-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Be safe up there, we're closing up shop here in central AL in about 10 minutes. Already got some trees down causing power line fires just a few blocks away.

War Damn Eagle!

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ScoutmasterRick
I'll have to ask my folks who built theirs. I do know that the contractor overextended himself after the Spring tornadoes came through, and ended up running into some legal problems. Fortunately that was after they finished work on my folk's shelter.

We had ours put in by our general contractor when the house was built. Here are some pictures of it during construction:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The room has steel reinforcement rods running down through the blocks into the concrete slab below, and the blocks have been filled up with concrete making a solid wall. Its topped off by a 5" thick steel reinforced concrete root.

Here is how it looks from the outside after being bricked up.
[Linked Image]

That's how mine is built as an extention of the garage. It doesn't take up a lot of space and is worth it in every way.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ScoutmasterRick
I'll have to ask my folks who built theirs. I do know that the contractor overextended himself after the Spring tornadoes came through, and ended up running into some legal problems. Fortunately that was after they finished work on my folk's shelter.

We had ours put in by our general contractor when the house was built. Here are some pictures of it during construction:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The room has steel reinforcement rods running down through the blocks into the concrete slab below, and the blocks have been filled up with concrete making a solid wall. Its topped off by a 5" thick steel reinforced concrete root.

Here is how it looks from the outside after being bricked up.
[Linked Image]

My brother spent a good portion of the time since Apr. 27th working for a buddy of his up in H'ville doing rebuilds, roofs, and such from the tornadoes. They did real well, but it's pretty well played out for them, and he's back here working on the damage near B'ham from a couple of months back.

War Damn Eagle!

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
stay safe and keep an ear to the radio/TV.

BTW, "Tornadoes on the ground " is redundant. wink

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm the only one left at the office! laugh

Everyone else went home.

The wife and kid are on the way, as this is a much better structure than the pile of sticks on a slab that we call "home".

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Be safe out there guys!

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by HugAJackass
I'm the only one left at the office! laugh

Everyone else went home.

The wife and kid are on the way, as this is a much better structure than the pile of sticks on a slab that we call "home".

HAJ,

Take a look at these folks. They're about three hours from you. LINK

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks Ed!

I like the idea of underground shelters, but what is hard to find are ones with hydraulic doors. I always worry about debris piling up ON the doors and then you cannot get out. Hydraulics would help....

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by HugAJackass
Thanks Ed!

I like the idea of underground shelters, but what is hard to find are ones with hydraulic doors. I always worry about debris piling up ON the doors and then you cannot get out. Hydraulics would help....

That's what Tractor Supply is for. grin

I wouldn't think that the sloped front shelters would be as prone to that.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Prayers on the way for everyone in the storm zone.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What hit N.Al. this AM just brushed the Southern TN. counties of Lincoln & Franklin with just rain and no damaging wind. The Northern counties of the state just had a lot of rain, such areas as Cookeville, but no damaging wind.

The NWS is stating that mid TN. has another storm series coming through between 1600-2000 hrs. that is coming out of the bootheel of MO. into TN. Most of the schools in the mid state have been released early due to storm risks.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Torcon "9" for Middle Tn according to Dr Greg on TWC

Here's my storm room. My walls are rebar threaded and filled with grout. 6" rebar webbed pour ceiling.

All accessible from my master bedroom

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Here we go again. My neighborhood was heavily damaged last time. I am in the Carter's Gin area.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
No kidding. I'm over by Sparkman HS. I seen it go just north of me. Been without electricity for about 4 hours.

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ed, I'm sure you did! Reports are that one hit Sparkman...

Turdlike, by default.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Looks like the second round is starting. The tornado sirens have been going off, and a tornado is reported tracking north of Athens between Ardmore and Harvest.

=====================
Boots were made for walking
Winds were blowing change
Boys fall in the jungle
As I Came of Age

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yep, I was on the phone with my wife when the Sirens started going. I tried to get her to bring the kid and herself to my office in Research Park. The sirens started going so I said just stay put.

Turdlike, by default.
N
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N

Stay Safe all of you.

Had reports here in New Zealand that Marysville is completely gone. And that central Nashville has been hit.

We're in the middle of a Weather Bomb here and getting pounded by 120kph (74.6 mph) winds and severe rain. Lots of town's in Central North Island have had severe damage.

look after yourselves!!!!

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Just had two lines come through here in the last hour. Tornado on the ground here and further East in more populated areas of Nashville. Hope the Hog Hunt boys are well clear, but they'll likely see it in an hour or so.

If the American People allow private banks to control the issuance of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks..., will deprive the People of all their Property,...Thomas Jefferson
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
My bosses son owns a roofing company down NC. Just got an email from him a few minutes ago, the building was destroyed...

Prayers sent. You boys stay safe!!!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

597 members (1minute, 1234, 117LBS, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 59 invisible), 2,498 guests, and 1,277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,874
Posts18,518,082
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.