Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I've seen these in stores and magazines for a long time now, and I've always wondered what the fuss was about. Is there something about a $300 surefire that makes it awesome? Do I need one? It seems like flashlights have come a long way since the minimag days, and you can get a pretty good light for $30 or so now.

What am I missing?

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Nothing is what you're missing -i got into ounce counting backpacking and the high dollar lights are a waste of money.
A $20 Energizer headlight is just as good as the expensive lights -maybe they don't have an absolutely perfect amount of light distribution -blah blah blah --paying $70-80 dollars for a light made in france is a waste of money.
Mention tacticool and jack the price through the roof and people will be clammering for them..

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
the $300 a Surefire costs makes it awesome. Just ask the guy who spent $300 on one.
I've been inspecting aircraft for 30+ years and have never needed (nor wanted) more than a good MagLite; one AA and one DD.
For outdoors, those Energizer headlights work great.

Last edited by levrluvr; 03/02/12.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a couple of Surefire look alike's that work great. At the moment, cannot afford a C note for a flashlight, but as was mentioned, the $30-40.00 ones are pretty darned good these days.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Bright nice flashlights are the bomb, being able to see not only in a daylight lit spot but a secondary peripheral that nothing could hide or move in is incredible.

The range of types of spot illumination is wide, some have a tight beam with no spillover and others have an inner spot with a secondary lit area that isn't as bright as the spot.

I invested $8000 in about 2008 trying everything available from Romison and Sunfire directly from the Chinese factories. I was giving samples to the big police departments and security firms in California and had some substantial orders on the table. I was going to have flashlights made to my specs under my name and order container loads of them, part of the deal was me becoming these factory's US master distributor as too many people were destroying the market selling at wholesale to the public.

When the economy tanked it wasn't an option for police departments to be upgrading their flashlights.

Go in Ebay and look at LED lights, for $150 you can get a 1600 lumen light that makes anything sold on this market look tired. For $220 you can get a 3500 lumen HID that will fry the hair on your arm and light up a circle two blocks away and make it look like daylight.

I live in the country and I wouldn't think about not having a great light.

The major difference between belief and fact is those who believe something have come to a conclusion no facts will contradict. Well informed people are open to new facts that oppose their beliefs. That also defines an open and closed mind.
IC B2

E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
Try Fenix lights; like Anschutz vs. CZ, they are 2/3 the product of the Surefire for 1/2 the cost.

"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" -Isaac Asimov

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Most of the very bright flashlights and headlamps do have some utility for search and rescue, mountain biking, climbing, etc.
I have a little German made light(Lupine) that puts out 500 lumens and is the size of a couple books of matches.
VERY bright, and the battery seems to last forever.

Paid around $300 for it-worth every penny, IME.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Why spend a lot of money on a flashlight when you'll probably lose it anyway. whistle

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I got this little feller last weekend as a prize and it's become my new favorite based on it's handy size and decent light output.
It's about 2/3 the length of a tube of chapstick and only slightly fatter. It has a 2 hour run time and plugs into any 12v cigarette lighter or power point. It's no Surefire, but it's handy as all hell and has a light output similar to a 2AA mini-maglite.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by dryflyelk
I've seen these in stores and magazines for a long time now, and I've always wondered what the fuss was about. Is there something about a $300 surefire that makes it awesome? Do I need one? It seems like flashlights have come a long way since the minimag days, and you can get a pretty good light for $30 or so now.

What am I missing?

some folks think a Surefire is worth the freight. Some don't. Simple as that.
If you want an inexpensive flashlight, then buy one.

Sam......

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bruinruin
I got this little feller last weekend as a prize and it's become my new favorite based on it's handy size and decent light output.
It's about 2/3 the length of a tube of chapstick and only slightly fatter. It has a 2 hour run time and plugs into any 12v cigarette lighter or power point. It's no Surefire, but it's handy as all hell and has a light output similar to a 2AA mini-maglite.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

One of the nice things about this kind of stuff is how the technology "trickles down", that is, you can pay $$$ for a good light one year, and a couple of years down the line you can pick up something as good if not better for a fraction of the cost.
Win win!!

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
yeah, the Chinese steal the technology, make a copy cat, and we fall all over ourselves buying them, and forcing the American company to go out of business.

Sam......

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I hunt deer late in the day and also fish in some pretty nasty rocky areas after dark. At my age, I sure don't want to get hurt or stranded because I can't see where I'm going. I don't need anything expensive (flashlights, headlamps). I'd rather take spares that weigh almost nothing and feel like I've covered all the bases. Marty

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
yeah, the Chinese steal the technology, make a copy cat, and we fall all over ourselves buying them, and forcing the American company to go out of business.

Ahhh geeze, Sam!
I hadn't thought about it that way.

FWIW, the maker of the best/brightest LED bulbs in the world is an American company-Creed, I think the name is.
That's what kind of bulbs my little German light has, at least.

James Elroy Flecker

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I bought a Surefire for about $30 with a leather scabbard a few years back that is very bright. I don't know what a $300 newer model would offer as far as brightness if it uses the same Surefire batery as my older model?
Some lights offer the blue/white colored light but I don't care for them.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I've got four Surefire flashlights. When I'm on a blood trail in thick cover when it is black dark, I want a reliable light that will turn night into day. That is why I buy Surefire.

RS

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you carry a handgun at night, I suggust you have a good quality flashlight on your person. My needs and application are different then the majority here. I carry a light be it night or day.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have 5 Surefires, best thing since sliced bread.

Jed York does not own the 49ers; Russell Wilson does.
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
No surefires here. I've got a streamlight and a bunch of maglites around and they're plenty good enough for me.

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Originally Posted by dryflyelk

What am I missing?

some folks think a Surefire is worth the freight. Some don't. Simple as that.
If you want an inexpensive flashlight, then buy one.

An expensive flashlight will give you excellent quality and a dented wallet. A less ex[pensive flashlight will give you (maybe) a little less quality and just as bright a light.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

655 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 1eyedmule, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 71 invisible), 3,034 guests, and 1,382 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,231
Posts18,485,667
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.