Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Never hunted east of Idaho and know nothing about hunting opportunities in Alabama, but will be at Fort Rucker this summer for up to two years and would like to hunt, given the time and opportunity.

Anyone know of the deer hunting that way? Have looked up seasons and bag limits, certainly not the usual one per year I'm used to.

Much opportunity on public land? Any tips would be appreciated.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
NWO

You are in for a shock sir.

Are you military? You said "at Fort Rucker" so I assume you are. If so, that would be a great place to hunt.

Other options are Federal or State Parks, or a hunting club/lease. Stay away from the Wildlife Management Areas (WMA's), when the sun comes up, you'll see bright orange caps about every 3rd tree in every direction.

The Federal land is huge, and not too awfully crowded.

You will find little to no luck getting a landowner to let you hunt their property. They have all learned that there is money in leasing, and do so.

Your best bet to get deer regularly, is to join a hunting club. They tend to do it right here and practice great management. They keep member numbers low in relation to the land so the deer on those parts are often decent sized and not overly pressured.

Where deer hunting is tricky to come by, you will be coming to hog heaven. You can hunt pigs year round, with no bag limit.

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
FWIW, there are a lot of Alabama Campfire members, and sadly, most of us got skunked on deer this year....

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Think I'll probably enjoy the hog hunting more than the deer smile

Haven't explored opportunites on base, will start looking into that though.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Oh man, a good hog hunt is an adrenaline filled ride like no other.

This coming from a former UH-60 crew chief grin

Turdlike, by default.
IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Not sure which airframe I prefer, but the 60 is in the running.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I knew you'd understand grin

Welcome to Alabama.

Turdlike, by default.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I live and hunt about 15 miles from Ft Rucker. You will struggle to kill deer on base, the hogs ran them off. There is no productive public land in the area. Barbour County Wildlife Management Area isn't too far but its WAYYYYY to crowded. There are lots of deer in the area around Ft. Rucker but hunting club memberships are at a premium with very restrictive management rules taking a lot of the fun out of it. As has already been mentioned, forget about landowners giving you access. Every piece of property is already hunted, no matter how large or small, and most of them probably charge their kids to hunt. Considering that and the liberal bag limits its amazing we have the numbers that we do. I'm overrun with deer. A testimony for the cover density no doubt.

I know I'm painting a grim picture. Shoot Hondo64d a PM. He was stationed in Rucker for a while and is a big time deer hunter (and hog slayer to boot). I'm afraid he's going to make it sound worse than I did. On the bright side, shooting/hunting is how I met John (Hondo64d) and he's now a very close friend.

Get up with me and I'll do anything I can for you. And don't be to discouraged, I killed two decent deer this year at my home and saw a few more that were bigger but I couldn't get on them (one was a bruiser).

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Nice bucks

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Drop me a PM when you get down here and done with WOC school. I am on a lease, we can take guests. You can only shoot does/cull bucks as a guest, but at least you could kill something and put meat in the freezer.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Cool, appreciate it

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If want to travel a bit I hunt the talledega national forrest around Childersburg. Would be glad to show you around and do some hunts. Welcome to 'Bama

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by NWO
Never hunted east of Idaho and know nothing about hunting opportunities in Alabama, but will be at Fort Rucker this summer for up to two years and would like to hunt, given the time and opportunity.

Anyone know of the deer hunting that way? Have looked up seasons and bag limits, certainly not the usual one per year I'm used to.

Much opportunity on public land? Any tips would be appreciated.

I live 45min from Fort Rucker and have a lot of friends that actually do a lot of hunting on Fort Rucker itself for deer and hogs. It's bow mainly but there are some gun days.

Whatever a 7x57 can do a 270 can do better.

True fair chase is you in the woods buttnaked with nothing but your finger nails and teeth.

If you'e fixin' to put a hole in something, make it a hole to remember.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
PM to me and maybe we can make a hunt at my tree farm in Escambia County.

A day without gunfire is hardly worth living.
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Wouldn't mind going archery for deer again if it helps out. Are most areas pretty thick, broken, open?

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Most, if not all, of the areas are thick. Planted pines with controlled burns is about as open as it gets.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Grizzly Albert
PM to me and maybe we can make a hunt at my tree farm in Escambia County.

Nice offer right there! Love Dauphin Island area BTW.

Last edited by 444Matt; 03/02/12.
J
jmj Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
There's a couple of good leases I know about that will be looking for members. They are up close to Hurtsboro. Probably be an hour run for you, maybe 1.5 but both have nice campgrounds.
PM if you are interested.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by jmj
There's a couple of good leases I know about that will be looking for members. They are up close to Hurtsboro. Probably be an hour run for you, maybe 1.5 but both have nice campgrounds.

Hurtsboro is the finest deer hunting in the Southeast as far as I'm concerned. The deer density in that area is crazy thick and it produces quality bucks. If you're serious about hunting I'd definitely check out opportunities in this area.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jmj

Sent ya a PM jmj, thanks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

417 members (1beaver_shooter, 16gage, 10gaugemag, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 1_deuce, 19rabbit52, 43 invisible), 2,687 guests, and 1,329 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,315
Posts18,526,361
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.