Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Bitt Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Clarke
Is your sleeping bag on the top of your tent to dry out.Does it get wet from condensation in the tarp?I am considering placing an order for one and am trying to gather as much info as possible Thanks John

The bag is up there just to take advantage of a nice morning really. It doesn't get wet from condensation off the sides - just general body heat...not big deal. With one person in there it is easy to stay away from the sides. I usually pack a ti-goat bivy as a emergency backup and in the case it is unusually tough conditions with a down bag.

GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Bitt,

I am looking at putting this combo together for bow season.

What size stove pipe boot did you need for the Ti Goat? I talked with Angie @ Kifaru and she thought their smallest was a 3" opening.

Ti Goat stoves have a 2 3/8 pipe correct? Is this a compatible combination?

Thanks

Turn me loose, set me free, somewhere in the middle of Montana!
Bitt Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I talked to Patrick and had them just leave it uncut. It was marked out but I cut it. The hole has grown to about 3" +- with use and it really doesn't matter much. I don't remember noticing a difference in leaking.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Fantastic..I'll note that on the order. Looks like a great shelter/stove combo.
How do you like the stoves performance in the SuperTarp?

Thanks again!

Bitt Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
It's a nice burning stove, good size for the ST. Can be a pain to put together if your out of practice. Wish it had a flat top like a K stove. But naturally, its a trade off for weight and stowage. The seekoutside med ti-stove looks like a nice, albeit heavier option.

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Obviously there's some variation in burn times depending on wood and humidity etc, but what is a range that can be expected?

-Antiacus
F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
How long does it take you to boil say 1qt of water? The box style stoves I found boiled quite fast, how does the cynlinder compare?

Bitt Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by antiacus
Obviously there's some variation in burn times depending on wood and humidity etc, but what is a range that can be expected?

I might get 3 hours burn with the right wood banked right. Have kept coals most of the night (not enough to make much heat but the morning light-up is easier). The cylinder is all but airtight except the door and the air intakes (which are just holes always open) so you can bank it effectively.
I also have a 8 man K tipi & med. stove and with my homemade damper and I don't get that long of burn from that. The box leaks air from every direction.

Bitt Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by FoldersUnite
How long does it take you to boil say 1qt of water? The box style stoves I found boiled quite fast, how does the cynlinder compare?

I have a pot curved to match the cylinder circumference so I can boil water ok, not sure of the time. But my k stove is faster...it just gets hotter - increased draft from the chimney being 4 times higher - the stove pulls combustion air from every possible joint... flat top....

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Half the price, but twice the weight unfortunately (in SS anyway). It was a fun project. I need to build it in titanium now to make it light. It's by no means my design...obviously tigoat, EdT, and many more have perfected this. This was just something I wanted to try for "fun". I built it almost identical to Thumper, with a few mods. It turned out good...just a bit big for my shelter and needs to be redone in Ti. I can get adequate heat for a couple of hours, but that's about it. Beats freezing in the morning while getting dressed. I can really control the heat with the damper and choking down the air intakes...its neat to watch the heat transfer from the pipe to stove when you close the damper. Anyway, not trying to hijack the thread, just thought I'd throw a cheaper alternative out there for the do it yourself types.

[Linked Image]

What happens when you get scared half to death...twice?
IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Nicely done!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by tipmover
Bitt,

I am looking at putting this combo together for bow season.

I ran a Supertarp with annex and Kifaru Para stove all last September and early October. My hunting buddy Elcope here and on other forums lent it to me while he was gone playing Army. For one guy with gear and a recurve, that thing is a palace. It allowed me to keep camp fast and mobile. 3 day weekends, I went in about 20 Lbs.

As far as stoves... I can't love the TiGoat. I don't know why they don't pirate EdT's setup with the 2 strips on top holding it together. No need for a bastid pot

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by DanAdair
I don't know why they don't pirate EdT's setup with the 2 strips on top holding it together. No need for a bastid pot

Apparently they did, as the new Ti Goat Stoves use two rods on top:

[Linked Image]

Scott

Bitt Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I get the 2 rod system and it looks like a good way to go - trade off there is about efficiency and that comes from max pot /stove contact. I bet the curved bottom has a faster boil time ...sucks more for fine culinary feats.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think it needs a shelf for biscuits, and a box smoker for tenderloins laugh

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I think maybe a stack robber properly placed could double as a smoker smile

Lightweight Tipi Tents and Hunting Tents https://seekoutside.com/tipis-and-hot-tents/
Backpacks for backpack hunting https://seekoutside.com/hunting-backpacks/
Hot Tent Systemshttps://seekoutside.com/hot-tent-combos/
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

87 members (69sportfury, 35, AdventureBound, 6mmCreedmoor, 6mmbrfan, 257_X_50, 6 invisible), 1,449 guests, and 879 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,514
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.