24hourcampfire.com
-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
OP Offline
Hey there all! Just wanted to let the horse folks around here know that I've got a saddle for sale in the "Free Classifieds" section. It's an "extra" so to speak, considering I have three and no horse. On that note, though, does anyone out there know of some good ranch horse breeders, or of a specific ranch-type horse that might be for sale in a month or two? Now that I've graduated and am gainfully employed, I have time (and funds) for my own horse.

Breed doesn't really matter to me--although I'm especially fond of foundation bred, stocky types with great bone. However, I've had plenty of fun on BLM mustangs, Appies, Arabs, and Walkers. I really just want to find something sound that can get me back to camp in the mountains. Age doesn't matter either--although I'd actually prefer a younger horse that hasn't been handled too much. I love ranch-breds who've actually had the chance to properly develop in the wide open spaces.

Here's the saddle, it's a MacPherson: [Linked Image]

I used it a lot for fun little "Wild West" shows I performed in at a local historical park. Here I am with one of my best friends, an Appendix gelding named Brooklyn. Unfortunately, the park won't sell him to me frown [Linked Image]

If you are not willing to go back every day and start over, you should not have started to begin with--because, you might have to start over a lot of days in a row before it carries over from one day to the next. BUCK BRANNAMAN
GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
The select horse sale in Salmon Idaho is coming up in April. I believe its on the 14th. Some really good stock goes through the ring at that anual auction. My two geldings came from that sale.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
There is a rancher up in the NW corner of Co,about 5 miles from each of the Utah and Wyoming line.His name is Dickerson or Dickinson. His son runs a herd of 30 or so,really nice horses.A lot of blue roans, quarter horses that he sells some.
They are off Colo Road 10 where it goes north from the east side of Browns Hole up to Wyoming. Nice folks and darn good looking horses. Bet you could get anything from a young unbroke to an old ranch horse.
Been wondering where you been since that first thread you posted.

These are free ranging horses that know about everything when they are started and bred to work.

That red roan mare towards the left, looking at the camera kept coming into my elk camp wanting to steal our mules.She was the herd leader of a bumch of yearlings and two yr olds.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by saddlesore; 03/01/12.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
OP Offline
Pat, thanks for reminding me of that sale in Idaho! I've heard some really good things about it from some of my horsey friends.

SaddleSore, thanks for the info on that ranch--that's exactly the type of breeding operation I'd like to visit. Sorry I've been missing for so long--I was actually applying for a new job that first week I posted. The interviews, hiring process, and then actually getting started at work depleted all of my technological energy--I barely checked my emails! I did, however, use my smart phone to check up on all of you during my lunch breaks. It really kept me going as I settled in.

I'm fully situated in my new job now, so you'll be hearing a lot more from me!

If you are not willing to go back every day and start over, you should not have started to begin with--because, you might have to start over a lot of days in a row before it carries over from one day to the next. BUCK BRANNAMAN
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
You might look into this web site. They have a classified section and there are more ranch folks on it.

Vince

http://ranchingcountry.com/

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B2

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
BLS horse sales in Billings MT has a sale at the end of every month.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
4 6s come right to mind. This is likely the best time in the last 20 plus years to buy a good horse. I love a good auction but it wouldn't be the first place I'd start looking. Depending on your interest, I'd call some of the top trainers in that discipline and see what clients wanting out have for sale. My personal choice would be breeders with some of the top of the line stock, and that certainly wouldn't be some color breeder. A breeder that produces winners would be my choice.

Be Polite , Be Professional , but have a plan to kill everybody you meet
-General James Mattis United States Marine Corps

Nothing is darker than a mau mau's moo moo.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
SedonaMare. Don't over look local horses. In past years,I have found some good horses from folks who's kids have gone off to college or such. A lot of them were spoiled,but occasionally you find one a 4h kid has had and knew what they were doing.

For the kind of riding you have infered that you want to do, a good diposition is paramount, at least to me, assuming good confirmation and health is present. Of course if it easy on the eyes and a color you appreciate,that is icing on the cake.

Lot'sa good horses for sale out there at present and I'm sure it will be that way in a month or two.

Around here, with hay running $15 per small bale, a lot of folks are having to sell thier horses,or even give them away.
Finding a good horse is about like finding a prince.You have to kiss a lot of frogs befre you find one. So don't get in big hurry.

Do you have your own truck and trailer to haul one in should you find the one you want?

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Sedona, an 'amen' to saddlesore's comments about looking locally. Check the classifieds, be patient, don't buy anything without being able to try it for a week, and keep an eye out for "rescue" situations that actually work. For years I used to find good horses through classifieds, ride them for a summer, and turn them over for a small profit. When I went back to being a breeder I had to quit that, but it was very fulfilling to find good horses and then find them good homes. Don't be sentimental, romantic or idealistic. If you have a mentor use him. Have someone else take a look at the horse you're considering; make sure they know what they're talking about, and listen to them. Be careful. In today's market, someone looking for a horse is like a rich kid driving up to a crack house and yelling "I want to try drugs!" And don't neglect to post photos and descriptions here, too. You'll have to wade through a little B.S. but... that's the horse business. Should you decide to travel as far as Billings I can be of some help. Make sure you get a catalog ahead of time for any public sale you go to and have someone in the area as a troubleshooter. Jann Parker at BLS (Billings Live) is a friend of mine and if you decided to go as far as Billings I can contact Jann and tell her I want you taken care of. And I got your email and will put a book in the mail...

A Postscript: visit www.hancockhorses.com You might want to check out the breeders listed there or possibly post a classified ad. Again, I know the ladies, Donna and Michelle, who run this web site and they are very ethical and very good horsewomen. Michelle is more hands-on with the web site so if you have questions or want to post an ad she would be the one to contact.

Last edited by mtrancher; 03/02/12.
OP Offline
I agree, Vince, just by perusing the local classifieds I've seen many nice-looking prospects--usually from a horse family trying to downsize and stay afloat. I'm also going to avoid jumping in with both feet without taking a good look at the landing.

Richard, I agree that--for someone looking for a winner--you have to go to the breeders and trainers who raise them. The problem is, aside from the occasional team roping I don't really compete in anything, nor will I have the time too. I'm going to spend whatever time I can get away from work that I can in the mountains. I guess I'm concerned about taking a well-bred, arena type horse out to where it might possibly injure itself and ruin any future value it might hold. However, I gather that you have much more experience in the cutting arena than I do. Have you known any arena horses that converted to
hard-nosed mountain horses? Any horse from the 6666 ranch would be a dream.

MT, thanks for that info! Although I don't own it out right, a friend and I share a nice little 4 horse stock trailer. If I make it up to Billings, I will let you know. The horse trainer that I apprentice for has taken a lot of his home-breds over the years--I will definitely go with him if he heads up there this summer. I will also post any propects I come across on this forum--I doubt I'll have to wade through ANY bs, unlike the last forum I belonged to... (:

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hi Sedona, I would say thats even better for you. Even in this market to buy a winner you need a truck load of money with you. But by contacting some trainers you may pick up a horse with $10,000+ in training on him that just isn't going to be able to compete in a certain event, but would make a heck of a saddle horse. Most of those guys winning don't give up their competitive horses taking them to the pay window but will unload one thats not going to make it for relative cheap.
As to the four 6s horses being able to hold up, those are some of the few hosess bred in the nation that have a job before they're born. They're bred for purpose, to be workers. You'd have to use one awfully hard to break a horse like that down. I would be more leary of the backyard breeder that allows defects to get passed on just so they make some foals.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Ken McNabb does his ranch horse sale the first part of June in Douglas Wy. If you watch RFDtv a couple of his shows are devoted to highlighting different horses. Good luck

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Need a saddle horse..

I've got 180 to choose from...

3-7 year olds. any stage of development, unhandled to broke ready to go.

If you never ridden a gaited horse then you are missing something. ;-) You'll get to camp more efficiently and less worn out. Both you and the horse. Walkers, Saddlebreds and foxtrotters don't count. ;-)

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Impressive. Those horses have a very consistant look.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Rocky Mountain Horses.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Prettty nice looking horses.

A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
I love Rocky's! beautiful horses. Love the pictures!

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Here's one that just completed 90 days...

We call him Rocket!

This horse will go all day..and then some. He's been to the hills, on trails and moved cattle as well.

[Linked Image]

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Nice looking horses. Please tell me more of the Rocky mountain horse breed.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Long story short..

An exceptional horse was brought to KY where he was found to have the exceptional way of moving, efficient, smooth, fast...very "cold blooded" temperament. Gentle, willing and smart. He came from the Rocky Mountains. Hence the name. The horse was named Tobe. Tobe was bred and had 5 sons.

We have grandsons of the 5 sons of Tobe and a grandson of Tobe standing at stud.

This breed is what they have always claimed. Gentle, Smart, willing, smooth, fast, efficient and when conditioned can go all day long. They have a distinct 4 beat gait (when asked to gait) that is different than the other gaited breeds. This gait can be from 4-17 mph.

I came from a background of Mountain Pounders. Big stout horses that can go to the hills and last all day long. Quarter horses draft cross types. Since we've been managing this ranch I've discovered what I was missing when wanting to cover country. Even the challenging, tough rugged country of the Rockies. This breed handles it with ease, speed and efficiency. One of our horses placed 11th in the Tevis Cup. This is a 100 mile endurance race. Usually dominated by Arabians and Thoroughbreds. Not any more.

We are training these horses a bit different than whats out there. Many train these horses as traditional gaited horses. "2 handed" horses where the rider has to ride with both hands. That (in our mind) isn't a trail horse. We are training to ride one handed and still reach and maintain the gait when asked.

That's about it in a nut shell.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

589 members (007FJ, 10Glocks, 22250rem, 160user, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 68 invisible), 2,473 guests, and 1,280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,477
Posts18,489,976
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.