-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
G
OP Offline
G
Wondering if anyone had any thoughts to get me in the right direction for this falls general season in Wyoming. I originally put in with a friend at the suggestion of an outfitter I met in Sacremento but after we drew he was now full. We will be traveling from POW in AK but will have access to a 4X4 if needed. Anyone have an outfitter suggestion? Lease options they may be willing to share? Public land? I am researching now but there are lots of options and I would like to narrow it down. Any help is appreciated, looking forward to seeing Wyoming!

Gooch

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Call WY game and Fish main office. Nice folks you can point you once you define your hunt goals and limitations.

One of best outfitters up our way:
http://www.wyoming-elk-hunting.net/

Elk country in WY varies from this to this and your budget, age, heath and experience are very important.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Hey NSAQAM, Larry is very "IN", LOL
You also dishonor the 28th division by using the unit patch as an insult.
As for the liar, welcher Bricktop, his day is fast approaching.
Coward trolls won't accept PMs.
How's the phantom "campfire" coming ?
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Harold Turner, Triangle X Ranch and Outfitters, Moose WY 307 733-2183

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by goochwarner
I originally put in with a friend at the suggestion of an outfitter I met in Sacremento but after we drew he was now full.
Gooch

You drew a tag already?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The WY elk draw results are already posted. Deadline was Jan 31

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by exbiologist
The WY elk draw results are already posted. Deadline was Jan 31

I wish Colorado was like that.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Cocadori
Originally Posted by goochwarner
I originally put in with a friend at the suggestion of an outfitter I met in Sacremento but after we drew he was now full.
Gooch

You drew a tag already?

I've already gotten my check back.

If you love someone set them free
If they come back no one else liked them
Set them free again
G
OP Offline
G
Yea we got our tags already, we were kind of hoping to not get them this year and build a point (heading to Alberta for mulies) but it is a pleasant surprise.

After posting the question i realized that under the general tag, getting info would be like asking for someones secret spot so I apologize for that. I guess I was kind of relying on the outfitter's recommendation and now that he's full I was a bit of a quandry.

I do appreciate the responses though, as for what we're looking for, I truly hate horses (after my last elk) but would use one if needed. We're both 35, guide here in AK for moose/bear but I am not in sheep shape.... In shape enough to walk all day. Budget $5000 or less per dude. Expectations are large 5 PT or 6 PT, would be totally fine not shooting an elk as well if we didn't find one. Looking for a good hunt, in new beautiful country, with a good friend. If we use an outfitter we are looking for one that puts fun first and actually knows elk. Area must have potential to produce a 5 PT or bigger. Too much to ask?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
About the only thing you need do, is steer clear of any elk areas with large designated wilderness unless you have a guide. I'ld also recommend you not waste your time in either of the areas in the Big Horns that are open for general license hunting.
Other than that take a look at the game and fish website at the hunter success tables, and pick an area with good success numbers.
You can expect a large 5 or 6 pt, but you'll eat more elk steak if you shoot the first legal elk you get a shot at...

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
One can also wait a couple of weeks and outfitters and guides will begin mailing you invitations.

1Minute
IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by 1minute
One can also wait a couple of weeks and outfitters and guides will begin mailing you invitations.

tru dat...

then the research, e-mails and phone calls on your part begin.

Also, It depends on where you want to hunt and what type of hunt you are after.

I'd say Thorofare but with the wolves the way they are that's a roll of the dice too...

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
If you're serious about an outfitter, get on the website for the Wyoming Outfitters and Guides Association and start making contacts around Cody, Jackson, Pinedale, Dubois, Big Piney, Kemmerer, and Alpine. Or, do what 1minute suggests, as outfitters will begin mailings soon.
If it's a bugle hunt you're looking for, Gene Linn(Linn Brothers Outfitting in WYOGA directory) hunts the west side of the Tetons, where the season opens on Sept. 20. I've got some good feedback on him, and in the past have referred nonresident elk, moose, and sheep hunters to him, but as always, check references. I'm afraid most of the outfitters use horses, and many may want more money than your budget allows.
If you want to do it yourself, avoid the areas with lots of wilderness, as Ranch13 advised, and the areas in the Bighorns with too much pressure. If you call the Game and Fish offices in Cody, Jackson, Pinedale, and Lander and ask to talk to a biologist you might get some advice on a good spot to hunt with your general license. I can tell you some down here in southern WY, if you send me a PM, but it's not typical elk habitat like NW WY. Of course, we don't have grizzlies, either

Living proof that expressing your opinion is not a good career advancement strategy.

There comes a time in a man's life when he has to start cutting and quit straddling fences. Ed Abbey
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Shoal Creek outfitters in Jackson Hole. 307-733-1310 Scott has 4 different camps and he'll treat you right. Tell him Larry sent you.

Stupidity is expensive
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
How's are his camps fairing the wolf situation?

I know the guys in the Thorofare are having some issues.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
His camps out of Pilgrim creek are more affected than the ones down in Shoal Creek. The good thing for him is that his camps are seperated enough that they usually aren't hit all at the same time so he can move folks around as needed.

Stupidity is expensive
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Good Deal.. flexibility for the clients are a good thing.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

458 members (160user, 1Longbow, 1badf350, 17CalFan, 1lesfox, 163bc, 40 invisible), 2,454 guests, and 1,139 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,331
Posts18,526,685
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.