Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#6201426 02/21/12
S
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
S
Has anyone tried the latest? Just ordered 2 bricks so I guess I'll find out soon enough.

[Linked Image]

http://www.cci-ammunition.com/whatsnew/newproducts.aspx

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Pretty cool Scott!

Looking forward to your experiences.

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
If I did the math correctly (it's been awhile), that bullet leaves the muzzle at 484 MPH, give or take. FWIW

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No, going to as soon as I can find any and hoping it is waaay more accurate than CCI's CB Longs.

Jerry

Si vis pacem, para bellum
S
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
S
CTD has them for $2.42 per 50.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you can find them, Rem makes a CBee 22LR, 33 HP, velocity is advertised as 740. Makes less noise than my springer 22. Wont cycle the 10-22, but pretty accurate. I did whack a feral cat with one, broadside lung shot at 41 yards.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

S
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
S
Remington rimfire ammo skeers me, besides the CCI version is less expensive.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I stumbled on these in a gunshop and tried them. No misfires out of about 25 so far. You couldnt give me Rem bulk 22 stuff.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Those quiet 22's are not so quiet in a pistol, so try them where noise isnt a concern first. Used to shoot alot of CCI CB's. They will get the neighbors attention in a pistol.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I did an accuracy experiment with the remington cbee, CCI longs, and colbari 60 grain sub-sonic (spelling?, bought at cabelas). The remington was unreliable to fire or group, the cb longs did alright, but the 60 grains were very accurate in my old mossberg single shot "garden sniper" project. Matter of fact, they shot scary flat from 25 yeard to 50 yards so I need to experiment more on short range accuracy or find a chronagraph to verify speed.

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Scott,

I'm not familiar with CDT, what is the contact information?

Jeff

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
guessing Cheaper Than Dirt.

Google "CTD ammo sales" .....

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
S
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
S
Yep, Cheaper Than Dirt

S
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by humdinger
I did an accuracy experiment with the remington cbee, CCI longs, and colbari 60 grain sub-sonic (spelling?, bought at cabelas). The remington was unreliable to fire or group, the cb longs did alright, but the 60 grains were very accurate in my old mossberg single shot "garden sniper" project. Matter of fact, they shot scary flat from 25 yeard to 50 yards so I need to experiment more on short range accuracy or find a chronagraph to verify speed.

And that has what to do with CCI Quiet-22?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The Quiet ammo is getting good reviews at RFC. Will be shooting some of that soon enough. Good pig medicine.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
The Quiet ammo is getting good reviews at RFC. Will be shooting some of that soon enough. Good pig medicine.

Roger-that! CCI's CB Shorts and Longs propel 29grain round nose boolits I recall, at @727fps MV.

Will be interesting to learn how many more foot-pounds this new 710fps 40grain load offers? smirk Ought to be good for helping to eliminate chamber-slop. wink

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Ill look for them.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Picked up some CCI CB 22 SHORT ammo a few months ago. Nice accuracy out of an old Winchester Mod. 67. Low noise level and this spring I'm gonna chronograph a few to see how fast that 29 gr. lead round nose is going. CCI claims 710 fps. Will also try them out in a few other 22's. Even if they won't cycle a 10/22 it will be interesting. Wonder what they'd be like in my S&W 2206 TGT?

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Steelhead

And that has what to do with CCI Quiet-22?

Nothing really, but they may be cb longs repacked in a different way and those shot so-so in all my 22's... and to let you know there are alternatives out there. Everyone else is suggesting other makes so I threw my two cents in.

Thats the problem of asking peoples opinion on the internet... You usually get more than you expected.

We look forward to your full report.

Last edited by humdinger; 02/21/12.

ADP Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It will be interesting to try them against a box of Winchester Subsonics. I can't tell much difference in the subsonic .22lr and the regular .22shorts. Then again I live in the country where I don't really have to worry about sound.

S
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
S
Roger, I like the fact that 1) they are the right length for the chamber and 2) less expensive than CB longs and shorts.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted By: humdinger

And that has what to do with CCI Quiet-22?...Steelie

Was going to say other possible options.

Digital Dan...The Remington CBee's get good reviews over at RFC and they were pretty inaccurate in my rifles. For that matter several folks over at RFC think Remington rimfire ammo is great? Could be I got a bad lot? or maybe remington cleaned up it rimfire ammo act with the more recent CBee's?

Humdinger, not many 22's will (with a standard twist) shoot the 60 grain Aguila's. One of my rifles shot them great, cleaned it and next thing I know they are tumbling at 25 yards.

The Rem. CBee's are priced ridiculously high! Haven't seen CCI's Quiet .22 Round yet, Been hoping there would be a large HP, but more than likely just a round nose!

Jerry

Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
Thanks for the headsup. The CB's are awesome, but don't feed great in my 44USD. Hope these are a little better.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Roger, I like the fact that 1) they are the right length for the chamber and 2) less expensive than CB longs and shorts.

Both VERY GOOD improvements. One thing that helps it fill up the chamber is a full-size 40 grain boolit! If that 40grn bullet launches at the same velocity the CCI CB's, that will already guarantee an increase in terminal peorpormance too! wink

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I'll have to look at these again because the LR length and 40 grain bullet will help with terminal performance.

Oh - and thanks Jerry on warning me about tumble on the 60 grainers. Maybe the old mossberg hast a fast twist or my lack of cleaning makes it shoot them well. This mossberg is rough and proper storage should be just inside the barn door and not my safe...

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I wish i could find these in stock locally.

What type of accuracy is everyone getting?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 22250rem
Picked up some CCI CB 22 SHORT ammo a few months ago. Nice accuracy out of an old Winchester Mod. 67. Low noise level and this spring I'm gonna chronograph a few to see how fast that 29 gr. lead round nose is going. CCI claims 710 fps. Will also try them out in a few other 22's. Even if they won't cycle a 10/22 it will be interesting. Wonder what they'd be like in my S&W 2206 TGT?

The CB short and CB longs are the same load in different cases? The CBs out of my bolt Winchester pass the backyard test here in suburbia, but the Collbri are quieter. I believe the Collbri are primer charged only, but they are working on the annoying crow problem.

I think I'll have to give this new quiet ammo a look.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Digital Dan...The Remington CBee's get good reviews over at RFC and they were pretty inaccurate in my rifles. For that matter several folks over at RFC think Remington rimfire ammo is great? Could be I got a bad lot? or maybe remington cleaned up it rimfire ammo act with the more recent CBee's?

Never fiddled with the Rem. version but rimfires tend to be picky about their fodder. I think it has a lot to do with bullet design, that meaning a normal roundnose form will engage the rifling more quickly than a truncated HP and perhaps perform better. Most of my .22s have never met a CCI round they wouldn't shoot reasonably well, and some purely dote on their stuff. The T/C carbine I shoot shorts with lightly engraves the bullet when a round is chambered and that is probably why it shoots CB shorts so well.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

S
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
S
Received them the other day, look just like any other RN 22LR. I'll run them soon.

H
H
I havent come across that loading though I do shoot a lot of CCI subsonics[1060] fps. Now suppressed that would be a fine round.
Will buy some when I see them. Thanks for the heads up.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Received them the other day, look just like any other RN 22LR. I'll run them soon.

Steelie,

Who had them & how much...I cannot find them locally!

Real curious as to how they shoot?

Jerry

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Real quiet with sub-sonic ammo.

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Midway has them at $2.69/50. I ordered a brick.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Skimmed this so may have missed it already if said.

How do these compare to CB's in decibel levels?

Wish Federal would make CB's again. Down to my last two, quieter than CCI, and accurate enough within intended range.

S
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
S
Cheaper than Dirt is where I ordered them. $2.42 per 50 so I order 20 and they came in two bricks.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Scott ... get any trigger time with them yet???

George
Associate Gypsy

Originally Posted by GOD
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I'm kinda curious too, but if I see some I'm going to go ahead and get them anyway.

S
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
S
Work, work, work, but I have a few days off next week and will be running them.

S
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
S
In handgun and rifle.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Hurry up. I'm sick of waiting.

Travis

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Give him a break. The clock is ticking and he has a lot on his mind. smile

On the other hand a little shooting expedition might be just the ticket for an R & R.

S
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
S
I'm thinking of running a little video also to compare sounds. I'm really interested in how it is in a handgun.

S
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
S
Lets see, closed on a new house, getting married, retiring and moving all in a 6 month time frame. Yep, not too stressful.....

I figure it's better to take it all on at once.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
do these have powder in them or like the aguila ones with in powder?? now those are as quite or more so than an air gun

Last edited by ldholton; 02/29/12.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well Scott ... Congrats, Congrats & Congrats

George
Associate Gypsy

Originally Posted by GOD
S
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
S
Thanks!

Yes, they have powder in them.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm thinking of running a little video also to compare sounds. I'm really interested in how it is in a handgun.

Coulda been done a lot better

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Wished I would have seen this a couple of hours ago. I would have included that stuff in my latest order from JSC.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by ldholton
do these have powder in them or like the aguila ones with in powder?? now those are as quite or more so than an air gun

Aguila used to make (and HOPEFULLY still does) the 'Colibri' round, and a 'Super Colibri.' Altho I've never used either ..... alledgedly the reg Colibri has no powder and relies on the "primer" only for propellent at @375fps MV, and the Super Colibris rate @500fps MV, both with a 20 grain cone shaped bullet.

I too am anxious to see how this new CCI 'invention' is going to work and according to data MidwayUSA, this Quiet-22 is supposed to propel a standard 40grn RN bullet at 710fps MV for approx 45 foot pounds of ME.

The Remington CBEE is also of interest, as a possible replacement for CCI CB Shorts and Longs (without their chamber-slop and not always reliable accuracy).

QUESTION: what would be better? If the Quiet-22 was equally accurate to the Remington CBee 22?

The Quiet-22 launches its 40grn RN bullet at 710fps for 45fpe and .....

the CBee 22 launches its 33grn HP bullet at 740fps for 40fps.

IS THE DIFFERENCE going to be worth worrying about?
shocked grin

I'll settle on the one thats most accurate of course, despite that reports are the CBee with its hollow point (Yellow Jacket bullet) is a reliable mushrooming bullet!

However this would be a departure, since we almost NEVER buy Remington .22's at my house! comments?

S
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
S
The CCI version is certainly less expensive than the Remington version and I've had fairly [bleep] luck with Remington rimfire ammo.

That is what I call a no brainer.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Colibri's are wicked. I love 'em.

Travis

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by StubbleDuck
IS THE DIFFERENCE going to be worth worrying about? [/b] shocked grin

Probably good for one or two sleepless nights ... fretting over minutia is what loonies do smile

George
Associate Gypsy

Originally Posted by GOD
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by avagadro
Probably good for one or two sleepless nights ... smile

laugh laugh laugh

Didin't even look at price before my last post. crazy

I did try some CBee's about a month ago (I forgot to add). fired 10 of em from a 16inch 10/22 that fed easily (manually). Incredibly quiet even from that short tube!! cool

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Help me out, but, why is 740 FPS more quiet than 1124 FPS?
Isnt sub-sonic of any speed going to be the same report at the origin?

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It takes more powder to get the bullet going 1124 fps than it does 740 fps. That additional powder is leaving the barrel at higher pressure, and it is the sound that is made by that hot expanding gas that produces the report, not the sound of the bullet.

By using a small charge of very fast burning powder, or no powder at all, the report is greatly reduced.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
So a reduced 308 load with trailboss would be more quiet than a reduced load using 4895? if the MV was the same?

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
just got done trying the new CCI quite 22 LR out of 2 Ruger 10-22's, one with the regular bolt and the other with a 22 short bolt. The regular bolt 10-22 didnt cycle the bolt, but the 10-22 with the 22 short bolt in it cycled just like a 10-22 on hi velocity, 25 rounds down range in 4 seconds without a jam. Accurary out at 50 yards ran 1/2" and did get to pop a squirrel with it and they dropped him on a dime but it was a head shot. NOTE I think the bolt running was louder than the rounds going off

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gemby58
... NOTE I think the bolt running was louder than the rounds going off

Gotta love that (well I guess you don't have to) smile

George
Associate Gypsy

Originally Posted by GOD
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I'm glad to see this thread, A guy at the last gunshow wanted $8 a box for .22 cb's.
The original sticker said $1.80 a box.

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I bought a case of these as I figured once everyone see how good they work they will go up in price, also if they werent any good I would sell off in box or brick price for everyone to try out, didnt try in my 40x's, 52's or sako's and dont think I will since they will cycle through my 10-22 short bolt gun

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
"but the 10-22 with the 22 short bolt in it cycled just like a 10-22 on hi velocity, 25 rounds down range in 4 seconds without a jam. Accurary out at 50 yards ran 1/2" "

gemby,

That sounds awesome...maybe even better than .22 shorts in my book! Let us know how accurate they are in your other rifles.

Thanks,

Jerry

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I got these for pest control for the yard I dont shoot anything but top notch ammo out of my good rifle 40X, 52, sako, 10-22 gets everything through them, go 1/2" groups with them out to 50 yards alot better then what I can get with cb's and then I dont get a ring in the chamber from shooting longs

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by colodog
I'm glad to see this thread, A guy at the last gunshow wanted $8 a box for .22 cb's.
The original sticker said $1.80 a box.

$1.80/bx sounds like very old stock! possibly?

$8.00/100 pack is the typical price I see for current CCI CB Shorts AND Longs. Also, $25/$26 a brick for the new CCI Quiet-22's is fairly reasonable with the vendors in my area (north of seattle). Last CCI Standard Vel .22LR's I paid for were @$21.00+ / brick (not inexpensive, but thats a current price).

E
EWY Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
The Rem CBees I tried didn't seem that quiet. Waiting to see what's said about the CCI quiet stuff.

Ernie

George Washington - �Labour to keep alive in your breast that little spark of celestial fire,�conscience.�

God save the Republic
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Scott,

I know you may be a touch busy with some minor matters, but I do hope you get to the range this weekend and try out the new CCI ammo.(grins)

All the best, and congrats.

Steve

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ringworm
So a reduced 308 load with trailboss would be more quiet than a reduced load using 4895? if the MV was the same?

The primary factor in muzzle report is exit pressure, not the charge per se. For a given load exit pressure will generally be lower with a longer barrel. Exit pressure for a given velocity might be altered somewhat by playing around with different powders but I doubt the results will be obvious to the average ear.

A related factor in the equation is expansion ratio, which correlates with exit pressure. ER is case volume (base of a seated bullet is the datum) to bore volume. You can correctly infer from this that shorts have advantage over long rifles in a given barrel, albeit the difference is not great. Long rifles in an average .22 barrel run in the mid to high 1:30's range (ER), shorts a fair bit more. If the bullet weight is the same, it will take a bit more powder to move a bullet from the LR case at the same velocity as the short, this due to lower initial pressure, if all else is equal. Same show, different bang as it were.

In the case of the .22 LR Quiet, the bullet is about 30% heavier and has more bearing surface. It will take more powder to equal the MV as a short and thus produce a small bit more noise, assuming equal length barrels, or the same gun. The LR will likely be much more accurate in a LR chamber.

Some years ago Paco Kelly did some work with the .45-70 and roundball loads using a very small charge of powder and the ball seated at the bottom of the case. If I'm properly informed this is where the term "cat sneeze load" originated. They were quiet and still lethal on small game. I had similar experience with the .44 Mag in a rifle using paper patched round balls over about 1.5-2 grains of Bullseye. Odd report, about like a healthy beer fart.

The short version of all the above: Long barrels and little powder is your friend if quiet is the objective. Light bullets help reach the desired velocity and something in the range of 600-750 fps is practical regardless of caliber. If you need something quieter you probably need a can, but I've fired CB shorts and the .44 loads in close proximity to people that either did not hear or failed to recognize what they heard. Their dogs did however... Both loads will kill stuff on the spot if applied to the brain or cervical vertebrae.

A note of caution to those building their own loads: Don't try this theory with jacketed bullets as they will almost certainly stick in the bore. BTDT

I am..........disturbed.

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Steelhead any update?

My experience with any of the underpowered stuff is they are too erratic, I had the Colibri and loved the noise level but the 4-6" fliers at 25 yards left much to be desired.

Also as Dan mentioned about the cat sneeze loads, 158-180gr cast over 2.5gr of bullseye in .35 Whelen or .358 is almost as quiet as the Colibri and does about 700fps.

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
..... Some years ago Paco Kelly did some work with the .45-70 and roundball loads using a very small charge of powder and the ball seated at the bottom of the case. If I'm properly informed this is where the term "cat sneeze load" originated. They were quiet and still lethal on small game. I had similar experience with the .44 Mag in a rifle using paper patched round balls over about 1.5-2 grains of Bullseye. Odd report, about like a healthy beer fart.

The short version of all the above: Long barrels and little powder is your friend if quiet is the objective. Light bullets help reach the desired velocity and something in the range of 600-750 fps is practical regardless of caliber. If you need something quieter you probably need a can, but I've fired CB shorts and the .44 loads in close proximity to people that either did not hear or failed to recognize what they heard. Their dogs did however... Both loads will kill stuff on the spot if applied to the brain or cervical vertebrae.....

Interesting data!, Dan. Would love to see the technique used to load those .45/70 cat-loads, since that's on a tapered case. wink Not questioning, just saying.

Also one technique I;ve read about but have to try with lead balls in reduced loads is sizing/swaging slightly over-size lead balls to a correct bore size through a sizer die. Triple ought-buckshot or .375" (.36 cal) black powder balls might could be used to make .358/.359 cal 'boolits' for those cat's sneeze loads.

MINIMUM VELOCITY? Is 600fps really a safe velocity to reload to? Somewhere I was taught 700fps (minimum) is supposed to be much safer. Is that just someone's opinion? or myth? Thanks!

Regarding quiet and "CB" rimfire loadings, still waiting to make up my mind which one is best.

DIGRESSING a little: It might also be interesting to see how those two reduced-load rimfires might could cycle a lightweight (Volquartsen) SA bolt in a modified (long rifle) M10/22 (with the ltwt bolt originally made for the .22 Short 10/22 kit made by Volquartsen).

Last edited by StubbleDuck; 03/13/12.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Don't know the technique used for what I've read of Mr. Kelly's work with the .45-70. Likewise I'm not clear on the taper issue you raise.

[Linked Image]

As for the .44 Mag loads I worked with they were sized to .422" and wrapped with 2 layers of 9# onionskin. I loaded both one and two ball loads w/o crimp. I also did some of this with conical bullets of 300 grains, a FNCB patched form that flew with the same charge. There was no question in my mind it was slower than 700 fps but I did not run it over the Chrony. There was also no question about the bullet clearing the barrel.

Single ball accuracy at 25 yards was around 1". Double ball accuracy was a bit curious, with the consistent creation of two groups, one at point of aim, the other about 6" to the 10 o'clock. Both groups ran about the same 1" size for two series of 3 shots each.

Myth or fact is your call.

There was a recent thread at RFC on the matter of making a 10-22 run with CBs and using a standard bolt to do it. Boiled down to polishing the surfaces that interact during bolt cycle and cutting springs a small bit, but it worked in the end. As I recall the gun still functioned with LR subs afterward but I'm not sure of the advisability to doing that.

I am..........disturbed.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
.....As for the .44 Mag loads I worked with they were sized to .422" and wrapped with 2 layers of 9# onionskin. (kool!) I loaded both one and two ball loads w/o crimp. I also did some of this with conical bullets of 300 grains, a FNCB patched form that flew with the same charge. There was no question in my mind it was slower than 700 fps but I did not run it over the Chrony. There was also no question about the bullet clearing the barrel.

Single ball accuracy at 25 yards was around 1". Double ball accuracy was a bit curious, with the consistent creation of two groups, one at point of aim, the other about 6" to the 10 o'clock. Both groups ran about the same 1" size for two series of 3 shots each.

Myth or fact is your call.

There was a recent thread at RFC on the matter of making a 10-22 run with CBs and using a standard bolt to do it. Boiled down to polishing the surfaces that interact during bolt cycle and cutting springs a small bit, but it worked in the end. As I recall the gun still functioned with LR subs afterward but I'm not sure of the advisability to doing that.

Thanks for your reply Dan. Question about any myth was if anything as slow as 600fps is safe enough to use as a benchmark MV, but as you said your loads cleared the bore even if you didn't clock them (hard to ignore success smirk ).

Also those POA and '10 o'clock' groups are indeed perplexing! Usually two groups like those will cluster on a vertical line, which is usually the case with loads for the Judge wheelguns, and duplex loads I've seen.

As for a taper with the .45/70 case, you can see a slight taper on the outside but the brass is indeed thickish at the inside base (I failed to remember) and if its like some plastic shotshells that have thick side walls but "thin" towards the case mouth, it sounds like it isn't a problem afterall and my concern was for naught! blush

In addition I have no problem with the concept of making innovative loads in many cartridges, and you just helped explain/alleviate Dan, how a viable shotshell could be made (within limts, not unlike with the .444) if a person was using the .45/70 and .444 cases to create an array of "survival" rounds!

Back in 1972, an exclusive article in the 10th ed Handloader's Digest was written about doing exactly that, using the the .444 Marlin as an all-around survival rifle! Personally I don't shoot the .444, although it did show some promise.

Also that specialized M10/22 you mentioned discussed at Rimfire Central; Good to know there's information like that available. grin Thanks!, SD

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
just got done trying the new CCI quite 22 LR out of 2 Ruger 10-22's, one with the regular bolt and the other with a 22 short bolt. The regular bolt 10-22 didnt cycle the bolt, but the 10-22 with the 22 short bolt in it cycled just like a 10-22 on hi velocity, 25 rounds down range in 4 seconds without a jam. Accurary out at 50 yards ran 1/2" and did get to pop a squirrel with it and they dropped him on a dime but it was a head shot. NOTE I think the bolt running was louder than the rounds going off

Thanks gemby. Now I got something else to buy...

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
SD, I recall the article you refer to, read it several times over the years. Speculation on my part but I'd think the .45-70 loads probably involved a card wad, maybe more. If there is any taper in the .44 case it is sufficiently small so as to not present a problem. Loading patched round balls did require slight flaring of the case mouth and a very gentle touch with a taper crimp die to remove the flare.

An observation about the CB ammo. I have experienced excellent accuracy with the CB shorts, but I'm shooting them from a rifle chambered for that cartridge and the case is, well, short. Haven't tried any of the LR variants but found less accuracy with CB longs in a LR chamber. Presumably this comes from the larger case volume and the powder wandering around. Some years ago Crossfireoops suggested elevating the muzzle between shots to settle the powder in a consistent position. It works. Might help the LR versions too... Maybe.

Last thing on this is sound levels. I happen to have a sound meter and ran some tests on CB S/L and CCI SV from several guns a few years ago. The CB ammo ran from about 80-85 Dba in various barrel lengths and the SV ammo was very consistent in a 26" barrel at about 88-89 Dba. The meter was 10' from the muzzle perpendicular to the bore. FYI 55 Dba is what you hear in normal conversation. If you wife is always angry it might be around 90 Dba or higher.

I am..........disturbed.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
.....If your wife is always angry it might be around 90 Dba or higher.

I definitely understand that sentiment! grin

Great comments. And tilting the muzzle 'UP' to strive for some consistency is a good suggestion.

Last edited by StubbleDuck; 03/14/12.
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
A card wad like this...

http://www.jamescalhoon.com/

Sorry, cant get a link to the page, go to articles and then towards the bottom there is one on snake loads. Would be interesting in a 45-70 case full of #6s.

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Pretty much...

[Linked Image]

I am..........disturbed.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Had a big ground squirrel problem at work a few years ago that poison would not completely cure.

A 28" barreled Winchester 52B with CCI CB Longs was the answer.

Screen taken off of my office window and rifle stashed behind the fax machine table. Secretary in front office never even heard the firing pin click when my door was open, accuracy was minute of squirrel and thumped them good to about 25 yards. Absolutely no noise. Same loads in a 23 inch barrel sounds a lot like a kid firing a cap gun.

Going to try the new quiet loads and see how they measure up in the 52.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
in a longer barrel 22 they will be alot more quiet, theres a big difference between the noise out of my 18" youth 581 and my 24" 581 with these loads and out of the 28" 52 it would be next to non

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Live near Eugene, Or.

Anyone find the CCI quiet 22 around here???

Been looking, but haven't found any yet.

Thanks! Virgil B.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by deflave
Colibri's are wicked. I love 'em.

Travis

LOL
Maybe for a lizard.

The end of democracy, and the defeat of the American Revolution will occur when government falls into the hands of lending institutions and moneyed incorporations.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by vbshootinrange
Live near Eugene, Or. Anyone find the CCI quiet 22 around here? Been looking, but haven't found any yet. Thanks! Virgil B.

I live north of Seattle, quite a ways away from the Oregon border.

Went looking for some yesterday; bought 3 bricks from Kesselring's for $35 apiece; haven't tried them yet.

In another gun shop I checked first, the greedy bisturds were charging $49.95 per brick of 500! Soon as I saw what they wanted, spun on my heels and promptly left.

I won't subsidize greed with my patronage. wink Crazy thing is that same shop charged me $20/brick for CCI .22LR Std Velocity only a year ago!

MidwayUSA listed Quiet-22 brick's for $27-$28 (plus shipping).

And Lewiston, ID isn't that much further from Portland than Seattle.

My suggestion Virgil is to keep looking, esp at your best ma & pa gun stores, but also armed with a little knowledge on prices! If you're charged more than $3.50/box of fifty or $35/brick, you're being hosed! cool

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Midway was back ordered, so I ordered a brick from cheaper than dirt.

$ 41. delivered to Oregon.

Can't wait to try these out in my CZ Scout!

Virgil B.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I couldn't get them to shoot with any consistency out of my Kimber K22. The groups, from a bench, were about 4-8" lower than the CCI Match ammo that I had been using. They were very quiet out of a 22" barrel, but I can't see using them for much.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by TomSmith
I couldn't get them to shoot with any consistency out of my Kimber K22. The groups, from a bench, were about 4-8" lower than the CCI Match ammo that I had been using. They were very quiet out of a 22" barrel, but I can't see using them for much.

Try the Remington CBEE's! They have a LR configuration/length, etc., but generate 740fps with a 33grain bullet.

Also if necessary try the CCI Target 'Short' round. It operates at @830 fps with a 29 grain round lead bullet, if you don't mind a .22short round. smirk

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
C'mon Steelie--we need the report! You're not doing much else important......

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
shot some out of my Sako finnfire with a lilja barrel and they shot about 6" low but did get a 1/2" group at 50 yards

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My brick of CCI Quiet 22 came in yesterday.

Will testfire it this week-end in my CZ Scout. If it won't "shoot" in it, I'll try it in my Weatherby MK XX11.

If it won't shoot in either of these, I'll try 'em in my Winchester 67.

Virgil B.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Testfired the CCI Quiet 22 in my CZ Scout.

Got 1/2" to 7/8" groups for an average of about 3/4" at 30 yards.

This isn't going to cut it, since this gun will shoot 1/4" with ammo it likes.

Will try it in my Weatherby and Winchester 67 today.

If anyone is interested there's a 24 page thred over on Rimfire Centeral on the CCI Quiet 22.

Virgil B.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
If anyone is interested there's a 24 page thred over on Rimfire Centeral on the CCI Quiet 22.

Excellent!

Looking forward to your further range reports. cool

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Shot the CCI Quiet 22 in my Weatherby and Winchester 67.

Got two 3/4" groups at 30 yards with the Weatherby. This ain't cuttin it either,

Got 1-1/2" for my old Winchester 67 with open sights. Guss this ammo will be regulated to it.

Oh well, I live in the country and don't really need to be quiet! (grin!) Was just wanting to have quiet ammo for early morning shots on varmits without being heard.

Virgil B.

E
EWY Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
3/4" isn't too bad for "backyard" distances. I have some Rem CeeBee that I should accuracy test, even though they don't seem all that quiet to me.

Ernie

George Washington - �Labour to keep alive in your breast that little spark of celestial fire,�conscience.�

God save the Republic
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I'd be happy with 3/4" at 30yds, that is much better than any of the CBs I've tried in various rifles.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
bump to get a report...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just bought 4 boxes ... will givem a run outta my 39A's ... one new one older Mountie.

George
Associate Gypsy

Originally Posted by GOD
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Sensing a loss of enthusiasm in the crowd.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by tjm10025

Sensing a loss of enthusiasm in the crowd.

Heard Obama wants to ban them ....

(That should re-invigorate the natives) smile smile

George
Associate Gypsy

Originally Posted by GOD
RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A few reports on accuracy but I was hoping for reports on the sound, (they are labeled *Quiet-22* after all) compared to CB short that do not feed from the clip in my Cooper.

CB's are probably 1.5" at 30 yards in my rifles but that is more than sufficient for a backyard varmint round.

I would use Quiet-22 if they will feed from a clip even if they are marginally louder, and they should be with a heavier bullet at almost the same velocity as a CB short.

I also posted a report on Winchester CB Longs that I found recently, they have similar specs to the Quiet-22 and received a 131 views but 0 feedback. And this thread is up to 10 pages. Maybe rimfire is just a dead topic.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...mo_Test_CCI_CB_s_vs_Win_Supe#Post6277163

Last edited by RDW; 04/25/12.

Dave

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
any feild test updates on these? bump...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Interesting. For small game and 'quiet' - a good airgun is a good investment. Even a simple cheap Daisy Powerline can do very well, esp. w/a good scope and good pellets.

I agree w/Scott - never had good luck w/Rem Rimfire ammo.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
any feild test updates on these? bump...
I've shot them once at the range, but don't have any memorable accuracy results. They will feed from the magazine in my 10/22 (manually) and my Anschutz. IIRC, they will not cycle the 10/22, even with the assisted blowback of a suppressor. I do remember that POI was noticeably lower at 25yds vs my usual subsonic loads in both rifles.
In the unsuppressed Anschutz they are noticeably louder than CBs, but not as loud as most subsonic rounds (Remington/Winchester or CCI). No surprise there. I'll test them for 25-30yd accuracy in the Anschutz. Unless they're more accurate at distance than the 10/22 is suppressed (unlikely), I probably won't bother getting any more of them.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I got 1/2" and under groups @ 50 yards out of my sako funnfire with lilja barrel but they wont kill that well out at that yardage, my Benjamin Marauder 25 cal kills better out at 50 yards than the quite 22's do and its alot more quieter

Last edited by gemby58; 05/08/12.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
what have you tested them on?

George
Associate Gypsy

Originally Posted by GOD
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
On what did you test them??

George
Associate Gypsy

Originally Posted by GOD
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 65BR
Interesting. For small game and 'quiet' - a good airgun is a good investment.

That might be the case for some, but I had an RWS Diana. HATED the thing, can't say it was loud but however it sounded hurt my ears enough I needed plugs in order to shoot it.

One of these days I'm going to order one of those 28" barrels for a 10/22. Even reg. ammo should be fairly quiet out of one of those?

Life is just one damned thing after another
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I got 1/2" and under groups @ 50 yards out of my sako funnfire with lilja barrel but they wont kill that well out at that yardage, my Benjamin Marauder 25 cal kills better out at 50 yards than the quite 22's do and its alot more quieter

They probably kill better than CB shorts is my guess.

I am..........disturbed.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S

They probably kill better than CB shorts is my guess.

wink

The end of democracy, and the defeat of the American Revolution will occur when government falls into the hands of lending institutions and moneyed incorporations.
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
If anyone's interested, Palmetto State Armory has some in stock for $2.49 a box. Oh, and they have a free shipping offer that ends today (Monday)!!!

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Finally got to shoot my new [year old] cz 22lr style -it has been bedded and a brookies trigger installed.
Scope is a vortex crossfire 4x $55 [thanks Doug] rings are burris signature series .
I centered the scope with a method i read about -by spinning the scope around in the rings and turning the turrets until the crosshair didn't move off center.
First shot at thirty yards hit 1/2" high and 1/4" left -now that put a smile on my face.
Not saying the centering of the scope did that or anything -just that i got so lucky as to hit the orange dot first shot.
Anyway the cci quiet shot very well out of the cz ---going to buy a case or three.
Very quiet to -i would forget to push my earplugs in after having shot a five shot string.
Tried them at 80yds and they didn't hold up out that far for me w/the 4x scope 2" ? -still could whack a crow or pidgeon with them at that range.
I'm going to do a lot of crow whacking with this set up starting in august -it'll add to my scouting fun.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (1eyedmule, 10ring1, 1minute, 1234, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 54 invisible), 2,276 guests, and 1,231 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,411
Posts18,507,124
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.