Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 18 of 18 1 2 16 17 18
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by hunter1960

No term limits. Just have to run for reelection every eight years. A lot of people don't worry about local elections. They only worry about state & natl. elections. They vote by name recognition in local elections or someone being a friend of a friend thing.

That, sadly, is how it works all too often....

Popularity has little to do with justice....

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by T LEE
Just glad justice was served and all came out to the good. Sometimes it just take a bit.

+1000 !!

Don't steal my Monday morning quaterbacking thunder there Terry! grin

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by .280Rem
Originally Posted by .280Rem
Here's the problem...and I'm speculating this was the case here. There are two things officers, and/or their agencies do. Officers often are trained to believe that courts "sort things out". That could have been the case here.

The other is departmental policies that say probable cause = automatic arrest. I'm betting this is the more likely scenario.

In either event, it's passing the buck, and it's passing it to an entity that is NOT charged with investigating, and "sorting things out"...the DA is charged with prosecuting crimes, and the courts with maintaining procedural safeguards. Cases brought to him should have been "sorted out" by the investigating officer(s). That's what an investigation does, sorts out facts, and circumstances.

We don't know if an investigator or a patrol supervisor wasn't involved. The decision may of been made and the arresting officer, was just the one who placed him under arrest. When i worked in patrol, i've been to many crime scenes where I was told to place the suspect under arrest and transport and book the suspect. My name was on the booking card and Mittimus as the arresting officer, yet I wasn't the one who made the decision to place the suspect under arrest. You know this happens and have seen it yourself.

I've speculated it both ways. Yes it happens. It shouldn't have here. I've also seen a patrol officer tell a supervisor, "If you want him arrested, then you do it".

Do you have criminal investigators within your DA's office?? The majority of Judicial Districts in this state do. It's paid out of the DA's budget. They can do follow up work on cases for the DA or they can strike out in areas that the DA wants to look at.

Yes we do. We don't currently have any that are commissioned. Their primary duty is finding witnesses, not investigating crime. That's what the police are supposed to do.

War Damn Eagle!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I would not dream of it HAJ.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by T LEE
I would not dream of it HAJ.

laugh

Ah, man! I hate that you can't make it to the boar hunt, sir!

Turdlike, by default.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Makes two of us Sir, I was REALLY looking forward to it.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Everywhere is different as to how DA's use Criminal Investigators. In this state they use them to investigate crime. DA's in this state also run, Judicial Drug Taskforces of multi-agency LEO's within their Judicial Districts. This isn't new, I have a BIL who use to oversee a DA's Drug Taskforce in the early 70's in Lane Co. (Eugene) OR. Back in the days when ANY possession of marijuana was a felony.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Everywhere is different as to how DA's use Criminal Investigators. In this state they use them to investigate crime. DA's in this state also run, Judicial Drug Taskforces of multi-agency LEO's within their Judicial Districts. This isn't new, I have a BIL who use to oversee a DA's Drug Taskforce in the early 70's in Lane Co. (Eugene) OR. Back in the days when ANY possession of marijuana was a felony.

We used to have some with commission cards, and they were used as investigators. Budget cuts though. We have the multi-agency DTF too, and a dedicated attorney that rides the circuit just working their cases.

War Damn Eagle!

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I wouldn't be so quick to lavish undue praise on the CA over this. Anyone who thinks the flood of negative media attention played no role in the final outcome of this case may be underestimating the ability of DAs to assess prevailing wind direction.

Here's one clue from the release that indicates he may not be entirely on the side of the righteous:

"Ultimately, citizens should forgo direct involvement in the apprehension or detainment of suspected criminals," Velardi said in the release.

On this point, I would ask the gentleman for further clarification. Specificallly, does he believe that direction should apply within the confines of one's own home? His statement seemed somewhat definitive, and if I lived within his jurisdiction, I'd be more than a little interested in the answer.

If you're fixin' to put a hole in something,
make it a hole to remember.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Kentucky_Windage
I wouldn't be so quick to lavish undue praise on the CA over this. Anyone who thinks the flood of negative media attention played no role in the final outcome of this case may be underestimating the ability of DAs to assess prevailing wind direction.

Here's one clue from the release that indicates he may not be entirely on the side of the righteous:

"Ultimately, citizens should forgo direct involvement in the apprehension or detainment of suspected criminals," Velardi said in the release.

On this point, I would ask the gentleman for further clarification. Specificallly, does he believe that direction should apply within the confines of one's own home? His statement seemed somewhat definitive, and if I lived within his jurisdiction, I'd be more than a little interested in the answer.
That statement tends to confirm my initial statements, i.e., the treatment of the shooter was designed to show general disapproval on the part of "the authorities" for regular folks dealing directly with criminals caught in the act.

IC B3

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
On that, I can provide some insight:

"We want people to own and bear arms, but to be responsible with them,"

I have never heard a statement out of CA Velardi that would put him anywhere but on the side of the 2A. His quote is CYA, similar to what most of us have to make all the time for the sake of liability.

There was a home-invasion shooting in Rochester a couple years back where the victim/resident was cleared in less than 24 hours.

George

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I reads the statements in question and that's exactly how I perceived it. CYA from a liability standpoint.

Page 18 of 18 1 2 16 17 18

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

82 members (BALLISTIK, 10Glocks, 35, 308ld, 808outdoors, AdventureBound, 7 invisible), 1,176 guests, and 755 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,868
Posts18,478,688
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.