Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
nice ol' flat fender aswell grin

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I can honestly say my uncles drathaars are the best gun dogs ive ever been behind for all around. His dog will hunt phesant in the am, ducks in the PM, and track a blood trail the next day. If your willing to put the time in they make a great pet, with great drive and hunting. just my opinion on them.

I kill chit. "The Heathens nest"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
and drathaars are not the same as a GSP. They are a much more controlled bred line. They are bred for function, and working, not for thier looks first. Ive never seen a drat that wouldnt hunt, i have seen some that, that is all they wanted to do however. If your interested, i can talk to my uncle and find a recommended breeder, i believe he got his last pup out west. The breeders for them are very dedicated and will ship/fly out with dogs to thier prospective owners.

I kill chit. "The Heathens nest"
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by sactoller
Bump to keep the good dogs on top!

[Linked Image]

Ya !

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by WyoCowboy
Griff's are great dogs but look at an Airedale. They are low sheding, great with family, and can be trained to do about anything. I have used Airedales as retrievers for years, they love the water and cold doesn't bother them.

I love Airedales! Awesome dogs. If I ever need anything killed,I'd feed it to an Airedale!

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
IC B2

L
L
I had a Drahthar back in the 70's. It was a great dog. Retrieved doves, quail, grouse, etc. Did not do enough training to make him a reliable pointer, but they are natural pointers and also will make good water retrievers, though i did not use him for that. Very good temperment as well.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Can we ever have better huntin' buddies?

[Linked Image]

Official member of "The Clan of Turd-like People"

[Linked Image]
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
From what you described, maybe something like a Springer Spaniel would be a good fit.....

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Nice dog Sactoller!

Who else has some pics?

A good dog is essential to a good life.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm partial to GSP's. For the most part, the ones I've hunted around have been close working dogs. The one in the pics below is asleep at my feet as I type this. I've got a 1 year old, he likes to use her as a jungle gym. Her retaliation is to lick his face.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The darker one here is my brother in laws (or sisters if you ask her). Calm dog as well, gets along great with my niece and nephew who are 2nd grade and kindegarten (I think?). He's been hit by the electric fence at the farm one too many times, so has to have some manual intervention to cross any fence now.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Nice looking GSPs there Cheesy.

A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by MadMooner
I am looking to get a dog this year, a family-hunting dog.

The new dog would first be a companion for my wife and I, as well as our little male schnauzer, and be a hunter second. Mostly grouse, pheasant, and I am itching to get into ducks. I live in the PNW, wet and can be cold with mild summers.

That line is very telling.
Most hunting dogs are non-hunting dogs for 90% of the year.

I have hunted with Setters (owned), Brits, GSP, Labs, Springers, etc.

My experience with the Wire Hair is limited to watching a young brace of them being worked (and hard) by a trainer with birds. They were younger dogs, longer and leggy... very graceful to watch, hard-workers and great temperaments. A co-worker of mine owned one as well and said she was a smart, tough dog. She loved to "bust ice" on late season water retrieves...

We have Golden Retrievers.
Not those blonde, long-haired, blocky engineered things; bastardized for the show ring.

But Goldens from field bred trial lines (think doggie Olympics smile )- smaller and very athletic. Darker red, short-coated hunters, with great noses and desire.

Wonderful in the water and upland birds. They thrive in the wet and cold but may not tolerate the heat as well or excel for open range as the pointing breeds.

But above all, flat out wonderful companions.

What ever breed you end up with, keep in mind there will be variance within the breed and chose a reputable breeder that stresses the traits you desire...

Regardless, here is short primer on puppy training and a pic of a field bred golden by a top notch breeder:
http://www.gundogcentral.com/view_a...pbrass%20Retrievers%20for%20all%20Reason

This used to be the bible on starting a puppy (also, preparation before you chose a pup) and has served our family well through the years:
http://www.amazon.com/How-Raise-Puppy-You-Live/dp/1577790227

Best wishes on your endeavor. smile

Hope some of this may have helped, please feel free to pm for any info/pics!

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Thanks for the advice and links, add. Much appreciated.

That Golden in the link is a beautiful dog.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MadMooner
I am looking to get a dog this year, a family-hunting dog.

I've been around some GSPs that were pretty dang high strung and don't want a lab shedding all over the house. I was looking at some of the wire haired dogs and love the look of the Wire Haired Griffons. Most everything I have read about them is positive. Low shed, great pointers and retrievers, fairly calm indoors dog. I've heard the same for some Drahttars.

The new dog would first be a companion for my wife and I, as well as our little male schnauzer, and be a hunter second. Mostly grouse, pheasant, and I am itching to get into ducks. I live in the PNW, wet and can be cold with mild summers.

Anyone with an opinion of the Griff in this role? Male or female? Know any trusted breeders in the area?

Griffs are the finest breed there is for many reasons.

We've bred in the past but aren't currently.
PM me if you want to talk more about these great dogs.

Here are ours...[Linked Image][Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Some of our pups...
"Patches" in South Dakota...
[Linked Image]

"Fairbanks" in Ontario, Canada....
[Linked Image]
Great breed for the home and field.

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Broomd,
I actually sent you a PM last week! laugh This post was actually just a cut and paste of the PM I sent ya. I was hoping you would chime in.

I'd love to chat with you, if you wouldn't mind. I'll send another PM.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
MM, sorry I missed that PM...

Drop me a pm with your number, I'll give you a call, share what I can.

Great you are considering a Griff. Helluva choice.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I have had gwps since 78.great dogs. Go to versatiledogs.com read about about the breeds in breed info big help.if you have a navhda chapter by you go to a test and see some dogs before you buy.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
TTT

Like to see more input on this thread. Pudelpointer, Griffon and Deutsch Draathars are at the top of my want list.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

81 members (35, 6mmbrfan, 16penny, 10gaugemag, 15 invisible), 1,565 guests, and 783 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,760
Posts18,514,966
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.