Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Last week my FN Five-Seven blew up causing severe damage to my left hand (I am right handed). There are 6-8 pieces of shrapnel deep in my thumb and palm area which severed the nerves to my thumb and a portion of my palm. Surgery is required in an attempt to repair the hand by harvesting tissue from my leg. Wish me luck.

The �explosion� occurred on the last round of a 30 round mag loaded with the factory 40gr v-max stuff. On this particular day I only had three loaded magazines (70 rounds total) with me for the Five-Seven but had several other handguns to shoot after the Five-Seven. I began with a 20 round mag loaded with hand loads, then a 20 round mag loaded with factory ammo and finished with the 30 round mag with factory ammo. It was the very last round of 5.7x28 in my immediate possession that ruined my day ��. and a whole lot more!!

I have fired (600-700 rounds) both factory and hand loads through the pistol with zero issues since purchasing new in 2/2011. There are reports of the Five-Seven firing out of battery (OOB) which appears to be the case here but I am no weapons forensics expert. I am not a novice to shooting, handguns or reloading and have 20+ years of extensive experience with shooting and reloading.

I have been completely straightforward with FNH (i.e. Browning) so will now wait and see how they respond.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

GB1

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Well this should start a defecation blizzard around the Campfire!!

Sorry to hear about your injury but glad that it wasn't worse, Fair Chase.

The blindness from subjectivity is indistinguishable from the darkness of ignorance.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I wish you the best of luck on your recovery. I can also tell you, coming from someone that has blown up a few guns myself, you will never be able to approach a gun that you are going to shoot without the thought of what just happened to you.

My best regards...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I, too am SO Sorry that his happened to you. If it were me, the whole story would have come from a redacted version from a personal injury attorney,period. I have tried to play nice nice a couple of times with auto insurers and got screwed each time. No more.

Please do keep us posted on your injuries and recovery!

Also, please put this in the general campfire here so that mroe people see it and read it.

I have been wanting one of these but could only afford the poor mans version so far i.e. the PMR30. Some of the early PMR30's had top strap failures early on but Kel Tech fixed the problems and even if one did come unglued no serious injuries have been reported as the operating pressures of 22WMR ammo are a LOT lower than those of the 5.7 round.

Wow, this is quite the KaBoom, amigo. I really do hope you get full use of your off hand back with no residual issues, as well as some real spending cash form FN for your pain and hardships.

MARK

PS Don't let them give you an A-Bolt as part of a settelment smile

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

My gawd!

Glad you didn't take any shrapnel to the eyes.

- Tom

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Hope you get a complete recovery.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Wow, that's awful. I'm glad you weren't hurt worse. Let us know how this one turns out, I'm anxious to hear. What is the precedent in an incident like this? Can you hold FN liable?

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
This was factory ammo that detonated?

O

Too old to suffer fools
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I hope it works out but if you were using ammo you handloaded they are probably off the hook? I hope thats not the case. I hope you make a full recovery.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Holy Schit!

Hope your hand will be able to mend well.

Those little rounds operate at around 50K psi. you can see the destruction of the pistol is a lot more dramatic than typical KBs from mainstream handgun fodder (9mm, 40, 45, etc.)

IC B3

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I wonder if the added weight of that optical sight changed the operating dynamics?

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Best wishes on your recovery.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
Best wishes on your recovery.
+1

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Wishing you a full and speedy recovery with the best possible outcome

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by OUTCAST

O

I sincerely hope you regain full use of your left hand.

With that said, was it a reload or factory ammo that caused the catastrophic failure?

Additionally, I would most definitely let an attorney do ANY further communicating with Browning.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by shrapnel
I wish you the best of luck on your recovery. I can also tell you, coming from someone that has blown up a few guns myself, you will never be able to approach a gun that you are going to shoot without the thought of what just happened to you.

My best regards...

It will be interesting. Probably start with the P22 :-)

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Sorry to hear about your injury but boy did the sucker blow up.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by safariman
I, too am SO Sorry that his happened to you. If it were me, the whole story would have come from a redacted version from a personal injury attorney,period. I have tried to play nice nice a couple of times with auto insurers and got screwed each time. No more.

Please do keep us posted on your injuries and recovery!

Also, please put this in the general campfire here so that mroe people see it and read it.

I have been wanting one of these but could only afford the poor mans version so far i.e. the PMR30. Some of the early PMR30's had top strap failures early on but Kel Tech fixed the problems and even if one did come unglued no serious injuries have been reported as the operating pressures of 22WMR ammo are a LOT lower than those of the 5.7 round.

Wow, this is quite the KaBoom, amigo. I really do hope you get full use of your off hand back with no residual issues, as well as some real spending cash form FN for your pain and hardships.

MARK

PS Don't let them give you an A-Bolt as part of a settelment smile

Thanks Mark. I will probably regret not starting with an injury lawyer but I still hope for the best in people. I also have a PMR30 that suffered a case rupture but that was a mosquito fart compared to this. Kel-Tec has gone through a few revisions with the PMR30 and I think they finally have it corrected. I really liked my Five-Seven and was sad to see its destruction. That will be one gun I will never forget even if I tried.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by OUTCAST

O

A factory round was the last round the pistol fired.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
I wonder if the added weight of that optical sight changed the operating dynamics?

The Burris FF II was on the pistol since day one and the pistol operated fine up to this point.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

553 members (1234, 10Glocks, 1minute, 16penny, 10gaugeman, 153, 71 invisible), 2,357 guests, and 1,256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,535
Posts18,472,769
Members73,939
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.