Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Eremicus
I was wondering what load he used because of another thread we saw not long ago with another blown 5.7. That guy was also using handloads. Handloads which are not listed in any of the loading data that I am aware of.
Is this the same guy ?
Was he using the same load or something like it ?
Did the handloads damage the gun to where it came apart, even if it didn't come apart with his handloads ?
How about the 30 rd., non stock magazine ? Can that affect the functioning of the gun ?
I'm suspicious of this whole post. He's quite willing to tell us about it, but not the loads used. In spite of the fact that he has already admited to using handloads and admited to firing something like 70 rds. in 5-7 mins.
On top of all this, he's posting this on the internet as he's claiming damages. E

Settle down Beavis....

GB1

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by FAIR_CHASE
Originally Posted by ColsPaul
Good ad for them, if it can still work!
contemplating one for my G20..

It appears to still work. I have another on a PMR30. Maybe I can get an endorsement deal from Burris?

Surgery scheduled for Feb 27 with a hand surgeon. Will require removing nerve tissue from the lower calf area to repair the severed nerves to the thumb and outside palm area.

Hope all goes well, Monday.
Better than mine, I still can't use my left hand correctly and my middle finger is almost .5 inches shorter!

"wanna hear God laugh? Tell Him you have complete control now!"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I was wondering what load he used because of another thread we saw not long ago with another blown 5.7. That guy was also using handloads. Handloads which are not listed in any of the loading data that I am aware of.
Is this the same guy ?
Was he using the same load or something like it ?
Did the handloads damage the gun to where it came apart, even if it didn't come apart with his handloads ?
How about the 30 rd., non stock magazine ? Can that affect the functioning of the gun ?
I'm suspicious of this whole post. He's quite willing to tell us about it, but not the loads used. In spite of the fact that he has already admited to using handloads and admited to firing something like 70 rds. in 5-7 mins.
On top of all this, he's posting this on the internet as he's claiming damages. E

Did I misread? I thought he stated the firearm blew on the last round of his second magazine of factory ammo. I do tend to misread, maybe I need to go back again.

To the OP, good luck with that left hand.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by deflave
I think you're handling this whole situation like a standup guy, Fair Chase.

Best of luck to you man.

Travis

I agree completely. Best of luck on your recovery, Fair Chase.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Oh ? And why is that ? Don't you want us to know what to avoid ? E

He just did! From the looks of that picture I'd avoid the 5.7X28! grin

Travis

Oh, man. That was soooo mean!

IC B2

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
No, Fair Chase. I'm asking my questions on a public forum where you started this discussion.
You answer only those questions which suit you, but not all of them. Some you say you'll answer, but only in a PM. How come ?
Why did you tell us about this incident at all ? When I asked for the details of your handloads, which may help the rest of us avoid such a problem, you refuse to give us that information. Again, no reason given. And then you can't understand why I'm suspicious of your motives.
I wish you a full recovery from your inuries. E

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
No, Fair Chase. I'm asking my questions on a public forum where you started this discussion.
You answer only those questions which suit you, but not all of them. Some you say you'll answer, but only in a PM. How come ?
Why did you tell us about this incident at all ? When I asked for the details of your handloads, which may help the rest of us avoid such a problem, you refuse to give us that information. Again, no reason given. And then you can't understand why I'm suspicious of your motives.

You have issues.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Wow, Perry Frigging Mason.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
When I asked for the details of your handloads, which may help the rest of us avoid such a problem.... E

Apparently you have a reading comprehension problem. He was using FACTORY AMMO when the pistol kaboomed, dood. Re-read the original post and the subsequent posts on pages 1 and 2 of this thread. On second thought, don't bother. If you didn't get it the first time...

You apparently reallyreallyREALLY want to keep reloading for this round and this pistol, even though it scares the bejabbers out of you to do so.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Regardless of the virtues (or demons) of the cartridge, it's kind of scary the gun can shatter so violently when a case blows.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

IC B3

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Anyone know the standard operating pressure of the 5.7...being a bottle neck rifle case much like a .221 Fireball it has to be well above most standard handgun cartridges. I've been present when two Glock 9mm went KaBoom but neither caused any damage to the gun or shooter. A friend with a .40 split the frame causing some cuts on his hands. Glock replaced the gun no questions asked. I've blown the webs on 3 Supers over the years but the worst thing that happened was cracked grips panels....

Bob

Some interesting information...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FN_Five-seven

http://www.fivesevenforum.com/archive/index.php_f-11.html

http://www.shootingtimes.com/2011/08/31/longgun_reviews_st_fnsfirepower_200811/

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by DocRocket
Oh ? And why is that ? Don't you want us to know what to avoid ? E

He just did! From the looks of that picture I'd avoid the 5.7X28! grin

Travis

Oh, man. That was soooo mean!

Note the smiley. I'm still buying one. grin

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Fine. Be that guy. Just don't blow your hand up, ya goober.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I've lived this long being "that guy". I shall continue to march sir.

Although, that pistol has to be one of the worst looking KB's I've ever seen.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Well, whaddya expect when you shoot a round that generates rifle-type pressures in a pistol-type frame/chamber? Yeesh!!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good luck on the surgery today. I hope it all works out and you regain full use of your left hand.

de 73's Archie - W7ACT

[Linked Image]

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Yes, Doc, I read what he claimed, i.e. that the gun came apart with a factory round. I asked about the handloads he also mentioned using the same day. For some reason, he refuses to tell us what those handloads were. E

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Operating pressues for the 5.7 FN roiund are in the 45,000 psi range. Which is higher than any other standard semi auto round.
The reloading data I've seen indicates it's a very critical round to hand load for.
The only other known instances of this gun coming apart were both with handloaded ammo. This makes three guns out of many thousands that have had no problems.
This guy says that it came apart with factory ammo, but also says he was using handloads a few minutes prior. Considering the nature of this round, I was curious as to what his handloads were. Could they have weakend the gun if they were too hot ? Even well made rifles have had this problem, let alone handguns. That's why we have the proof testing standards and procedures. No, I don't know how that is done with this pistol. Anybody know ? E

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Yeah, and he said he won't answer publicly until everything is sorted out. We can read.

I for one appreciate the post, and I don't blame him one bit for not posting any technical info.

Travis

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
You appreciate the post ? Why ? I find it raising questions about the issue of the gun's safety by implying that it's will blow up with factory ammo. However, there seem to be other factors involved. But we can't be sure because he won't tell us the rest of the story.
If he thinks by with holding any more information, he will not risk loosing his claim(s) for damages, it's too late for that. E

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

528 members (10Glocks, 12344mag, 1234, 16penny, 10gaugeman, 153, 65 invisible), 2,374 guests, and 1,267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,538
Posts18,472,802
Members73,939
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.