Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
I am now in the market for a new pack. I am sure I will be buying a Mystery Ranch and I have been looking at the Bighorn. Does anyone have any experience with this pack? Good or bad! I'm concerned it does not have enough org pockets but I like the stick it pocket and the new x frame that can handle a heavier load.

Also, does anyone have the scoop on the different waist belt sizes from MR? When they say a medium will fit up to a 38" waist does that mean the length of the belt or is it referring to the size of the padding on the belt.

GB1

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I bought one of the new redesigned ones last year (may have been the first one sold even) and hunted with it exclusively last fall. I absolutely loved the pack. The pockets add up to one in the "top lid", two small zippered mesh pockets on the inside, and two unzippered long pockets on the inside. The stick it worked well for quickly storing a jacket or other small load in my use. I also used it for packing out a front quarter and some trim meat on a spike elk last fall with no problems at all.

As for belt sizing I believe you'll end up with a bit different sized pads as well as different belt length. I swapped out the ones on my NICE frame, but am not able to find my olds ones at the moment to compare.

Last edited by TheTone; 02/23/12.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have one of the Big Horns that has the water bottle pockets. It can handle a 45 pound load with ease. I don't even know I'm wearing it. I would love to see how the redesigned pack carries. The only time I had some discomfort was when I had my daughter in the stik it pocket. She was too far back from my center of gravity and in turn was pulling the shoulder straps into me. I had too much little stuff in the main pack to put in the stik it.

As for the waist band it's just the size of the padding. I have a small and there is about a foot of extra webbing coming from the front of each pad. From what I have seen with my pack and emailing MR the size just has to do with the size of the padding.

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Is there enough room to do a 2-3 night, weekend hunt trip out of it?

Last edited by BATTLEBORN; 02/23/12.
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I would think it would be possible with the right gear. I know there are guys doing it with smaller packs. If you got something down it would for sure take multiple trips to get your game and gear back out.

IC B2

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
It would be pretty tight, IMO and MR offers another option in their "Glacier" pack, if you want the lightest possible internal for 2-3 night trips.

I have now owned and used a dozen+ Dana Design-Bozeman and MR packs since 1978 and, after a LOT of careful thought, I just decided against the Bighorn, Trance or Glacier I was considering and bought a Wolf Alpha bag with two RipZips to go on my old original NICE frame for 1-3 day trips, these are usually solo.

This IS a heavier alternative, however, one can carry a light camp and still pack out a boned deer in one trip. That, to me, was the deciding factor.

I also have a fully rigged NICE OK-6500 pack, so, the above works very well, for me, as my hunting "daypack" and will handle the sort of trips that you envision. Just s suggestion.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
After two years very happy with my Bighorn. I wanted "a pack for everything" I know, but I'm not a gear head. I have packed in a six day camp, 7 miles with a 4K+ gain, no problems other than too much weight, too much climb, no matter what the pack. Fine for overnights and 3 day, Big Agnes bag and pad, bivi-sac, freeze dry, etc about 30 to 40 pounds, fine. I use it as a hunting day pack, works very well, extremely comfortable, did pack out a small antelope boned out about 2 miles, about 70 pounds, no problems. The kick out works fine for deer or elk head, backstaps and such inside a garbage bag along with all your gear. If you need a bigger pack to carry your stuff, get less stuff or a horse...just my thoughts.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
It's a good pack for 2-3 days depending on your gear, the weather, and where you are. I bought my Big Horn since it will cover most of my needs (days, warm weather overnighters) until I can get a larger pack to go with it. In the summer I think it would be no problem for 2-3 days but in the winter when you're having to carry heavier, bulkier gear I think it would be better as a day bag maybe an over night bag. However I'm often alone so I tend to carry more gear for safety reasons so if hurt I can stay out until help shows up.
Growing up in the northeast my friends and I used to be able to pull 2 night 3 day trips off with each of us carrying an 1800 cubic inch pack.

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
This is looking more and more like the pack for me. I'm going to continue to look to buy a used one but might have to buy new as it is very difficult to find people who want to sell used. Great feedback, keep it coming.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
BB, I really like my '09 Bighorn. Perfect for day hunts around here, 1 lope and 2 mule deer on the flats so far. Very good quality.

Did they drop the side pockets/pouches on the new version?

Last edited by SamOlson; 02/26/12.
IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Sam they beefed up the suspension on the new versions and got rid of the side pockets. I'd like to try one with the beefed up suspension but I'd miss the water bottle pocket.
They also moved the compression straps around and they will now fit MR's RipZips and Long Pockets.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
The side pockets are handy. Spotter and tripod.

The packs are worth the price, buy one and it will last most people a lifetime.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had a Dragonslayer (first version) and sold it and now bought a Bighorn. One thing I WISH it had was the side pockets. I also really liked being able to tuck the waistband into the pack rather than just strap it along side.

In any event, the pack is great and cant wait to put it through its paces this spring...

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I just added my own side pocket to the belt. Bought an aftermarket pocket and attached it on one side and my laser case to the other side. Works great.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
BB,

Over the years I've owned my share of packs. The Bighorn is a great all around pack, very close to a do-all, IMO.

Im currently running the Dragon Slayer for my 1-2 day pack. I sold my bighorn to bump up one size to what I thought would be the Glacier 4200cc. I actually am waiting for the G5000 to arrive instead. My reason for going up another pack size was for an up coming Rainer trip where I'll be part Sherpa for my daughter.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Cuius est solum, eius est usque ad caelum et ad inferos
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Great, that's exactly what I'm looking for. A pack that can go from day pack to meat hauler, a pack I can bivy out of, and maybe even take to Disney with the family if need be. I want a pack that is going to last a lifetime.

B
B
@huntem Sorry for the off topic question but can you post a short review with some photos from the G5000 when you have it? I'm seriously interested in that pack and am switching between the glacier and G5000. I would really appreciated it. There are not many review of those packs.

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Finally bit the bullet and purchased one today. It was not cheap so I really hope it is worth it. Can't wait to get my hands on this puppy.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
You won't regret it. I bought my Big Horn a couple of years ago and I haven't regretted at all. I picked that one for my first MR since that size will cover most of my needs. Now I'm trying to decide between a Grizzly or a Kodiak.
I've used my Big Horn for warm weather over nighters, day hikes, and as a carry on a couple of times.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by remington79
Now I'm trying to decide between a Grizzly or a Kodiak.

Curious minds want to know why the internal versus the NICE 6500 or 7500? Weight? Cost? Frame design?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Cuius est solum, eius est usque ad caelum et ad inferos
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

654 members (16penny, 1936M71, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 70 invisible), 2,644 guests, and 1,239 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,946
Posts18,498,979
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.