Campfire Outfitter

6.5-257 Bob Imp.

GB1

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Phasmid
A 123 Scenar at 3000 is not terrible slow.

maybe my Tikka 'swede is slow, but I didn't hit 3000 until I dropped to 100gr bullets. I believe a 123 Scenar is a probably a good choice regardless though.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Why would anyone not be happy with a 6.5x55 ? Been killing big game since 1894, still works just fine and, in a modern rifle, will exceed the 260 Rem that was everyone's darling just a few years ago.

The one on top is a R.F. Sedgeley (probably one of one) in 6.55x55 built on an 03 NM action. With the period correct 160 grain throat, longer action...... well it's just amazing with 140 Bergers seated way beyond SAAMI OAL specs.

[Linked Image]

The bottom one is a 22-06 but that's another story.

Hey NSAQAM, Larry is very "IN", LOL
You also dishonor the 28th division by using the unit patch as an insult.
As for the liar, welcher Bricktop, his day is fast approaching.
Coward trolls won't accept PMs.
How's the phantom "campfire" coming ?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm thinking the 6.5-06, AI or reg, would be an easy rechamber and would give you more oomph.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I too would like a 6.5-06. My Swede is a nice shooter, but not really a long-ranger.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Would a Leupold with turrets and a good laser rangefinder make the 6.5x55 a dependable 500 yard hunting rifle with the proper projectile?

What do the long range shooters call it? Dialing for distance?

Jeff

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Most respected big game hunter/authors would suggest that hunting anything other than varmints at 500 yards introduces a high element of chance. Certainly a 6.5x55 would kill at that range (the rifle shown above will put 10 in a Nickle @ 100 yards) but game moves, winds shift, mirage is misread, the shooter makes an error: any of which could produce a wounded animal and a hunt with bad memories. IME, in 55 years of hunting, you cannot really get too close, regardless of the weapon. The shot is an anticlimax compared to the hunt. I currently have a build underway for a 2000 yard 333 RUM "gong ringer" but shooting a big game animal with it would, IMO, not hunting. I've been in on too many recovery efforts for deer, antelope and elk that would have been unnecessary had the hunter halved the distance to the animal.
Good hunting !

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You must not have heard of John Burns.

Actually, I thought that since you generally refer to me in unkind terms, you would have put me on "ignore" by now. If you haven't, you should.

Jeff

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Jeff, may I refer you to a recent thread ? Perhaps after you read it, you will understand why you are not on ignore and will hear no more unkind words from me.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthread..._Where_is_everybody_Less_par#Post6227461

As MLK said:" Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that."

John Burns may be a great shot and made some record kills.
John also has a direct financial interest in the results of the success of his weapons.

Very few who try are as good as he is and lose many animals. It's like Marine Sniper school, many apply, few pass. Sad for our big game, hunters do not have to undergo training like that.(As they do in Norway) "To obtain a hunting license, the applicant must complete a 30 hour, 9 session course and pass a written multiple choice exam. The course includes firearm theory, firearm training, wildlife theory, and environmental protection training."

I prefer the stalk to the shot.

Thanks.

N
NFG Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
It's all about choice and doing something "else" or "new" or "Different".

Necking down a 7mm WSM would give you a nice increase in velo very simply. It's a simple matter to adjust the bolthead for the slightly larger case head and the WSM would give you about equal case volume as the 264 Win.

Just because there isn't anything wrong with the Swede doesn't mean you can't improve on it.

I have two Gustav M96 Swedes, one with the OEM long barrel and one cut down to 20"...the "longtom' has the original ladder military sights and the Carbine has a Williams receiver sight. I have little trouble keeping 5 rounds in a 14" pizza box at 500 yds with 120-140gr handloads even with my old, bad eyes.

I probably wouldn't rechamber tho'. If I wanted a larger case and more velo I would probably trade off/swap/buy a long action rifle in 264 Win with at least a 26 and preferably a 28" bbl.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Larry,

You can write all the nice words you want, but just as Jacob Marley forged his chain, you've forged your reputation, link by link and yard by yard. Perhaps you can go back to MLK and see what he suggests for driving out contemptuous indifference?

Jeff

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by John_G
I'm thinking the 6.5-06, AI or reg, would be an easy rechamber and would give you more oomph.

Ding, Ding, Ding .. we have a winner! No need for the AI.

but you knew I'd say that.

The swede is a fine cartridge!

The 264 winny will out run the 6.5-06.

If you build a "tweener" I guess you have the bases covered.

The only advantages the 6.5-06 have over the swede and the 264 winny are:

More umph with heavy bullets and flatter shooting over the swede.

Powder saver and barrel saver over the 264 win.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I recommended the 6.5-06AI for its physical dimensions and lengthened case life as much as for its increased case capacity. I do know that if you set a 6.5x55 back a couple full turns, depending of course on the thread specs of the action in question, a 6.5-06AI finish reamer will totally remove an existing 6.5x55 chamber. I don't know if a standard 6.5-06 finish reamer will do the same, because I have not done it.

Jeff

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Not exactly what is being discussed, but I had this picture and thought I would share it for reference. L to R, 257 Wby, 6.5x55 and 6.5x280AI.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That 6.5-280 A.I. sure do look good...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Jeff, if you wish to continue to be a negative person, that is up to you. I have chosen the path elucidated on the thread I suggested you read.

The only "open item" on my agenda os Bricktop's $10,000.00 bet. Once that is settled ( I think we all know how) there are no more "issues".

Marley was a money changer, a profession hated in Dicken's anti-semetic England (although Dicken's did not play that card). I hardly fit the profile. Most folk who really know me would liken me more to Mr. Fezziwig.

More on point in describing our relationship than The Christmas Carol, would be The Mystery of Edwin Drood. I'll leave it to you to ascertain why.

May the Lord's blessings fall upon you and those you love.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
We have no relationship, but with regard to Drood, what character do you see yourself as? Durdles, the drunken grave digger?

Jeff

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by interthem

I prefer the stalk to the shot.

Me too. I just love stalking ... laugh

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Fishhead, It will be an interesting test of the adults on the site (99.999%) to see which approach to dealing with your fellow members is more supported.

No, Jeff, I was referencing the fact that book was unfinished, as is our relationship.

You each are both living under a false premise. that your insults, name calling, thread pirating and other "uncivil" behavior will engender any reaction other than forgiveness.

Sorry, but the "troll wars" are over. The adults have won and your uncivil behavior is about as relevant to the conversations and business dealing conducted on the site as the number of angels who can dance on the head of a pin.

Have you read the thread I suggested yet ? Think the jury is in, case closed.

"Mustering up genuine compassion for those who have wronged us, instead of allowing anger toward them to eat away at us, is the course of action recommended by most psychologists." Sounds like a plan to me.

May the Lord's blessings fall upon you and those you love.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Who is posting under the handle "Internthem", Larry or Roger?

This DID, Dissociative Identity Disorder, formerly known in the trade as "multiple personality disorder", thing that you have going on really has me confused. Are you on your meds when you are Roger, who seems like a reasonable fellow, or on your meds when you are Larry, who is not a nice person?

Base on his past behavior, I find it difficult to believe that the "Larry" personality would ever be able to sincerely wish GOD's blessings on anyone, but when the words come from the "Roger" personality, they seem sincere.

Jeff

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

602 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 10ring1, 19rabbit52, 60 invisible), 3,055 guests, and 1,269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,490
Posts18,471,914
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.