Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Took BRAND NEW Rem & Win brass... several pieces won't extract. Took the new brass, FL resize, trim, and still won't extract. WTF. Frustrated, ordered some Norma brass....extracts smooth as silk.

Side Note: With the Rem and Win brass, sometimes had to close the bolt with some gusto to get the extractor to grab the case. If you try to cycle the action slow, it won't grab the case....what gives???

HR IC

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
It sounds like it's headspace related, either in the rifle itself, or from over-sizing the cases?

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
99% sure it ain't the brass

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Sounds to me like it might be the thickness of the rims on the Win. and Rem. brass. Have seen this occasionally cause problems with push-feed extractors. The extractor can be (carefully!) modified to slip over the rim.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
rifle?

IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I always size NEW brass... that is why I picked up body dies in several calibers... bump that shoulder back and make sure it will chamber before I load it..

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
The rifle in question is a Browning X-bolt.
The Dies are RCBS X-sizer dies.
MuleDeer....i thought about that as the Norma brass cycles without a hitch and the Norma brass seems to be visually superior to my other brass. How would you modify the extractor if need be?

Prior to this, some new brass, loaded and fired from this gun, after FL resize would not extract. Had to partial resize to get those pieces to cycle. At that time I never thought of trying to measure the rim thickness, I just tossed the brass as I have alot on hand.

I hope to fire some Norma brass this weekend and resize to see if the same thing happens.......hopefully not.... Thank you.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I don't think it is the brass either. Sounds like more of an extractor issue.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Did you try chamber any of the virgin hulls before you sized them? I've never sized new brass. Just run the expander ball through the neck to make sure it's round, chamfer the case mouth, load and go.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
"Had it with Rem, and Win. brass in 7/08........ "

Okay.

IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
mailmanmark,

The extractor problem is fixed by grinding a very slight amount of steel off the rear of the extractor.

I had this happen once with a new NULA in .257 Roberts. It wouldn't extract Remington cases every time, so I called Melvin. He said he sets the extractor with the brass he has on hand, which in this instance happened to be Winchester.

Normally he'd ask for the rifle to be sent back, with some of the brass, but he trusted me enough to explain how to do the job. I did it (carefully!) and the problem was solved.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
16bore........yes I did.....with all the brass. Norma brass is the only one where every piece cycles flawlessly.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by mailmanmark
Took BRAND NEW Rem & Win brass... several pieces won't extract. Took the new brass, FL resize, trim, and still won't extract. WTF. Frustrated, ordered some Norma brass....extracts smooth as silk.

Side Note: With the Rem and Win brass, sometimes had to close the bolt with some gusto to get the extractor to grab the case. If you try to cycle the action slow, it won't grab the case....what gives???

Never had any issues with Rem 708 brass.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have used Remington 7mm-08 brass exclusively for about five years with no problems. It sounds like a case of tight tolerances on the extractor and maybe tolerances on the thick side on the brass. I'd hate to have to pay Norma prices if not necessary. Try Mule Deer's fix; just be careful.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Would love to but unsure on how to go about it.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
If its a new rifle, why don't you see what Browning has to say. Before you start tinkering with it. Anything you would do to it might void any warrenty.
Seems I have read somewhere that the european companies begin with a generic case that is basic to the 7x57. The rim is slightly smaller and thinner. That is what they use even when they are making "American" cases. ie 30-06,.308, etc. On the other hand, the American companies use a generic case based on the 30-06. Even when they are making "european" brass. It seems that it works okay in both directions as a rule.

Aim for the exit hole.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Do the Remington and Winchester cases fail to extract after firing? or only while test cycling for function?

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Some of the NEW-UNFIRED brass won't extract. All fired cases extract because i test for function prior to firing. Problem reappears when you FL resize the cases, trim etc.... and then some of the cases won't extract. Very perplexing. I plan to shoot some Norma brass today to see if the same problem occurs. If the Norma brass works okay.....then I won't screw with it any longer and just use Norma brass on this particular gun.

Stillbeeman...... no it's not a new gun, new to me, but it's over a year old.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
If a case that wouldn't extract before being fired will extract after being fired then the problem is due to excess headspace being created during your sizing operation. (you're oversizing the brass, and bumping the shoulder back too far) The rim of the case is too far forward for the extractor to catch. This is not an uncommon problem and can be created with some sizing dies, shellholder combinations, etc. When fired, the cases expand to the proper headspace and the extractor can again reach the rim. As some posters above have said, it's probably not the brass itself. Do you have case headspace comparator to campare the cases? I hope this makes sense and helps with the problem.
Rick

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Unfortunately this is not the case. If the case won't cycle to begin with, I don't even load it.

The more I tinker with this, the more i'm leading to believe that it is an extractor issue. I just spent the better part of an hour thoroughly cleaning(again) the bolt assembly. Prior to this, when closing the bolt and applying a little pressure downward on the bolt, you could hear the extractor "snap" over the rim. After cleaning, and well lubricating, no noise is heard.

This morning I fired some Norma brass. FL resize, trim...etc... the Norma brass cycled fine.

I wish there was a way to contact Browning via e-mail....

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

98 members (3dtestify, 358wsm, 280Ackleyrized, 338Rules, 35, 10 invisible), 1,016 guests, and 884 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,091
Posts18,522,126
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.