Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I just unwrapped my new Model 70 Extreme Weather in 300 WSM, and I thought I'd share my impressions. It's my first Model 70, so take my remarks for what they're worth. This gun is impressive -- and I'm not easily impressed.

The balance is right, the fit and finish are excellent, and the machining on the bolt assembly and receiver are superb. Aside from about a pound too much pull weight, the trigger is flawless. Here's the biggie to me: The comb of the stock sits much closer to the centerline of the bore than I expected, so a 40-44mm scope ought to sit very close to the eye in low rings. Oh, and it's got a real (not plastic) stock. What's more, the stock is floated and properly rigid along its length.

I have several Remingtons, and all but one shoots very well. I will say without a doubt, however, that this EW is a much nicer rifle (from the box) than any of my Remingtons, and that includes my Senderos. We'll see how she shoots, but, if this is what FN is sending out the door, the other brands are in big trouble.

Chris
GB1

805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Richard How do you like the grip on the stock? I have heard many people saying it is somewhat big and awkward. What are your thoughts vs the sendero II?

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
It's nothing like the HS stock on the Sendero II. I'd say it's closer to the original Sendero if you were to insist on that comparison. The Winchester stock (Bell & Carlson) has nowhere near the palm swell (or the down angle) of the Sendero II. It's not bulky or big, but it's also not slender or "slight." I have average sized hands.

I am a flat-out stock SNOB and replace most of the ones that come from the factory, but this one is well designed. It's not a "tactical" stock, but it's a damned fine hunting stock, and they paid attention to the details. The high comb is the best part and not what I've come to expect from a factory specimen. It's got a narrow forearm, which helps with the balance and overall weight.

Chris
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I'm interested to see what kind of groups you get I want one bad

Tater
R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I'm excited to hear you are pleased with this new gun. I've been contemplating this rifle or the ultimate shadow ss. The old guys have said don't buy because it's not a Winchester any more! Haven't handled one yet. I was wondering about fit and finish. Best of luck with it.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm one that thinks the wrist area is slightly to thick. That said, fit and finish are great and it slings them were I need them on the .25-06 I have. The bedding is well done and its a tight fit.

Last edited by AKduck; 02/23/12.

Yup.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by AKduck
I'm one that thinks the wrist area is slightly to thick. That said, fit and finish are great and it slings them were I need them on the .25-06 I have. The bedding is well done and its a tight fit.

I guess it depends on your hands. I'm one who thinks that the wrists on some lightweight rifles are too dainty, but it's all personal preference. This one is no thicker than my Cooper, or my Sako 85, and it's less thick than a couple of my Weatherbys. I like it.

Chris
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Glad it fits you well. Thats what really matters. Compared to my other rifles it feels a little thick to me. But then again I like thin wrists. I dont have a Cooper or Sako, but my Kimbers and Rugers seem to have thinner wrists than the Winchester.

Enjoy the rifle. I like mine.

Yup.
TDN Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I too like the new EW wrists - I was a big fan of how that stock fit when I had one. It was a short action, heard somewhere the LA ones fit a bit different...(?)

"You know why nobody panic buys 30-06 ammo? ... Because men with 30-06's don't panic"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like more drop at the comb than this stock has. It rides too hIgh on my shoulder when I line everything up, not a deal killer but high combs are more difficult for me to shoot.

JM

IC B3

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
I like the new EW's except for the 2x4 stud of a stock they mount the action in, it's thick, bulky and slick to boot, I have Sako 85 rifles and and have had several Weatherby's over the years and comparing the new EW grip to these and saying they are nearly the same leads Me to believe that Winchester has addressed this bulkiness with B&C and it has been corrected, I will need to handle one of the later versions and see for Myself as I haven't had one in hand in over a year.....I hope they did address this issue, I might like to try an Extreme Weather chambered in .300 WSM ....................Hb

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I love mine after changing a few things about it.... whistle

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
I like the new EW's except for the 2x4 stud of a stock they mount the action in, it's thick, bulky and slick to boot, I have Sako 85 rifles and and have had several Weatherby's over the years and comparing the new EW grip to these and saying they are nearly the same leads Me to believe that Winchester has addressed this bulkiness with B&C and it has been corrected, I will need to handle one of the later versions and see for Myself as I haven't had one in hand in over a year.....I hope they did address this issue, I might like to try an Extreme Weather chambered in .300 WSM ....................Hb

If they've made a change to the stock, then I must have one of the new ones. There's nothing thick or bulky about this stock. Of course, I have 3-4 other B&C Medalists, so maybe I'm just used to them.

Chris
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I haven't read or heard any such change has been made.

If someone has a link please post it.

Thanks

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
I love mine after changing a few things about it.... whistle

How much weight did you lose when you changed the stock?? You put it in an Edge, correct?

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
The first thing I did was replace that god awful stock with an Edge. Lost a half pound on my 308 and the gun balances and carries much better. I cannot tell any difference between the long and short action stocks.

The B&C stock is a step up over most plastic factory stocks, but still not a good stock in my opinion. Too heavy and chunky for a standard weight hunting rifle. They are about right on a varmit or tactical rig where you want a little heft. I'd say they are an improvement over a HS stock, and sell for a lot less. If you've been using a HS I can see where you'd think it is a better stock.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JMR40
The first thing I did was replace that god awful stock with an Edge. Lost a half pound on my 308 and the gun balances and carries much better. I cannot tell any difference between the long and short action stocks.

The B&C stock is a step up over most plastic factory stocks, but still not a good stock in my opinion. Too heavy and chunky for a standard weight hunting rifle. They are about right on a varmit or tactical rig where you want a little heft. I'd say they are an improvement over a HS stock, and sell for a lot less. If you've been using a HS I can see where you'd think it is a better stock.

JMR40, we're going to have to disagree on a couple of things. I have 4 B&C Medalists, and I have 4 HS Precision stocks. Every one of my HS stocks are heavier than every Medalist I own. Having said that, the HS stocks are HANDS DOWN better quality stocks. They're more rigid, more stable, more everything (including more weight). I'm also not understanding this claim that the EW stock is big and clunky. I'm wondering just how many rifles some of you have had your hands on, but the stock on the EW that I just got isn't remotely big or clunky??

Chris
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I think the EW stock is a bit bulkier than some I've had but I don't find it objectionable. If you want to see dainty, buy a Ruger Hawkeye in an UL configuration. The pistol grip is too small for my hands - and I have average size hands. My buddy (6'5") can't get his whole hand on the pistol grip.

I also have a couple SS M70's with Edges and I do prefer the Edge to the EW/B&C stock but I really like the way the B&C balances on the EW. I had a lightweight 300 and it wasn't that fun to shoot. My EW in 300 WSM weighs less than 8lbs all up and feels good in the hand. I think in a smaller caliber, the rifle may feel a bit bulky. I like the new EW in the WSM's alot.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Yeah, let's be clear...anything produced by McMillan is going to outshine the factory B&C (or anything else for that matter). I agree.

Chris
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm trying to figure out why they are calling it extreme weather ? Synthetic and stainless qualifies it for that? They had that in the SS clasics they had. I could see if they had a factory cerakote job on it but according to what I have read it does not . Did I miss something?

I Kill Things......deal with it..
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

170 members (160user, 69sportfury, 2500HD, 01Foreman400, 300s, 2UP, 12 invisible), 1,703 guests, and 981 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,625
Posts18,474,094
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.