Print Thread
Hop To
#6182727 02/16/12
B
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I want to buy an over under shotgun, probably a beretta. I only have enough cash for one. I am thinking either a 12 gauge or a 28 gauge. I will use it to hunt pheasants and shoot skeet, sporting clays, and trap. I know a 12 gauge is much cheaper to shoot. Just wanted some input from you guys on what you think. Thanks!

GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
12ga

If you want to be able to compete in sporting clays it is pretty much madatory. I am sure there are a few on here that will disagree. Maybe even say they are competitive with a sub-gauge but that isn't the truth. I once won my class at a small shoot using a 20ga. Had I tried that at a big blast event I would have been out of the money by a lot.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
12ga what he said.

"If what I say offends you, you should hear what I don't say."
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I would recommend you try a Zoli and Caeser Guerini as well as the Beretta. The Zoli is the best built out of the three in my opinion. Caeser Guerini's feel really good to me. Beretta would be the last in an OU that I would buy. But by no means are they not a good gun. See if you can hit up a few people to try their guns in Caeser, Zoli, and Beretta. Most guys are more then happy to let you shoot their guns.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by blackmamba
I will use it to hunt pheasants and shoot skeet, sporting clays, and trap.

For all but trap, I prefer my little 28 ga. Sure, I may be at a slight disadvantage in some venues, but I'm willing to make that concession just because I enjoy the 28 ga so much.

From the sounds of it, you want to have fun and "just shoot", not be hardcore on a course or range somewhere.

For that, the 28 will serve you fine. From a more practical standpoint though, it's hard to argue against the 12 ga for most anything that you'll ever want to do with a shotgun in your hands.

IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Slight would be an understatement. Unless all you shoot for sporting clays is charity events.

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
If you can only have one for all of those sports, it's gotta be a 12. I would hate to think I had to make do with only one though.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by OldForester
If you can only have one for all of those sports, it's gotta be a 12. I would hate to think I had to make do with only one though.

+1

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
Slight would be an understatement. Unless all you shoot for sporting clays is charity events.

We've been through this before...

I used to shoot rifle competitively. Got to where it was no fun any longer so stopped.

Have never shot a registered target with a shotgun, and never will. I have zero desire to be involved in formal competition any more, in any of the shooting sports. I shoot solely for fun with friends, and most days don't even bother to take a score card with us.

Read my post again... notice the "fun" theme behind it? That's why I shoot nowadays.

Hard to comprehend for some I guess....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nothin more fun than a 28! For serious shooting its a 12 bore game but for fun I totaly agree with ColdBore, the 28 is king.

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by ColdBore
I may be at a slight disadvantage in some venues, but I'm willing to make that concession just because I enjoy the 28 ga so much.

Exactly what you wrote. Which makes your statement wrong, slight disadvantage no you are at a major disadvantage lets be honest here.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I guess it depends on your perspective... slight, major, whatever...

By the way, how many is "slight", and what constitutes "major"?

I'm willing to give up a few, or a lot, or however many, birds. It really doesn't matter to me how many it might be on any given day.

You on the other hand, must feel some sort of intense shame if you miss a single bird, have to admit to failure when the scores go up on the board, and then fret about your average.

Shame you can't just relax and shoot for fun, I feel for ya... cool

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by OldForester

YES !

Get the 12 ga.

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much" Teddy Roosevelt
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
For upland hunting i love my 28 ga Beretta O&U, but if Sporting Clay will be you game then the 12 ga would be the best. If i wanted a smaller gauge, then the 20 ga would be my choice , it will do just about anything the 12 ga will if you can shoot.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I got a 28 gauge I use for early season grouse and partridge and maybe even opening weekend of pheasants. After that it just isn't quite enough gun for late season pheasants in MT. Sure is a nice little gun to carry though.

F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
Just idle thoughts from an idle fella. I have used a 28 ga. beretta O/U on everything from quail to sage grouse. With the right shells it will get the job done if you do your part. I use a 12 ga very little on upland game, my big gun is generally a 20 ga.

I shoot a lot of sporting clays for fun and practice. The bunch I shoot with does not use a score card. But nearly all the time more targats are broken with a 12 ga., as opposed to a 20 or 28.

AJD Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
At this time in my life, if I were to have only one shotgun, it would be a 20. I know it�s not the choice you stated, but it is mine. In a previous life, I used nothing but a 12 and let the 20s sit. Now I am back to the 20s and the 12s get no action. I found they (20s) do about everything I want to do with a shotgun, and are just more fun.

I also have a couple of 28s, a Browning and a Berretta. I love the 28s, but if only one, it would be a 20.

My 28ga Beretta is especially nice with the scaled receiver, and it has 26� barrels. I use extended choke tubes as such, it is about perfect for me. Fast, short, light, and handy.

There is no accounting for taste.

Experience is a great thing as long as one survives it.

Generally, there ain't a lot that separates the two however,
Barely making it is a whole lot more satisfying than barely not making it.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

531 members (204guy, 12344mag, 219DW, 222Sako, 2500HD, 1Longbow, 66 invisible), 2,413 guests, and 1,241 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,301
Posts18,487,081
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.