S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
PM sent

Cheers

SS

If you shoot it on your own, they will cook it
If you don't, they will feed you something they shot.
Which is like having another man change your tire on your truck, NOT GOOD
GB1

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
PM sent

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Met Don Elliott the owner of Mattice Lake Outfitters at the All Canadian Show in Minneapolis today. Nice, and honest. Resonable priced and looks to have great facility. When I find the time and money he will be my choice. Buckfever1 from MN

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Our group hunted with Don Elliot for 7 years. He has probably the best run operation I have ever used. Have never yet heard anyone complain of their dealings with Don.

Jim

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ok gang, sorry for me being so slow but in regards to Mattice Lake Lodge are they guiding the moose hunts or supplying a place to camp and getting you into the hunt area?

The info I got from the would suggest it's more of a drop camp than a guided hunt. That's fine with me, but just need to know.

And if it's a drop camp, do they suppply you with a boat?

I'm thinking I'll be there end of Sept 2013.

Many thx for your time

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Nice to see a province that lets one hunt w/o a guide.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Boat motor and gas would be part of the deal, IMO. Guides can be hired as well, IIRC. (at extra cost of course, but 1OntarioJim would be the one to chirp.)

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

O
O
Check out DoubleEagleOutfitters.com. I have hunted with them 4 times in a row. Brought back three moose. They take excellent care of your meat as well as clients. Most hunting is by ARGO to stands and calling. Be sure to get out of camp before daylight, as activity is highest at dawn. You also have an excellent chance to pop a wolf, which naturally they encourage.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I took a 40-inch bull in NW Ontario in 2010. It's possible to get a bigger one but I was happy and the meat is great.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I hunted with these folks and was treated very well:

http://www.kayair.com/Home.html

Hunting was from a boat with short trips ashore for calling and stalking. Walleye fishing was a plus, and we spent quite a bit of time watching for moose while having lines in the water:

[Linked Image]

It was nice to be able to drive to their floatplane base, and also to be able to bring all of the meat, including the heart and liver, back home in my truck.

PM me if you want more info.

Last edited by wildhobbybobby; 02/20/12.

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nicely done!

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
IC B3

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by Tony
Nice to see a province that lets one hunt w/o a guide.

Theoretically, that seems a good idea, however, if we were to allow that in BC, for example, as we do with angling for Steelhead and the giant, native Rainbow Trout of Kootenay Lake, we would have a total zoo in no time. How, would the game populations of the Kootenays, already compromised for several decades by major habitat loss and some over-hunting, withstand the thousands of eager nimrods who would drive from a half-hour to half a day north from the USA and flood our limited hunting areas and opportunities?

There are a LOT of things that need to be changed in BC hunting/angling and the Guide-Outfitter situation is chief among these, but, allowing foreign non-guided hunting here is not among them and would be a disastrous policy change by our government.

So, I gotta disagree on this one and I think that the improvements that should be made, could include a better "hunter host" policy and perhaps better access to our growing bear population as it would be better for US hunters to harvest them that to have our COs shoot them as "problem bears". JMHO.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by wildhobbybobby
I took a 40-inch bull in NW Ontario in 2010. It's possible to get a bigger one but I was happy and the meat is great.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I hunted with these folks and was treated very well:

http://www.kayair.com/Home.html

Hunting was from a boat with short trips ashore for calling and stalking. Walleye fishing was a plus, and we spent quite a bit of time watching for moose while having lines in the water:

[Linked Image]

It was nice to be able to drive to their floatplane base, and also to be able to bring all of the meat, including the heart and liver, back home in my truck.

PM me if you want more info.

How is Pete doing? His is definately top drawer

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by the_shootist
Boat motor and gas would be part of the deal, IMO. Guides can be hired as well, IIRC. (at extra cost of course, but 1OntarioJim would be the one to chirp.)

When we hunted with Mattice Lake Outfitters we never used a guide. I never really inquired about getting guide services but am sure Don could arrange something if asked to do so.

I think most of Don's trips are based out of his fishing cabins scattered across the area. He also has a few drop camps although I only ever heard of a couple of regulars who used the drop in sites. One was a husband and wife pair and I believe they were succesful most years.

I think the drop camps could be quite productive but at my age much prefer the comfort of a cabin that has hot showers and better facilities. When I was young and much poorer I did my share of drop camps and rough camps but no longer want that!

To each his own. If you prefer a drop camp it can be arranged.

Jim

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

506 members (16penny, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 16gage, 10ring1, 12344mag, 50 invisible), 2,841 guests, and 1,184 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,755
Posts18,514,806
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.