sounds like I'll be sticking with my MR - thanks to all of you who commented.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I personally think, when carrying a load, it is hard to beat something that features a frame like an external. Small diameter tubing has a tremendous amount of strength to downward stress. All internals, mimic the good things about a good external. Regarding the weakness of the CF frame, well it's not tubing. If it was tubing it could be very strong.

Personally, I have no desire to go over 100 lbs in a pack. I've carried it in a Crew cab, but it was still uncomfortable. I much prefer alternative methods and distribution. I carried half an Elk out with bone this year, but I carried a front quarter on my front to balance the load, it was fine that way as it reduced the heavy load lean.

Another options are drag solutions like a game glide. I know you can argue that it only works on limited terrain, but rarely do people get out of the car and start bushwhacking right out of the gate, there is usually some combination of roads, trails, meadows and game trails plus bushwhacking. If you can drag for 50% of your carry out, go for it.

Lightweight Tipi Tents and Hunting Tents https://seekoutside.com/tipis-and-hot-tents/
Backpacks for backpack hunting https://seekoutside.com/hunting-backpacks/
Hot Tent Systemshttps://seekoutside.com/hot-tent-combos/
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Just to add to my earlier post Brad dug up, if I was looking at the real possibility of 75#'s and over, I'd be bringing my external Barneys pack.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Why does no one talk about the badlands OX ? I know it's heavier than listed, but the frame is strong if it fits you right.

Lightweight Tipi Tents and Hunting Tents https://seekoutside.com/tipis-and-hot-tents/
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well for me is because its an 11 pound 4400 cu in external frame pack for $500. If it were me in that type of market, I'd opt for Barney's Pinnacle. The Badlands OX is 30% heavier, than the Barney's and the Barney's has over twice the volume capcity.

One is $640 and one is $500. Given the close difference in price the choice is pretty clear for me as the Barney's is hands down the toughest hunting pack frame on the market.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Can you buy a Barney's frame by itself?

I've looked thru their website a few times but it leaves a lot to be desired.

God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Their website is terrible!!! Just call to get a quote. They are open until 9 pm your time sir!! laugh

Yes you can just buy their pack frame. Its 4.5 pounds with the top bar and meat shelf removed which I never used anyways.

Hope that helps

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
It's 11 lbs ? I thought it went 7 or 8 lbs. I agree to much weight though.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by alaska_lanche
Their website is terrible!!! Just call to get a quote. They are open until 9 pm your time sir!! laugh

Yes you can just buy their pack frame. Its 4.5 pounds with the top bar and meat shelf which I never used anyways.

Hope that helps

Thanks, I appreciate it.

God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy...
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

539 members (10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 1Akshooter, 222Sako, 01Foreman400, 21, 52 invisible), 2,415 guests, and 1,180 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,455
Posts18,489,729
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.