Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
A few years back, Grice had a run of these rifles made up in the synthetic version. I fooled around and didn't get one, and have regretted it since. For whatever reason, I have always had a fondness for the .35. Anyway, I was at a friends gunshop last week and saw an advertisement for another run of these rifles in a Grice flyer. This run has the standard walnut stock, and the 18.5 inch barrel. I happened to have a little extra mad money in my pocket, and had my buddy order me one. I won't be back up that way for about four days, and I am trying to keep myself from thinking too much about it.

I have dies for the .35, but am leaning towards just shooting Remington Factory loads this season. If everything goes well, I will take it deer hunting this season.

Right now I am pondering what type of scope to put on it. I really don't see a need for anything stronger than a 4X, although, if I had more mad money, I might be compelled to order one of the 1.5-5x variables....

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

GB1

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
I have a 1 x 4 Leo. on a .280 Mtn rifle and it is my favorite scope hands down. I just bought a 1.75 x 5 Bushnell Trophy for my daughters .260, she really likes it. I would buy the Leo. for your .35, as you can mount it back far enough to grab the rifle right in front of the scope to carry it. The balance point on a carbine is a little diferent than a regular 7600.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
A Leo 2.5x from Premier Reticle with a German #4 or #1 reticle. Fast, light, and compact. I put a 1x4 VX 2 with the #4 reticle on my 7600 7mm-08.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I've got one of the synthetic carbines in .35 and mine wears a Weaver 1-3X, fits it to a "T". These are incredibly handy little rifles. I wanted walnut stocks when I ordered mine but they only offered synthetic at the time. Naturally they came out with walnut a year or so later. The synthetic is ok though and is more practical anyway. I'm seriously thinking of having mine hard chromed or electroless nickeled to make it "all weather". The nickeled 7600 and 7400 "Weathermasters" they offered for awhile looked pretty cool.

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
CrimsonTide,

I've got a new Weaver K2.5 Duplex gloss finish, new but no box, that I might could part with if you're interested.

PM me.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
CT

I have one with a Leupold 1-4 Shotgun scope with the heavy duplex.

BTW you can load 35Rem pretty stout in a 7600...dang near 358Win. velocity/energy.

WN

'Tis far better to walk alone than to follow a crowd going the wrong way.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
what did they want for this carbine? Do they have any left? I would like to transition to this type gun from my Marlin .44 mag "brush gun" that I use now on occasion. It has a 1.5 x 5 Leupold VXI, which is OK but nothing to write home about. It's accuracy is not bad 3 inches at 100 with WW 240 grain but I would welcome a little less arc in the bullet even though it is a brush gun. Jimmy P

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
For a scope my vote goes to the Leupold 1.5-5 VX-III. I have several on my short range hunting rifles and they are excellent. The only problem is that they do run "out of light" quicker than scope with larger objective bells. A friend has a 1.75-6 VX-III on his M7600 .35 Whelen and loves it.

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Buddy only said that they had some in stock and confirmed that I wanted to order one. I can't say how many they have in stock. My guess is that they do still have a few though...

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Sounds like an awesome carbine Tide. I have an old model 760 in 35 myself. Mine has 22 inch barrell and isn't drilled for scope mounts. I love it as-is with the open sights.

"Buy American"
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I supposedly got the last of the 2004 run back in March of this year (IIRC). I asked Grices then if they planned another run and they said only on Rem offered them another good deal.

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
I once owned a 760 in 35 Rem. It had the old "corncob" forend and the aluminum buttplate. If I remember correctly it was made in 1955. I liked it, but ended up selling it to a friend who wanted it for his wife to deer hunt with. I wanted a carbine length rifle even back then and once thought of having the barrel trimmed back on that rifle, but it just seemed too much like sin to do that......

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Just had to post that I just took possession of this rifle. I am very pleased with it! (As pleased as I can be without having actually shot it anyway.) The wood has very nice grain, with a satin finish. The blue is even and dark. The little rifle handles like a yardstick and shoulders for me just as you would expect a short barreled riot gun. I will remove the sights from the barrel as soon as I make up my mind on which scope is to be mounted. THis is one of those rifles that I always said I would buy if I ever ran up on one. I finally broke down and ordered it, and am glad I did.

This type rifle fits in with the area I hunt to a T. For the most part, a long shot at deer on this farm is 125 yards. I am really having fun trying to decide on a bullet to try to load. Looking hard at the 225 grain Sierra Gameking. That choice depends on accuracy and the ability to drive that bullet fast enough to expand reliably.

Thanks for letting me gloat......

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
perfect scope: el paso weaver k2.5, post and duplex. they're around. next-to-perfect scope: modern weaver k2.5 duplex. go huntin'.

abiding in Him,

><>fish30ought6<><

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

402 members (117LBS, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 1lesfox, 46 invisible), 2,842 guests, and 1,131 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,445
Posts18,528,730
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.