-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 12 of 20 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 19 20
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Tight choked Italian O/U with OO Buck. It was brutal!
A close second was an Ithaca Deerslayer with a 20-inch rifled barrel with sabot slugs. It shot just under 2 inches (center to center) at 100 yards though.

HR IC

F
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by cotis
Damn this thread is funny!

My worst is actually an innocent looking sub-nose rovolver. A 10oz scandium frame titanium cylinder S&W .357 shooting full load 125g Federal Hydroshoks. My buddy and I have cleared many a gun range popping off that monster. Most I have gone is five rounds with a bloody web and a serious flinch after the first round.

There was a guy in my CCW class who showed up with one of those, & the instructors started teasing him immediately - as in, the day before we had to qualify. He didn't finish his first round of shooting before he begged them to let him trade-out for his 9mm. They were most gracious, and allowed it.

I have a buddy who had a small-frame S&W .357 with small wooden grips. Quite pretty, they were, but the edges were squared-off enough that they cut the crap out of my hands after only 3 rounds.

Even a properly weighted handgun can't overcome tons of powder. I fired 2 rounds from a guy's Desert Eagle, & handed it back to him. I hit exactly where I was aiming, but my hands, wrists, elbows, arms, and shoulders were shaking, and I think I may have had a small "kiss" from the hammer... in my forehead...

FC

Last edited by Folically_Challenged; 02/22/12.

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I shot a 454 Casull revolver just once and it gave me a headache from the shock wave.

Sherwood

FIRE UP THE GRILL - is NOT catch and release!
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Ruger No. 3 in .45-70 open sights w/stiff loads. Not far behind was a Winchester high wall Legacy, same caliber, with that dumb crescent butt and the Lyman tang sight. It was accurate but the pain was not worth the effort. Ithica Deerslayers with heavy buckshot loads were not fun either. jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
STA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Marlin Model 917 in 17HMR... Three shots off the bench is all I could do. The shear recoil from that gun would shake the ground under your feet. After that the gun club band the 17HMR from ever being shot there again..... smile

randy..
IC B2

K
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
[Linked Image]
This 7 3/4 # 458 Win mag shooting 510 gr. soft points. Not much fun.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Shooting prone, downhill and the heel of the pad slipped off my shoulder and under my armpit. The scope came back and bit my forehead and nose. The damage wasn't too severe because it was spread out over a wide area!

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Did exactly the same thing as 280fan, only shooting uphill, and the rifle was a .25-06. Sharp edge on the scope cap drew enough blood for such a little rifle though!

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by wahunterinrok
The other is my Cabela's Hawken with some great plains bullets and a stout charge of BP, that thing smacks the heck out of my cheek bone!

I concur! I have the same gun and the same results. Must be a goofy stock design or something because you feel like you have been punched in the cheek after a few rounds.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Bosses Ruger #1 Tropical in .458 Lott. No muzzle break. He sent it to the range to have them sight it in and they sent it back after a few shots. Macho me shot it a couple of times from the bench and it kicked me right square in the bewtocks. Cut my eye on the third shot and I gave up. Might be ok if a Cape Buffalo were charging and I was standing up. I would have to be a semi-automatic in that case.

"That God could and would, if He were sought."
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Originally Posted by firearms44
I'll add 1 more : T/C Encore 12ga Rifled slug barrel. Brought it to the range to sight it in for my slug only town. Remington Buckhammer fired 1 time and it cracked my synthetic stock right at the pistol grip. Pinch my hand when the crack closed. T/C gave me another stock for free and I sold the Buckhammers. That Hurt !!!!!

Ken

I have not found any slug to equal the recoil of a Buckhammer.

Ever tried the original 3" Brenneke full sized 12 gauge load. 1 1/4 oz. of pure love there!!

Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool !!

"Keep your booger hook off the bang switch until your sights are on the target".

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My ALMOST worse experience:
I was doing range officer duty at the local club. A member showed up with a new .458 Lott which he was very proud of. He offered to let me shoot it after he had it "dialed in." I watched him shoot it at the bench - at each shot his shoulder looked as if it was trying to jump backward right out of it's socket and he'd practically fall out of the stool. You could just about hear his teeth rattle inside his head. He'd compose himself and get settled back into place after each shot. To his credit, he touched off about 8 or 9 rounds. After that he turned to me to give me a chance to shoot it. I said, "No, thanks." My IQ is low enough to risk having my brains scrambled any more than they already are.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Tom264
Harrington & Richardson single shot 12 gauge 3" magnum with 2 oz turkey loads.. I'll put it up with any of the above.
Add another victim to the Harrington & Richard 12 gauge. My 300 win was easier to shoot, my 338 was easier to shoot, my 375 was easier to shoot. my marlin 45-70 was easier to shoot. my 416 rigby was easier to shoot. my 458 lott was easier to shoot. The only way I could shoot that shotgun was to fold up a hand towel and rubber band it around the butt stock giving 3 inches of padding.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
.577NE was pretty bad. I only shot it once and it darn near put me on my butt.
Freedom Arms .475 Linebaugh cut the crud out of my trigger finger. My uncle saw it and said "weird, it's never done that to me" Then he shot it for the first time without gloves and it did the same to him. I'm pretty sure he had some edges rounded out after that.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by fyshbum
A sadistic H+R single shot 12 gauge shotgun,

if you're shooting it, your a Masochist, just saying.

Shot heavy handloads in an 80's vintage Winne Featerweight 270 that would make you wince a bit too

Psalm 19:14-May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.
_
Humble servant of Jesus Christ. Living His plan and praying to show it in name, word, body, and light.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
'Nother H&R victim! Mine was into the test bbl @ the gun shop where I worked. A 3.5" model with a pretty laminated english stock. 2 1/4oz turkey loads. My right hand went numb for about 30min.

On the rifle side I shot a Wby Euromark in 416Wby and no brake off-hand. That's too much for me to do with any regularity and I'd hate to be the SOB that would actually have to sight that thing in. The same rifle in 378Wby (again no brake) was just about the same amount of "suck" to shoot.

Factory loaded 340Wby in a sporter weight MK V is about my recoil limit, and I don't enjoy it at all.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I have had two experiences that I will never forget:

First was a Ruger M77 in 458 Win Mag no muzzle brake, not sure what the ammo was, but I shot 2 shots from a bench. My shoulder was black and blue for about a week and a half.

Second was a 460 Weatherby in a Mark V rifle no brake, one shot off the bed of a truck and that was enough for me.

I shot a 375 H&H and yes it hurt but not as much as the two listed above. I shoot a 300 Win, 338 Win, and a 270 Weatherby consistently with no complaints.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have an H&R 10 ga. with 2 1/4 oz. of shot from a 3 1/2" shell. That gun will HURT YOU.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Herein lies proof of a ruffed grouse nut. I was walking up to a clup of alder when two grouse flushed. The front bead ligned up before he gun engaged my shoulder and I squeezed the trigger. It is the only time I have been butt stroked on my chin by a twelve ga full brass. I do not recommend it. I did retrieve the grouse and it was a head neck shot. Unfortunately it was witnessed and the event was used as an object lesson the next days church service.

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Mine goes along with getting "scoped" for the first time. Went to sight in a scoped 12 guage with 3" slugs. Gun was new to me and I put on a 4 power scope with not much eye relef. I had no place to rest the gun so I layed down, facing forward, on the knoll of a small hill and shot at a target on the other side of the hill. Laying prone with a 12 guage, short eye relief scope is not a good idea. I did not have the gun securely locked into my shoulder and when I fired, the scope smacked the heck out of my forehead. It broke my glasses and sliced a nice 1/4 circle right between my eyes. Before I realized what happened, I had blood dripping down my nose. One of many lessons learned as a young hunter. One I won't soon forget. crazy

Page 12 of 20 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 19 20

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

546 members (1badf350, 1minute, 219 Wasp, 222Sako, 007FJ, 1_deuce, 58 invisible), 2,340 guests, and 1,233 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,032
Posts18,500,580
Members73,986
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.