Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Scott F
Originally Posted by Field_Hand
I got the belt. no countin to three or timeouts for me. I don't raise my kids any different than i was raised.

I got the belt and I wasn't bad. I remember my dad teaching me chess by pounding my head with his trafic finger and yelling "think idiot, think". I got the belt when I got math questions wrong. I got the belt and called stupid several times a week.

My kids were raised strict and with good maners but they were never called stupid and they did not get the belt. I was not a great father but all my kids still like me and none have been in trouble.
my dad never called me that. i've tried real hard as a father not to be overly critical to my kids. but if they do something that's unacceptable they know they get a whipping. words can hurt far worse than a whipping.

My idea of being organic is taking a dump in the woods.

GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
The forum does not provide enough room for me to tell you how much I despise poorly raised children.
Your incident is prime example of what is wrong with this country. As a LEO I get called to several incident of out of control children. Little ill behaved chits that don't want to go to bed or go to school because mommy and daddy aren't really parents theyre friends instead because they're incompetent. They talk to their children and discuss things when they act out and no matter what they do as long as they give an empty "I'm sorry" everything is OK. What's worse is the JUDICAL system has decided that spanking and or punishing your children is abuse. Not entirely but to a point that parents who want to raise their children are afraid to because of legal penalties. There is no excuse for that kind of behavior and it was obviously taught by the jackass parents. You should have drilled the old man right in the mouth and taught both of them a lesson. I don't promote violence but in some cases simple swift punishment is the only effective way with simple minded people.

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I don't promote violence but in some cases simple swift punishment is the only effective way with simple minded people.

Certainty, severity and celerity.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm in the group that says they don't know what would have happened because they would never have even thought about dis respecting an adult.

I never did until I was 17 years old and that was a special case.

When I was a kid I would have never considered joining adults unless invited and if invited would have been so happy to be included I would have almost wet my pants.

Quando Omni Moritati
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Ranger_Green
My dad never hit me. He didn't have to.

Just the opposite for me. As far as I know, I never gave my father reason to, he did it because he had no control over his temper.

Its kinda sad for me when I hear what great fathers some of you others folks had. I sure didn't. And don't. He did some things really right, gotta give him some credit, but he's a long ways from perfect. He puts on a real good face when he's got an audience but when its only people he thinks he can control, watch your back. Classic bully, maybe classic psychopath. I can't trust him. I can't count on him. Sucks.

Last edited by T_O_M; 03/01/12.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
IC B2

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I remember more the first time I DIDN'T get a lickin'. I was about 11 or 12, and I had smacked a young woman that was cleaning our house on the backside because she had hit my brother, medicman, when she was not allowed to do that. Dad took me outside and told me I was too old to get spanked, but I was just about the right age to get punched real hard if that ever happened again. I got the point. My Dad was not a brute or an abuser. He just never even considered it an option under almost ANY circumstances to strike a woman.

I'm 48 years beyond 13 now, and I would have beat the US to the moon by several years if I had ever tried to pull a stunt like the young rebel in the OP.

I raised my daughters the same way. Rude, disobedient, disrespective behaviour will be paid for in butt leather.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by mathman
I don't promote violence but in some cases simple swift punishment is the only effective way with simple minded people.

Certainty, severity and celerity.

It's the Dog Handler in me coming out. Folks like that are on or below the cerebral level of animals.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
OP,
My Dad would have kicked your azz...

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
And then mine...

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
My mom had a specialty:

As I was running away from her chasing me, I'd get kicked by her every other stride- right in the tailbone.

I was running because she told me if I continued to misbehave she'd kick my arse all the way to my bedroom. She was good at it. If I made it to safety (bedroom) I'd slam and lock the door and talk trash from the other side. Then she'd tell me I could stay in there until Dad came home...

My Dad never hit me or threatened to, never picked on his kids about anything. He didn't have to. He's an attorney and a real smart one- he can talk and that was his weapon and it was worse than Mom's foot. Talking with him would put you in your place and make your real sorry, real fast for what I did to my Mom or sister.

Don't get me wrong, every time my mother hit me, put soap in my mouth, dumped a glass of OJ in my lap before school, I deserved it and knew it was coming because she told me she was going to do it. I definitely deserved it. But I think they brought me up alright and certainly taught me to behave and to not disrespect people (or was the butt-paddling in the middle of the grocery store with an audience before marching out without any groceries?)

Some people need parenting or the gene pool needs chlorine

Originally Posted by Bristoe
It's about like this:

"Do you puff peters?"

"Hell no!"

"NAZI!!!"

IC B3

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
I had my rear end straightened long before I reached that age. I was never a bad kid, but we all had to learn what was and wasn't acceptable behavior. I think I had to be spanked one time past the age of 4 or 5. And that was for using inappropriate language!

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by 280shooter
My wife has been working in the local school district recently. She told me of 2 incidents were a student, 7-10 year-old, flipped out and started over-turning desks, throwing things, screaming, etc. The school answer was to remove the rest of the students and leave the one alone to throw his fit and destroy the classroom. Is it any wonder that we have a problem?

I hear ya' 280. My son told me about a boy in his 4th grade class that was just expelled again, this time for good. He would topple desks and scream and shout but the final straw came when he threw a desk through the principals window, shattering it. When I was in school the teachers would hit ya' for being disrespectful...the times have changed and not for the better.

It saddens me that some young children act the way they do. They're a product of their home environment and lack of discilpline is readily evident. That fresh canvas (children) is often defiled by the graffiti of their parents.

I was raised to respect my elders and I wasn't permitted to call them by their first name let alone inject myself and my rules into their game. And I was NEVER allowed to talk back for any reason.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Some kids should be culled from the litter.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I'd prefer to cull the parents. There are many folks that shouldn't be allowed to breed.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I was raised to respect my elders and I wasn't permitted to call them by their first name ...

We used first names in a respectful way. My parents' friends were Mr. and Mrs. Fontenot, but to us kids they were Mr. Al and Ms. Pat.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
I'd prefer to cull the parents. There are many folks that shouldn't be allowed to breed.
We all share in the blame for we've allowed the laws that make parents and teachers afraid or unable to deal out effective punishments to stand. By now it's painfully obvious that the kinder, gentler vision does not work and it's time to return to the ways of old.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by AcesNeights

I had a sociology class way back when and we studied Finnish society. They had a law where in order to have children you had to be educated and pass certain standards or your children were taken away and raised as wards of the state. Not sure on the validity of this but the Prof was from Finland so I give him some credibility. Thinking that law may have some merit to it. He would say "You had to be able to read in order to breed."

Last edited by brinky72; 03/02/12.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by T_O_M
Originally Posted by Ranger_Green
My dad never hit me. He didn't have to.

Just the opposite for me. As far as I know, I never gave my father reason to, he did it because he had no control over his temper.

Its kinda sad for me when I hear what great fathers some of you others folks had. I sure didn't. And don't. He did some things really right, gotta give him some credit, but he's a long ways from perfect. He puts on a real good face when he's got an audience but when its only people he thinks he can control, watch your back. Classic bully, maybe classic psychopath. I can't trust him. I can't count on him. Sucks.

I can think of a dozen examples of outstanding fathers with childhood histories like yours and ScottFs, my stepson is one of 'em. Hate to hear of stories like yours and ScottFs, but kids that had that to grow up with usually make great efforts not to repeat the trend.

Last edited by weaselsRus; 03/03/12.

Eagles may soar, but a weasel never got sucked into a jet turbine!
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

494 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 1Longbow, 1badf350, 17CalFan, 1lesfox, 44 invisible), 2,317 guests, and 1,202 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,333
Posts18,526,724
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.