Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by CowboyTim
I got to head south sometime in the next week, maybe two. Got a job somewhere east of New Orleans I think. I'll post the name of the town when I find out....Could be there better part of 2-3 months....

I'm truly sorry. Maybe someone will pray for you.

I have to go near Lousy-anna next week, but I actually like Mississippi.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Some of my most memorable experiences in Louisiana happened south of I-10, had an old coonass down there teach me the proper use of lures by DuPont. And the crawfish, son, I'm drooling just thinking about mud bugs! I am jealous, I keep prayin for another folding that takes me back to Fort Polk.

Back in the heartland, Thank God!

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by eyeball
OP-Do they provide uh, protection?

???
Maybe you should PM George. wink

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
With the hours they'll be working me, don't know how much time I'll even have. I do plan on doing some fishing, some eating and maybe some hunting....all depends on how it works out.

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Very nice folks down there, but it is the most putrid/uncomfortable place that I have ever been. Sometimes it felt like there was more water than oxygen in the air down there. It was like N.C. in August, but it was only early May.

IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
The rifle range I frequent is near rice/crawfish farms. Sometimes the mosquitoes can be interesting. Their giant size is a disadvantage though, you can feel them land and smack them before they get to drilling.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
With the hours they'll be working me, don't know how much time I'll even have. I do plan on doing some fishing, some eating and maybe some hunting....all depends on how it works out.

Seriously though, the redfish should be running in near the coast (the BIG ones) about now actually. Ask around. You may catch a forty pounder.

ADP Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'd love to head to south LA. I can't speak for the women but the food is excellent. Check and see if the state is still paying a bounty on nutria. A .22 rifle and a brick of ammo would be a fun paying afternoon down there.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Southern Louisiana is a great place with great food,folks,and fishing. Bugs can be a problem but that's what DEET is for.
I'm here on the Mexican border for a couple of months and would trade places with you in a second. It won't be hard to make the best of it.

----------------------------------------
I'm a big fan of the courtesy flush.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Tom264
I got to head south sometime in the next week, maybe two. Got a job somewhere east of New Orleans I think. I'll post the name of the town when I find out....Could be there better part of 2-3 months....
I'm sorry...

Spoken like a true mid-western moron. Maybe if you left Indiana every now and then,you wouldn't be so stupid. Nope...Never mind...

----------------------------------------
I'm a big fan of the courtesy flush.
IC B3

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Welcome to LA. I live a good bit north of there though. I know here in N. La. there are several places you can pay to play the hog game. Not sure about S. LA. though. If you have never been here to this great state, it is true what has been mentioned that it is like more than one state. Some divide it between north and south, but I have met more than one from SW LA that says it is more like 3 or more states. In other words, SW LA is different from SE LA and of course, N LA is different than the both of them. Enjoy your stay. I am sending you a PM.

It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first.
Ronald Reagan

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Kamerad_Les
Some of my most memorable experiences in Louisiana happened south of I-10, had an old coonass down there teach me the proper use of lures by DuPont. And the crawfish, son, I'm drooling just thinking about mud bugs! I am jealous, I keep prayin for another folding that takes me back to Fort Polk.

Dad was a rep for Detroit Diesel and spent a lot of time traveling all over the southern U.S. In the summer we would often go on trips with him and south Louisiana was a favorite. I loved getting bags of crawfish right out of the barrel. That and a six pack of grape soda is probably my most memorable meal.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Dude!! you coming to God's country :-)

and yes I am a coonass and damn proud of it!!

J Simoneaud

Supper's ready!! you have 2 choices, Eat or Don't eat.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you a coonass then what's all that white shete doing on the ground in ya picture? laugh

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
If you are going to Pearl River, I used to live real close. That is not cajun country, pretty much just regular rednecks. That being said, there are a lot of things you should do. Number one on my list would be to book an offshore charter out of venice. Try Deepsouth Charters, the guy is the best in the business. It's not cheap but if you take 4 or 5 guys you will have the time of your life. You could also try an inshore charter out of Venice. Louisiana has the best saltwater fishing in the country bar none.

You will also be here during prime crawfish season so eat well my friend.

Turkey season will be in. I may be on some turkeys here at Fort Polk at that time should you be interested.

Incredible food in New Orleans. Any restaurant owned by the Brennens is good food.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
That my friend is a pic of me on a hunt with SKANE in Manitoba 2008.

no snow down here in Acadiana!

J Simoneaud

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
If you want free hog hunting except for the license, you could hunt in the Pearl River WMA on the MS/LA border. The place is infested with hogs. However, deer season will be closed and you will have to hunt them with a rimfire, suggest a 22wmr or 17hmr -no problem with the smaller ones, the big ones you might just pizz off.

If you don't want to go all the way to Venice to book a fishing trip you can book a trip right there on Lake Ponchartrain or down around Hopedale. Call Hopedale Marina for a charter or look up Eric Dumas on Lake Ponchartrain - he is the best in the business on the lake - lots of nice fat speckled trout. You really owe it to yourself to catch some redfish while you are down. They put up a fight unlike any other fish.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
listen to Slidellkid, he is naming all the right spots and all the good guides

J Simoneaud

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Forgot to mention that if you bring some weapons you can shoot at the Honey Island shooting range. It is only about five miles from Pearl River, LA. It is a public range and I believe they have a web page. Nice range and well run. It is basically right beside the Pearl River WMA.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
nice range, good volunteer range officers.....but depending on time of year a pretty shaky clientele.... a little heavy on mall ninjas with SKS's for my taste. But the price is right.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

667 members (160user, 1lessdog, 219 Wasp, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 1eyedmule, 65 invisible), 2,248 guests, and 1,187 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,838
Posts18,496,789
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.