Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Last week my FN Five-Seven blew up causing severe damage to my left hand (I am right handed). There are 6-8 pieces of shrapnel deep in my thumb and palm area which severed the nerves to my thumb and a portion of my palm. Surgery is required in an attempt to repair the hand by harvesting tissue from my leg. Wish me luck.

The �explosion� occurred on the last round of a 30 round mag loaded with the factory 40gr v-max stuff. On this particular day I only had three loaded magazines (70 rounds total) with me for the Five-Seven but had several other handguns to shoot after the Five-Seven. I began with a 20 round mag loaded with hand loads, then a 20 round mag loaded with factory ammo and finished with the 30 round mag with factory ammo. It was the very last round of 5.7x28 in my immediate possession that ruined my day ��. and a whole lot more!!

I have fired (600-700 rounds) both factory and hand loads through the pistol with zero issues since purchasing new in 2/2011. There are reports of the Five-Seven firing out of battery (OOB) which appears to be the case here but I am no weapons forensics expert. I am not a novice to shooting, handguns or reloading and have 20+ years of extensive experience with shooting and reloading.

I have been completely straightforward with FNH (i.e. Browning) so will now wait and see how they respond.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
A
I'm very sorry to hear about your accident! It DOES look like it fired out of battery, doesn't it!

I hope you can get your hand fully functional again.
I will certainly keep you in my prayers.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I am sorry and will pray for healing. Let us know the outcome. I would guess lawyers at FN are discussing this as well.

ddj

Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back. - Robert Ruark
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
dang....hope your hand repairs OK. nasty looking wreckage.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Wow! Sorry to hear that. Hope you heal quickly!

Thanks for posting this.

Travis

IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Holy Crap!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What Travis said.

Dang....

Golldammed motion detector lights. A guy can’t even piss off his porch in peace any more.

"Look, I want to help the helpless. It's the clueless I don't give a [bleep] about." - Dennis Miller on obamacare.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Damn.

A government is the most dangerous threat to man�s rights: it holds a legal monopoly on the use of physical force against legally disarmed victims.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I bet they blame it on your handloads before it is all over

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Ouch, I hope surgery goes perfectly and you get that hand fully functional again. Docs can do amazing stuff nowadays, praying this is one of them.

It sucks in a major way that it happened at all, but at least it happened with factory ammo. Hope Browning/FNH mans up on this and covers your expenses at a minimum.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
IC B3

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I think I would have a flinch if I ever shot one of those again (which I wouldn't). Hope you have a full recovery!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good gawd man! Best of luck in getting that hand back to normal.
Glad it wasn't worse.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
that goes without saying....and will probably point you to some fine print in the manual that says the warranty is blown if you shoot handloads. fortunately, you can't waive the implied warranty of fitness....but the fact that handloads were admittedly used in the pistol at some point will make the case more difficult for the plaintiff.

on the other hand, maybe FN will want to get it quietly settled, particularly if they know you will be keeping tens of thousands of their potential customers posted on the progress of your claim.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Wow!
I hope you make a good recovery.
Having firearms blow up is not fun.
I had a sxs blow up on me 5 years ago but fortunately I only ended up with a small thumb injury.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Oh man! That hurts to just look at it. Wishing you the best recovery and fair treatment by the manufacture. Please keep us updated on this.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
If you have a lawyer, he probably isn't too happy you posted about using handloads on an Internet forum. If you don't have one, maybe you should have talked to him before you did.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I do think it would be wise to edit that part of the OP.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
From a quick glance around the internet, the first thing they'll say is for you to send the handgun to them - at which point they will destroy it.

Time to figure out if you want to sue is BEFORE you send it in. Looks like they'll just replace it for free, at best. Get an inspection done on it by a competent third party before shipping it to them is my suggestion.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
he's going to be asked the question under oath, so it really doesn't matter. I don't think he's planning to commit perjury when he's asked.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sucks,..Hope you get full use of your hand back. Glad you're okay and didn't lose an eye or something more important.

Not sure what FN will do,..pleas keep us posted.

Originally Posted by Steve_NO
..and will probably point you to some fine print in the manual that says the warranty is blown if you shoot handloads. fortunately, you can't waive the implied warranty of fitness....but the fact that handloads were admittedly used in the pistol at some point will make the case more difficult for the plaintiff.

I reload myself and have "voided" the warranty on just about everything I own because of it..

FN spells out their dislike on Page 3 in the manual....

Hope this turns out for the best..

Interesting how they lump reloading in with criminal intent...

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Deerwhacker444; 02/21/12.
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

459 members (12savage, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10ring1, 48 invisible), 2,245 guests, and 1,127 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,859
Posts18,497,125
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.