Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
ScottM Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Quick question.

Why aren't side by side doubles seen in trap, skeet, or sporting clays?

Were they once popular? And if so, why no longer?

The church is close, but the road is icey. The tavern is far, but I will walk carefully. -Russian Proverb
GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
You can shoot them in any of the mentioned. There are a select few that still do at a competitive level. Main reasons is that the sight plane isn't as good as an O/U or single barrel.

Yes they were pretty popular back in time.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
S
ScottM Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Makes sense. Having had no experience with them, I wondered.

I assume the handling abilities are what make them as popular as they are for hunting? Do they lend themselves to instinctive shooting more than other platforms? I know tradition and craftsmanship has a lot to do with it.

The church is close, but the road is icey. The tavern is far, but I will walk carefully. -Russian Proverb
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I shoot mine at the clays course often. The killer is barrel regulation on sxs is never as good as o/u.....but I love my guns.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I suspect that I don't shoot well enough that barrel regulations is a serious issue...

Andrew
IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
We have a few bird hunters that shoot trap with us using older SxS's. Most do ok with them, a few are really good. Other than an occational nostalgia shooter the majority are just practicing for upcoming hunts.
Nice vintage guns, hunters though as many show significant wear and alteration.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by lovemy99
I suspect that I don't shoot well enough that barrel regulations is a serious issue...

grin

Me as well....

Lloyd McCarter and the Honky Tonk Revival
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I love SxSs and have a few. But for some reason I always have shot an O/U better, especially on clays. Not sure why. One issue is that I have "cross dominance." (No, not THAT thing they used to tar-and-feather fellers for! It means I'm right handed and have a dominant left eye). Once I figured that out--after missing many easy shots--my shooting with both types of double got a lot better. But I still shoot an O/U much better, especially on crossers where you actually have to LEAD that bird!

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I never did as well with a SxS on trap but I've shot some of my best tournement rounds in International Skeet with a SxS. I find the SxS mounts better from the low gun positionand it is easier to shoot crossing birds.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by high_country_
I shoot mine at the clays course often. The killer is barrel regulation on sxs is never as good as o/u.....but I love my guns.

I am surprised by that assertion as I have never seen that before. Can you point me to some data or tests that draw this conclusion. I can see where it might be a matter of more modern mass production O/U's are better regulated than older production sxs due to improved mfg. techniques but I would like to understand the mechanics if it is simply related to the barrel orientation. Thanks

IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
SxS have more perceived recoil due to the positioning of the barrels not being in a straight line under your eye. They want to torque right or left.

In addition they also tend to have more barrel flip upwards than an o/u. The barrels of the o/u being more of a one piece solid unit due to their positioning one over the other reduces the amount of upwards barrel flip.

All of this makes the o/u a little more comfortable-and some feel a lot more-for a long day of clays when many rounds may be shot.

The barrel flip of the sxs is also felt by some to result in needing a different comb height dimension.

Last edited by battue; 02/29/12.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Some years ago,George Digweed of England won several World Skeet Tournaments with a SXS...it's all a mindset

Last edited by rifle; 02/29/12.

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Digweed could probably win with a Mossberg pump. grin

In his case you not only have mindset, but eyes, technique and experience honed but more rounds than most of us can imagine. He makes few mistakes regardless of what he is shooting and anything but the top of the pile is a bad day.

I've watched him shoot and it is a job to him. The fooling around and fun starts at the end of the day. During the tournament leave him be. Targets that we brake and then pat ourselves on the back thinking we did great, he just moves on to the next station and starts over with little emotion.

Some of the young Bucks have knocked him off the top recently, but in his prime he was probably the best of our time.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I own a number of SXSs. There are a few ideas that could stand some clarification in this discussion.
The "sight plane" issue vis a vis the O/U. That kinda depends on how one was taught to shoot. I was taught to look at the target not at the bead or the barrels. I was taught that, if my gun fit me properly, it'd shoot where I was pointing it/where I was looking. So....under those conditions the sight plane is not a factor.
SXSs and perceived recoil: SXSs as a class tend to weigh less than equivalent O/Us (I am sure that one can go find an exception but the idea is generally true). The difference is about a half pound across the board. In addition, SXSs tend to balance between the hands and O/Us tend to be a bit more balance forward. Those two qualities of the SXS, will result in greater recoil both perceived and free.
Stocks tend to be different. SXSs, especially older guns, tend to be shorter stocks with thinner wrists as well as more drop. These qualities add to nimble handling (I have read a description - on another forum - that SXS are meant to be handled like a wand....the best at field work.) They also affect perceived recoil.

Q. - SXS barrels..."they want to torque right or left."
I am not an engineer but....doesn't torque require a rotating mass? Something spinning, twisting? If that is so, it would be largely, if not totally, absent in a smoothbore.
There is a "yawing" effect caused by the right or left barrel recoiling back and around the balance point. Can that be considered a kind of torque?

Last edited by PeteD; 02/29/12.

To be on the wire is life. The rest is waiting.
Karl Wallenda
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
PeteD,

You are correct in many of you points, our major difference would be you seem to be primarily referring to field sxs and I to competition sxs. In which case some of the weight difference, handling qualities and stock differences are not as great between the two.

I've shot a lot of sxs and even weighted up to the equivalent of an o/u and with similar stock dimensions they rap me harder.

I struggled a little over the word torque trying to get it right and you are correct that perhaps I didn't do so. The point is that with an o/u the barrel is directly under your eye and recoil line essentially follows straight back along the line of the comb. With a sxs the rib is under your eye and the barrels off to the side. The recoil is no longer straight back, but twists-torque?-off to the side. Small difference, but some with experience think it does increase perceived recoil.

The more I think about it I think torque still applies, or is at least in line with your definition to a rotating mass. The recoil of a sxs causes the mass of the shotgun to want to rotate right or left from the center line.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by battue
The more I think about it I think torque still applies, or is at least in line with your definition to a rotating mass. The recoil of a sxs causes the mass of the shotgun to want to rotate right or left from the center line.

Put it a different way...

Drill a hole top to bottom through the midpoint of the gun, between the barrels, and set the whole thing on a pin or rod.

Touch off one barrel, and you will have your "rotating" motion.

Whether torque or yaw is the technically correct term, the effect is the same. wink

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Bingo and described well. Thanks

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Most S x S's I have ever seen/shot have too much recoil to want to shoot as a target gun. YMMV

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
As to the sight plane you can look at the target all day, and I hope you do because that is what breaks targtes. However you can still see down the sight plane which you are looking down to see the target. Which on a side by side weather it is a concaved or raised rib is a much wider sight plane then an O/U or single barrel gun.

Yes Goerge can shoot anything you put in his hands. But even he will tell you that its a slight disadvantage with the side by side. Come on Battue who is knocking Goerge off the top? He can't win them all otherwise nobody will want to play with him. smile

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I'm thinking when Faulds shows up, he worries a little more than in the past.

One of may favorites was always Paddy Howe and of course the crazy AJ Smith-the sporting clay equivalent of Babe Ruth-both multiple open and world champions of the past. Today they can't hang within 20 targets of Digweed and Faulds. Sooner or later age takes its toll and the young Bucks have their day.

The English boys still talk of the "Clash of the Titans" when a young Digweed dethroned AJ and never looked back.

How ya doing Bud?

Did a search on AJ to see what he was up to and found this. WTH was he thinking?
crazy
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-Smoker-Smith-kills-wife-leaves-him.html

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

525 members (1minute, 2500HD, 219 Wasp, 06hunter59, 204guy, 1941USMC, 60 invisible), 2,416 guests, and 1,334 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,892
Posts18,518,350
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.